Tortured Hearts - Release Date: March 1st

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
After several years of development Tortured Hearts will be released on March 1st:

Tortured Hearts - Or How I Saved The Universe. Again.

Tortured Hearts - Or How I Saved The Universe. Again. was created by 1 person with the occasional help of a few others, in 12.5 years. It's a quasi sequel of 2 NWN-1 mods by the title of Tortured Hearts I & II.
This is an old fashioned, hard-core CRPG featuring turn-based combat and an estimated 200 hours play time, minimum. TH is supposed to be speed-run proof. The story of the game is about a Seasoned Adventurer who merely was out for a little loot and glory, but finds him/herself getting to the bottom of who actually runs the universe.
The story is conversation driven and spans 185 areas in a multiverse, with a potential 8 major henchmen plus a few lesser ones available. Hundreds of NPCs and many meaningful conversations await you. Your behavior and answers in conversation will result in lasting consequences through the game, influencing the henchmen available to you and your relationships with them, the quests available, and the outcomes of quests and the final outcome.
There is a very versatile, non-class based character development system. By using different character builds and choosing different actions, there is great re-playability.
Thanks SubBassman!

More information.

I'm waiting for this game a long time - I'm really happy for @SubBassman; that he could finish it.

He's making an adventure as well: She turned me into a newt!

… and the PC game Newcomer Gold is still in development, too. (Based on the old C64 game).

Last edited:
I have waited 8 years. I can wait two months more, no prob.

I didnt know about it, but i'll buy it at release to support the guy.

Yup, while I'm not the biggest fan of NWN, I can see myself buying this simply to both revisit the realm and to thank the hard work that went into this production.

Yup, while I'm not the biggest fan of NWN, I can see myself buying this simply to both revisit the realm and to thank the hard work that went into this production.

TH has nothing to do with the NWN realm, I'm using my own called Eupherea. The game uses a couple of NPCs of the two mods though.

As for the hard work... yes, it was brutally difficult.

wish-listed :)

I quickly looked at the screenshot and video. Still, I'm not sure how the turn-based combats play. I

Still, I'm not sure how the turn-based combats play. I
Between each round, there is a directive panel popping up, on which you can set three directives: anger, power, aid, for each member. There are presets too.
Each of these buttons has 3 states. 1 means weakest, 3 means strongest. You can cycle these values by clicking.
Anger determines how aggressively the particular character attacks. This affects the possible combat actions the AI will use. Lower means more buffing, less offense, higher means more offense, less buffing.
Power determines the usage of mana (wizard, healer), creativity (bard) and psi (psionic).
Aid means how helpful the character is. Low aid will put him into less helpful state, higher aid enables more frequent healing, buffing and resurrection.
Combat can be automated. In this case, the directive panel won't pop up and rounds follow continuously.
It is advisable to read the help section because there are many small, but helpful features. For instance, you can get the target's race by pressing R while the camera is targeting him.
Initiative is not just random, it's calculated based on stats.
Warriors can use the following setups: two handed, one handed + shield, dual wield, bows, throwing weapons (rock, rotten apple, bad egg, dagger, axe, shuriken, bomb etc) and bare handed using iron fists (knuckle duster)
There are more than 120 combat actions. Some interesting ones: Take Risk, Shield Bash, Shield Blocking, Coup de Grace, Dust in the Eye, Disarm, Raise Dead, Incite, Annoy, Encourage, Feint, Mental Battle (psi), Stasis (bard), Lacerate (rogue) Fire Breath (creatures)
There is a so-called Tactical Trait which is a team-based action either buffing your team or debuffing the enemey. One character can have only one of these and the default gap between these actions is 6 rounds. Equipment and buffs can modify this.
Combat heavily relies on buffs. The camera always orbits the current combatant avoiding obstacles.

Between each round, there is a directive panel popping up, on which you can set three directives: anger, power, aid, for each member. There are presets too.
Each of these buttons has 3 states. 1 means weakest, 3 means strongest. You can cycle these values by clicking.
Anger determines how aggressively the particular character attacks. This affects the possible combat actions the AI will use. Lower means more buffing, less offense, higher means more offense, less buffing.
Power determines the usage of mana (wizard, healer), creativity (bard) and psi (psionic).
Aid means how helpful the character is. Low aid will put him into less helpful state, higher aid enables more frequent healing, buffing and resurrection.
Combat can be automated. In this case, the directive panel won't pop up and rounds follow continuously.
It is advisable to read the help section because there are many small, but helpful features. For instance, you can get the target's race by pressing R while the camera is targeting him.
Initiative is not just random, it's calculated based on stats.
Warriors can use the following setups: two handed, one handed + shield, dual wield, bows, throwing weapons (rock, rotten apple, bad egg, dagger, axe, shuriken, bomb etc) and bare handed using iron fists (knuckle duster)
There are more than 120 combat actions. Some interesting ones: Take Risk, Shield Bash, Shield Blocking, Coup de Grace, Dust in the Eye, Disarm, Raise Dead, Incite, Annoy, Encourage, Feint, Mental Battle (psi), Stasis (bard), Lacerate (rogue) Fire Breath (creatures)
There is a so-called Tactical Trait which is a team-based action either buffing your team or debuffing the enemey. One character can have only one of these and the default gap between these actions is 6 rounds. Equipment and buffs can modify this.
Combat heavily relies on buffs. The camera always orbits the current combatant avoiding obstacles.

hey subbassman! talked to u on the nwn vault. this sounds incredible, i can't wait! i actually beat th1 on nwn with some help from a friend and about 100 hours of gameplay. had a blast. :)

So you explore in first-person, but it switches to an isometric view for combat?

Looks pretty neat. I just wishlisted it on Steam.

So you explore in first-person, but it switches to an isometric view for combat?

Looks pretty neat. I just wishlisted it on Steam.

Actually it's semi first person, so to say. You are controlling the camera as if it was an FPS, and the characters are following the camera on a "leash". When combat starts, it becomes top-down and the camera slowly orbits the actual combatant.

Actually it's semi first person, so to say. You are controlling the camera as if it was an FPS, and the characters are following the camera on a "leash". When combat starts, it becomes top-down and the camera slowly orbits the actual combatant.

How many characters can we have in the party? Simultaneously I mean.

wow this sounds so good. i may play it on day 1, which is super rare for me.

wow this sounds so good. i may play it on day 1, which is super rare for me.

Demo will be out in a few days. (25. Jan)

It will feature 1/3 of the entire game without any restriction. An NPC will notify you that you have reached the end of the Demo.

Saved games will become incompatible in the release version though. The demo simply doesn't have all the areas. :)

Back
Top Bottom