Skyrim - Remaster vs. Vanilla Comparison

Well, that's where you are wrong. If you mod skyrim you will know one of the issues is memory in the game, they are changing it to 64 bit which allows mod users a lot more options with the game. You may think that isn't a huge thing, but it really is(granted without a new engine it still isn't the best thing they could do….but it is a lot better then the original….and free….so?).

Yes, I can see how the default package might seem underwhelming, but it's potentially very interesting for modders. There will undoubtedly be some pain as it'll break a few things in the short term, but it opens up a lot of new possibilities. DX9 and 32bit were a major pain, and this could be a real improvement.

To clarify, I don't give a shit either way. I'm done with the company after the joke of Fo4 and repeated failed attempts to warm up to the drab gameplay/world of Skyrim. I just find the blind faith of some devotees sad.

This is nothing more than an experiment in cost/benefit analysis to cement Bethesda.net into the console consumer consciousness - and, by extension, the majority of the gaming marketplace. Given the abysmal staying power of FO4 and the sheer clunkiness of Bethesda.net (go take a look), the Zenimax suits are latching on to Skyrim's PC modding community to keep their project alive for a future paid mods platform.

Why are you being so MEAN!

ask-ideas.jpg

Regarding 64bit and mods. Certain classes of PC mods will break entirely and Bethesda is unlikely to release anything that will help.

Namely any havok files will likely need to be in the havok 64-bit packed format like Fallout. However Havok/Microsoft never released the SDK for 64-bit applications freely last I checked. They only did 32-bit. This is/was a big deal in Fallout 4 modding. I was helping out for a while but got side tracked but I think a hacked together modding solution was still quite a bit away.

Having said that, custom creatures and animation are probably not the most popular of the mods so maybe not that big of a deal.

I checked over on the Beth forums. They saying the special edition will be a separate install, like the two versions of D:OS, so your current modded install won't be affected when the SE comes out. So I guess besides a hefty download you can give it a go just to check it out.

-kwm

… It's a sandbox game with strong modding capabilities, a completely different ball game, in my eyes.

there are still plenty of glitches left in The Witcher 3 "that never got fixed" and probably never will, including crashes-to-desktop.
Absolutely yes on the first sentence, absolutely no to the second. Sorry.
Thaurin, don't let the Skyrim-basher pussies get to you :D Haters are gonna hate. It's just jealousy anyway. They know the remaster will outsell Witcher 3 and it'll be the 2nd time Skyrim has slaughtered Europe's CDPR.

P.S. I love these threads. Watching the blood pressure rise when Bethesda conquers the world over and over again. I mean when Fallout 4 was released Bethesda said that they had ported Skyrim to the consoles as a test, so you knew this was coming.
LOL
Is my feeling you didn't play TW3 wrong?
CDpr is not trying to compete with Bethesda no matter how much you try to suggest it. TW3 is direct competitor to Bioware and I dare to say mild competition to Ubi and Square Enix.
On the other hand, since we're at that, Bethesda with their "sandbox" product is IMO competing with Rockstar. I wish Skyrim, any release, outsells Rockstar's overhyped and overrated GTA5. Which, when ported on PC, was also remaster!

The only thing that can be compared between CDpr and other companies that are not capable of making heavy story driven RPGs is postrelease support and listening to fans feedback.
You decided obviously to ignore that and watch only sales numbers, but if we'll go there Candy Crush Saga have eaten everyone for breakfast but I'm not seeing you drooling over that phonegame.

Regarding 64bit and mods. Certain classes of PC mods will break entirely and Bethesda is unlikely to release anything that will help.

Namely any havok files will likely need to be in the havok 64-bit packed format like Fallout. However Havok/Microsoft never released the SDK for 64-bit applications freely last I checked. They only did 32-bit. This is/was a big deal in Fallout 4 modding. I was helping out for a while but got side tracked but I think a hacked together modding solution was still quite a bit away.

Having said that, custom creatures and animation are probably not the most popular of the mods so maybe not that big of a deal.

Yes, 64bit tools are still surprisingly lacking in a number of areas. Still, I'd rather deal with the issue of more modern things being as yet poorly supported, than deal with all the drawbacks of the old tech. Probably the biggest thing in Skyrim modding is the addition of new high quality textures and effects. The combination of DX9's memory handling and the 32bit limit was a major pain.

…absolutely no to the second. Sorry.

Lol, that's why I got stuck in a dialogue in Kaer Mohren with Kiera just now on patch 1.22, because there are no bugs left in The Witcher 3. Gotcha. :) There's always gonna be bugs. It's not a huge deal. Gotta admit, I haven't experienced any crashes anymore.

Last edited:
A lot of the original comparisons look better than the remaster in this video.

Back
Top Bottom