Non-RPG General News - RPG Codex's Top Non-RPG PC Games

Still taking everything personally I see. :)

Actually, pretty much everything you said was redundant. It's also obvious that you posted the second time because you thought certain comments must have been meant for you even though they weren't. It seems to be a recurring theme.

You are wrong. I didn't quote any post in my reply, as it was just adding more to my own opinion. I did quote your post when you did address me later. One thing I do agree with, though - someone in this thread is feeling addressed when they are not, and in my short time here, I can tell it's a recurring theme. ;)

Last edited:
That list is full of great games. Many of them all time classics and many still worth playing. Visuals or interface of these old classics may be obsolete, but not gameplay, that is timeless. I get that might be hard to understand if you prefer to watch over play.

You are wrong. I didn't quote any post in my reply, as it was just adding more to my own opinion. I did quote your post when you did address me later. One thing I do agree with, though - someone in this thread is feeling addressed when they are not, and in my short time here, I can tell it's a recurring theme. ;)

3b6b9087c2a4f83d0370517b175a8963--business-cards-a-business.jpg

I'm curious what other titles people would add to the list if ithey could. As for myself, I'd consider…

• Dead Space
  • BioShock
  • Dying Light
  • Prey
  • Freelancer
  • Return to Castle Wolfenstein
  • Crysis
  • Alien Isolation
  • Metro Exodus

Freelancer is just an inferior version of Privateer though? It might make my top 50 anyway though because Privateer would be near the top :)

The reason the list is packed with games from in and around 1997 is two-fold.

Firstly, the codex is a Fallout fan-site, a sort of No Mutants Allowed but with the caveat that they are encouraged to slag off the new Fallouts rather than moderated against it. And Fallout came out in 1997.

Secondly, that whole era, from 1996-2004 was the golden age of Windows games. While DOS games were too cumbersome for most but also console games were too lightweight, Windows 95/8/XP was like a revolution in gaming that provided the opportunity to play complex games in an uncomplex way with mouse-clicking ease.

It's no surprise that the home computer boom happened in this era and that the games that were made in this time really felt like a gigantic leap in technology and overall quality from the 'experimental' phase of DOS and the like.

I can't say I like their list though as it's not really a list of best games of all time as much as it's a list of best PC games, because I don't know anyone who didn't love Super Mario when it came out, nor Street Fighter II nor indeed Streets of Rage, as three examples of pre-windows games that still hold up even to this day.

One can't help feeling that 'site reputation' played a bigger part in what people were voting for than what they actually liked and would say are their favourite games of all time.

Good or bad, I'm just happy to see MOO, MOM, XCOM, and HOMM3 all within the top 20 of a list like this finally. Only 203 codex users voted, but I think my list would have been similar if only looking at older games.
By the way you can get Master of Magic on Steam with the Caster of Magic DLC if you feel like playing the old classic again.

Blood is fantastic. Have you ever played it? It was easily on par with Duke Nukem 3D with which it shared the same engine, and most fans of shooters consider Duke a classic of the genre.

Nightdive recently released a modernized version on Steam. If you like shooters at all, you should give it a try.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1010750/Blood_Fresh_Supply/

I didn't like it that much when it was originally released. Surely not enough to include it on my Top 50 Non-RPG List.
And I didn't know about this modernized version you spoke of. Perhaps I'll get it in the next Summer Sales and give it a try for real :thumbsup:

I would add the first Fantasy General. Some of that may be nostalgia but I replayed it when it came to GoG a few years ago and really enjoyed it again. Just a fantastic campaign.

I'm curious what other titles people would add to the list if ithey could. As for myself, I'd consider…

• Dead Space
  • BioShock
  • Dying Light
  • Prey
  • Freelancer
  • Crysis
  • Alien Isolation
  • Metro Exodus

You have a good list there. :)
Personally, I can't understand why System Shock 2 isn't among the Codex's Top 50 Non-RPG list. The original System Shock is #32 and System Shock is nowhere to be found. It's a sin!!! I would have listed both games in my Top-50, and System Shock 2 surely among the Top 10.
Other games in my Top 50 Non-RPG list are:
  • Firaxis' XCOM2 (yes, I know I'm biased towards this game, I really like it :) )
  • Civilization V
  • Endless Legends
  • Borderlands / Borderlands 2
  • Galactic Civilizations II

Last edited:

• Dead Space
  • BioShock
  • Dying Light
  • Prey
  • Freelancer
  • Crysis
  • Alien Isolation
  • Metro Exodus

All good choices there.

You have a good list there. :)
Personally, I can't understand why System Shock 2 isn't among the Codex's Top 50 Non-RPG list. The original System Shock is #32 and System Shock is nowhere to be found. It's a sin!!! I would have listed both games in my Top-50, and System Shock 2 surely among the Top 10.
Other games in my Top 50 Non-RPG list are:
  • Firaxis' XCOM2 (yes, I know I'm biased towards this game, I really like it :) )
  • Civilization V
  • Endless Legends
  • Borderlands / Borderlands 2
  • Galactic Civilizations II

Also good choices.

Also,

Red dead redemption 2
Minecraft
age of wonders(any)

I miss games like Ninja Gaiden, Resident Evil (any of the first three would make a top 50 list), Super Mario 3 / Super Mario World, Terraria (maybe they consider this a RPG?), Medal of Honor... also even tho sport games are kinda niche, I remember back then Pro Evolution Soccer being all the rage amongst my friends, it was like the ultimate game to live for. Just to mention a few off the top of my head.

The list is very biased and encased in general.

I miss games like Ninja Gaiden, Resident Evil (any of the first three would make a top 50 list), Super Mario 3 / Super Mario World, Terraria (maybe they consider this a RPG?), Medal of Honor… also even tho sport games are kinda niche, I remember back then Pro Evolution Soccer being all the rage amongst my friends, it was like the ultimate game to live for. Just to mention a few off the top of my head.

The list is very biased and encased in general.

That is ridiculous, I dont get your aversion. Methodology of how list was put together is openly shared and there is no reason to doubt it. Its just sum of statistical data. No one pretends it is ultimate list valid for everyone. Jesus Christ.

I suspect System Shock 2 isn't on the list because they consider it an RPG.

Or perhaps that :thumbsup: Now that you mentioned it, this is the only reason not to include SS2 on their aforemetioned list.

Homm3, Tie Fighter and Xcom? I approve of this list. I enjoyed all of the games I've played on that list, and it's silly to have an opinion on the ones I haven't.

Back
Top Bottom