Where has the humour gone ?

Thank you. This is very touching.
It's what I always do at work. And people love me for doing that. :)

I'm glad you posted that.

My perception till this point based on the collective posts you've made on this thread is that you are akin to a black hole of gloom. Glad to have that challenged.

Well, partly yes. I've had lots of troubles in the family, the "Team Corwin" knows what I'm talking about.

But still - I do miss humour and lightheartedness from ... what seems to me ages ago ...

Germans might perhaps remember the Systhema Verlag. Sadly, they didn't sell well enough, I was once tild by former employees.

That publisher Systhema published great parodies and funny books about computers and software. DOS 9, for example, or the MS-DOSe ... these are books I'll always keep in my memory. Or Batchman !

The Day Of The Tentacle. Larry Laffer. Lemmings. Roger Wilco.

Even the Bernd das Brot adventure game didn't sell.

I miss those times.

We got Counterstrike instead. Call of Duty. The GTA series. Far Cry. Black Mirror. The Last Of Us. God Of War. Hitman. Assassin's Creed. Godslayer. Total War. Sunless Sea.

People wanted "mature" games. They got "mature" games. But someone forgot that mature people do love jokes and laughing as well !

People wanted "mature" games, and believed that this means "dark, grim". And they got dark and grim games.

It's like doing a meal, but leaving out some essential herbs and spices, because in their minds they believed that these herbs or spices didn't belong to that kind of meal.

@Alrik Fassbauer; they are tons of funny, hilarious, amusing games (released in recent years) out there. Please stop whining!

Ikenfell
The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk
The Disgaea series
Hero U
West of Loathing
Doom & Destiny
etc.

Humor in gaming is a hard thing to do to be honest. It's really hard to actually be funny. And then take the stifling atmosphere in past few years, that doubles or triples the difficulty, because truly funny humor can sometimes be offensive, and now we have to cater to the most sensitive, walk on egg shells type mindset, where just about anything can be considered "offensive", due to over sensitivity.

Its hard to be funny with that ball and chain.

I think if a game really wants to go for humor, they have to focus on it as a prime goal, and not as an afterthought either. I don't find many games funny, its much more usually a cringe type of humor. Instead of "hahaha - that was laugh out loud funny!" its usually - "How in the world did they ever think this would be funny??" (cringe)

On an old archive CD I found the old, then downloadable song variation by blizzard : The Twelve Days Of Christmas.
I found it quite funny, but … does anyone have the written text of it ? Some voices are really hard to understand due to their voice distortion.
They also did a crazy rap version of Cain, too.
And a Helloween session, but that's even harder to understand for me.
Yet I don't remember any other company which has made such a parody of itself and of its in-game characters.
Edit : I found the text ! : https://starcraft.fandom.com/wiki/Twelve_Days_of_StarCraft

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom