HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Solasta: Crown of the Magister got a new patch:

Solasta January Patch - Patch Notes

Hey there again folks,

It's time for the January Patch! This small update should work out most out the bugs released with December's Winter Update, as well as a few others that thrived in our game since our Early Access came out in October. This means... it's patch note time!

[...]

Patch Download Size
As we often see people complaining about the size of each update, I'd like to clarify once more why you're more or less re-downloading the entire game every time. Long story short, due to how Unity works (the engine Solasta is running on) we've had to make a choice between longer loading time, or bigger patch download size - and considering we're not too keen on making loading screens even longer than they already are, we've prefered to choose the latter. That's pretty much the short version of it :(

[...]
Thanks Redglyph!

More information.

43a9c121fffe8bd3b154e791881b5bd61f4e6929.jpg

Best part of the patchnotes for me.

One reason I really like this company is that even their Patch Notes make a very entertaining read; they're full of humour!!

Seems the developers love their pets based on the photos.:lol:

Guess they moved on from the cat. To bad as I'm a cat person.

I'm really looking forward to the full release of this game. I hope they keep up the good work. :)

I was going to pick it up to try, but I'm not paying $35 for an EA AD&D combat simulator. It gives me Temple of Elemental Evil vibes and that game was a bust. Hope I'm wrong though. I bought Low Magic Age instead. Poorer graphics but same gameplay ;)

I was going to pick it up to try, but I'm not paying $35 for an EA AD&D combat simulator. It gives me Temple of Elemental Evil vibes and that game was a bust.;)
Yep Temple of Elemental Evil is probably the closest comparison for the game.

Anyway I'd say wait for the full release to purchase. Also a new campaign mod for Fallout NV was released. I know you love those games. Well Skyrim the most it seems.

Last edited:
Yep Temple of Elemental Evil is probably the closest comparison for the game.

Anyway I'd say wait for the full release to purchase. Also a new campaign mod for Fallout NV was released. I know you love those games. Well Skyrim the most it seems.
I haven't played it but it looks drier and much more of a dungeon crawler. Solasta isn't heavily story-driven but it's there, it also sets a more playful "tabletop-like" atmosphere.

Maybe The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk is closer, though this one seems more scripted and contains a little more in-game chatter, its theme is also more cartoonesque and derisively. But I haven't played this one either, it's just an impression. It looks quite fun, actually!

I was going to pick it up to try, but I'm not paying $35 for an EA AD&D combat simulator. It gives me Temple of Elemental Evil vibes and that game was a bust. Hope I'm wrong though. I bought Low Magic Age instead. Poorer graphics but same gameplay ;)

Never have I read a statement on RPGWatch that is so wrong across the board. Except for maybe picking up an EA game. I have many hours in LAM and Solasta and they are nothing alike. Temple of Elemental Evil is the best tactical D&D game ever made. Solasta isn't AD&D, it's 5e.

Solasta isn't a combat simulator but Low Age Magic is right now. I enjoy both games and have high hopes for LAM but Solasta blows it out of the water right now.

Come on crpgnut, we play the same kind of games and enjoy smaller indie companies like the one making Legendary Journeys. I'm just busting your nuts a bit ;).

Low Age Magic?

iu

@Ripper;, where in the world did you find that picture of me. I thought I deleted all of those ;)

@Hastur - I've only watched vids of Solasta but they seem to focus on AD&D combat, which has all been done 5 million times. I don't need to pay $35 for an AD&D game of any kind because in a year or two I'll end up getting it for $5.

I will download more videos of the game though and see if it resonates higher. Still probably won't pay $35, but I might run more Is there any deal queries :D

P.S. I love Low Magic Age, so comparing Solasta to it is a complement. BTW 5e means 5th edition AD&D. Don't let anyone tell you different. Sometimes adding stuff to a game isn't equal to improving it. I much prefer earlier additions.

5th edition actually takes a bunch of rules away and simplifies the game. I actually tabletop both AD&D and 5e.

@Ripper;, where in the world did you find that picture of me. I thought I deleted all of those ;)

Just a random image search. I liked the picture because it looks like he's doing a spell. Or possibly filling his nappy.

I'm not a fan of prestige classes and all the gobbledygook added in some of the later editions. I think I prefer the streamlined editions that don't take 40 hours of study to build the best character. Not sure about 5e specifically, but I prefer diner coffee (say Farmer's Brothers) to Starbucks and the $15 Latte. 10-15 classes sure! 10-15 main classes with 140 different build paths, yuk!

I think the later editions are easier to learn and understand than the earlier stuff. 2nd Edition was great once you got used to it, but there are things that make litte sense and are more complicated than they need to be. i.e. THACO, dual classing vs multi classing, etc.

Back
Top Bottom