D:OS2 The most important question - difficulty

Divinity: Original Sin 2
I didn't have it set to cloud savea but I rarely usw default locations or my OS drive.
Will buy another drive when I'm back from work trip and see what I've lost.
Shift happens :)

For the record, the saves are indeed located on the OS drive by default:
C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2\PlayerProfiles\xxx\Savegames

At least on Win7; don't see it being any different in latter Windows versions.

Well the saves are located in your 'My documents' folder, which by default is in your boot drive, but in my case I changed the 'My documents' location to my HDD long ago so my saves are located there without me changing anything in game. But if you haven't changed your 'My documents' location then yes, it'll go to the boot drive.

Interesting thread. I've read some comments that parts of the game are so hard you kind of have to cheese your way through them. Sounds like bad encounter design. But games like these have so many variables.

"Cheese" is relative :)

'Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting'. Winning is therefore only relevant if battle was inevitable.

I don't consider clearing the battlefield prior or segregating enemies or party members cheese. All part of the battle. Granted i do wish theft mechanics related to objects being stacked around a mob. Like the ai says "wtf man stop trying to trap me in a barrel box"

I do love the fact that other than pre battle setupbthe AI can cheese you too.
Although never had one chicken tendon rupture me.

Interesting thread. I've read some comments that parts of the game are so hard you kind of have to cheese your way through them. Sounds like bad encounter design. But games like these have so many variables.

In tactician (hard) you very probably have to cheese one way or another. In Normal difficulty I haven't had to cheese anything (and doubt I'll have to cheese anything later).

Cheesing a battle does feel cheap, but sometimes it is fun to beat a huge mob with 1 charcater.

In tactician (hard) you very probably have to cheese one way or another. In Normal difficulty I haven't had to cheese anything (and doubt I'll have to cheese anything later).
Promise you won't?
Can't wait till you meet The Doctor on the 4th island. :evilgrin:

Hint: surprise attack is the best defense (no, I don't have rogue in my party)

Cheesing happened for me in tactician mode only for the 'optional' battles like Alice. But, I have also heard than those fights were hard in normal or easy mode too..
Until now fights related to the main quests could be won. Not easily, not without tears, but you can manage somehow

I completed the game in tactician mode with a one source point limit today.

Promise you won't?

Actually beat him legitimately, but only because I got flattened the first time and came back at around level 21 or so. By far the hardest fight in the game.

So far the fight I had to cheese was against the voidwalker ambush in chapter 1. Had no recent save and it was a bit higher level when ambush caught me off guard. The witch fight was also fairly difficult but Alex wasnt very hard.they tone it down. I still need to do sweet Alice but waiting on more level before going back.

Cheesing happened for me in tactician mode only for the 'optional' battles like Alice. But, I have also heard than those fights were hard in normal or easy mode too..
Until now fights related to the main quests could be won. Not easily, not without tears, but you can manage somehow

Actually beat him legitimately, but only because I got flattened the first time and came back at around level 21 or so. By far the hardest fight in the game.
I was level 20 and couldn't beat him legitimately by letting him through the whole dialogue where in the end he gets the first move with instamorph + summon 4 demons. He has devastating cca 90% critchance and those 4 demons are minibosses of their own.

What I had to do was sneak behind him with my 2H melee (actually used pot of invisibility)…
buffed with clear mind and equipped anathema ofc then hit him with my archer so the fight initiated gives my 2H the first move having the highest wisdon (initiative). That way I could KO-lock him where he couldn't use morph nor summon.

Note that once The Doctor got killed, to dispose of other hostiles I replaced Anathema with another 2H weapon I use regularily so I don't misclick basic attack that'd break Anathema.

If this didn't work dunno what I'd do. Respec someone into rogue? Everyone into watermage to spam magic armor? Yes I've tried to toss a fogcrate on him but he's immune (unlike three minibosses in the sewer that instadied in such fog ;)).

Or I could have just accepted his proposal although that probably means I'm gonna get screwed in the end.

Last edited:
Promise you won't?

I'm still in island 2 so don't know. I'm going slow in island 2 because of your report of the following islands not being as polished, so I'm giving time for the next update before I continue, only playing like 2-3 hours/day.

Take your time, the second island is huge and besides the next major patch is announced for the next week.

Besides, you have plenty of "cheating" bosses on the second island like already known Alice with her unique "curse", impossible to teleport/KO trolls, "master of evasion" magister by gallows who summons sidekicks that outlevel you if you rush on main story, etc.

But at one point you'll fight against a trashmob who'll cheat by resurrecting corpses to his aid. Well now, since there is about a dozen of corpses nearby he can use, before you get too close, what you'll do? Yup, a nice preparation makes that fight (almost) trivial. ;)
I wonder however if anyone dared to charge against that whole bunch.

Last edited:
If this didn't work dunno what I'd do. Respec someone into rogue? Everyone into watermage to spam magic armor? Yes I've tried to toss a fogcrate on him but he's immune (unlike three minibosses in the sewer that instadied in such fog ;)).

Or I could have just accepted his proposal although that probably means I'm gonna get screwed in the end.
What I did was..
Spawned those geo-based plants that cost 1x Source. With Summoning 10,
they can take out one of his allies in a single turn. Just pop up a few of those and it'll become drastically easier.

Nice!

But that'd force me to respec so… :(
I'm gonna keep the party setup as it now is.

My plan is to go Necro/Poly combo in the replay, perhaps I squeeze that "school" of yours in too. ;)

One annoying thing about going one source point, (Act 4 spoilers):

Because you have to reject all the source in Act 2, it ends up with Malady dying at the start of Act 4. Which means you cannot enter the hall of echoes and thus you cannot see Tarquin again and complete anathema

Eh? I'm not really sure what are you talking about. None of that happened in my game.

However, while the thing you're talking about is "start crying if you missed it", there is a decent replacement.

EDIT:
Hey, this ain't tips/tricks thread!!!
I'm moving the important part of the post there:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061474590#post1061474590

Back
Top Bottom