Last game(s) you bought

The reviews convinced me to get it.

Ghost of Tsushima. Looks promising

I plan to grab it too. I've never been super hyped on it but after watching that ~20 minute video a couple of months back, I've been cautiously optimistic. The reviews seem to be mostly solid (40+ 90% or better reviews) with most of the dissenting ones either sick of open world games in general, not impressed with the story, or both. I'm not really sick of open world games; I accept a certain amount of repetition and not every mission being unique and memorable. The second part worries me more, but overall I'm still onboard enough to get it on Friday.

The degree to which Sony has kicked Microsoft's butt on exclusives is almost embarrassing. Assuming Ghost of Tsushima isn't ass, that's like the eighth good to great game that's only on PS4. Pretty much ensures that when I get around to buying into the upcoming next gen, it's going to be in the form of a Playstation (I already know I want the announced Horizon sequel)

The two main things that attracted me to Ghost of Tsushima was the art-style, which some people have been raving about. Apparently each biome is quite different and striking as far as appearance goes.

And the second thing is the combat system, which apparently is a nice middleground between Sekiro/Souls-like and Assassin's Creed.

I was on the fence about getting it, but seeing youtubers are sorta trust (Skill-Up, ACG, Yongyea) give it glowing reviews, I jumped in.

About Sony exclusives, yeah, it's no contest. So many frikkin awesome exclusives. It's a fucking shame because MS has the funds to do it. And they seem to be throwing millions around like a bunch of idiots (see what they did with Mixer). I hope they manage to acquire the WarnerBros games studios, which is rumored to be on sale. It's a real shame they can't get their act together.

Doubt I'll ever buy another console so console exclusives can kiss my behind. Let me rephrase that I hate when any game is exclusive to any platform or console.:p

Anyway I just bought Crying Suns, Warhammer 40,000: Gladius & Iratus: Lord of the Dead. Used coupons and found cheap keys for sale. So I didn't spend that much.

How's Ghost of Tsushima working out for those who bought it? I got off to a slow start. The camera's lack of tracking and the funky jumping (it's hard to just step off a log and shit like that) threw me off. But I'm really getting into the flow now. I've done some fun stories (the first Mythic tale I encountered was a highlight), and I think they nailed the combat.

I've not managed to get far. For some reason the starting areas are very dark, and you hardly see anything. With and without HDR enabled. I hope there's not very many dark areas going foward.

And I've also had some issues with the auto-facing towards the closes enemy. Some times it works, other times it doesn't. Also due to the camera being so far away, when I have an enemy right in front, I can't accurately judge the distance. So, it's been finicky, and not the best so far. But maybe it just takes some getting used to. I've seen people being able to pull off quite impressive combos.

The story seems to be it's lowest grade. Seems fairly generic.

But the people seem to like/love it overall. I'll see how I feel later on. But I expect I'll probably like it decently enough. But for me it's on a different/lower tier than TLOU2. Even though most fans hated it, and seem to love this.

The latest covnersations about Final Fantasy saga sprouted some nostalgia, so I bought Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition last night. I'll give it a go during the day, and hope it's not terrible. I don't have high expectations, which hopefully will help towards not immediately uninstalling it.

I've not managed to get far. For some reason the starting areas are very dark, and you hardly see anything. With and without HDR enabled. I hope there's not very many dark areas going foward.

And I've also had some issues with the auto-facing towards the closes enemy. Some times it works, other times it doesn't. Also due to the camera being so far away, when I have an enemy right in front, I can't accurately judge the distance. So, it's been finicky, and not the best so far. But maybe it just takes some getting used to. I've seen people being able to pull off quite impressive combos.

The story seems to be it's lowest grade. Seems fairly generic.

But the people seem to like/love it overall. I'll see how I feel later on. But I expect I'll probably like it decently enough. But for me it's on a different/lower tier than TLOU2. Even though most fans hated it, and seem to love this.

It is dark. That hasn't changed for me in my ~6 hours.

The camera never auto faces anybody or anything for me. You have to manually move it around. That threw me off big time at first because it's so unlike other games, but I've largely gotten used to it. It seems an intentional design choice to make combat against multiple opponents a more realistic affair - enemies don't attack you one by one, politely, like they do in many games; you have to manage them, sidestepping, rolling, parrying, striking efficiently and then moving... it ends up being pretty cool.

It is absolutely at a lower tier than TLOU2, but I expected that. For me, TLOU2 is at the highest tier there is. Some of the story stuff is fairly generic, but I've also come across some that I really enjoyed. Without spoilers, there are mythic tales, where there is literally a tale told to you complete with stylized storybook visuals, and that had quest had lots of nice touches and atmosphere (including the hardest and thus most satisfying fight I've had so far)

It is dark. That hasn't changed for me in my ~6 hours.

The camera never auto faces anybody or anything for me. You have to manually move it around. That threw me off big time at first because it's so unlike other games, but I've largely gotten used to it. It seems an intentional design choice to make combat against multiple opponents a more realistic affair - enemies don't attack you one by one, politely, like they do in many games; you have to manage them, sidestepping, rolling, parrying, striking efficiently and then moving… it ends up being pretty cool.

It is absolutely at a lower tier than TLOU2, but I expected that. For me, TLOU2 is at the highest tier there is. Some of the story stuff is fairly generic, but I've also come across some that I really enjoyed. Without spoilers, there are mythic tales, where there is literally a tale told to you complete with stylized storybook visuals, and that had quest had lots of nice touches and atmosphere (including the hardest and thus most satisfying fight I've had so far)

Cool, I'll make sure to keep at it then.
So there's no auto-facing at all? Why did I feel like there was?

No there is no lock on and the camera doesn’t follow you. It’s very weird but I’ve gotten used to it. Other than that I feel you get technique points to quickly. The game overall is a real gem though imo. I’ll start a ghost of Tsushima thread tomorrow since this is off topic, unless someone beats me to it.

No there is no lock on and the camera doesn’t follow you. It’s very weird but I’ve gotten used to it. Other than that I feel you get technique points to quickly. The game overall is a real gem though imo. I’ll start a ghost of Tsushima thread tomorrow since this is off topic, unless someone beats me to it.

It was the perfect way to do it, as it turns out. I was just surrounded (literally; they were in a circle around me) by five enemies and it looked JUST like a samurai movie as I fought and killed them all. That would never work if the camera kept swiveling behind me. Enemies who were behind me couldn't be seen at all. As it is, I can see and react to attacks from any direction and the animations are quite good at making it all look very fluid.

Not sure if this belongs here… but I've preordered MS Flight Sim 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition (yes, this is the infamous physical hundred-dvd-edition)

Gotta dig up my trusty Thrustmaster FCS to tame this beast.

I've bought a lot of games since the (recently finished) Steam Summer Sales started, including some games still in Early Access stage which I did because I recognize the developers' effort to try and bring us the better game possible:

• Atom RPG Trudograd
  • Dead Age 2
  • Immortal Realms: Vampire Wars
  • Urtuk: The Desolation

Last edited:
Mortal Shell
Othercide
Hellpoint
Haxity
Necromunda
Fort Triumph
Stoneshard

Upcoming:

Blightbound
Cardaclysm

Those are my gems this year, including preorders.

Was curious about this one, since most people have been raving about it. So I got Destroy all humans! It's pretty fun and hilarious.

Had a blast with that one back in 2005 when it came out ... contemplating grabbing it again, glad it turned out well!

Back
Top Bottom