Baldur's Gate 3 - Pre-Patch Announcement

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A pre-patch announcement for Baldur's Gate 3's next patch talks about the next panel from Hell. Also it explains how to keep your playthrough for Patch 4 if thats your thing.

Hello everyone! How are you doing?

It's been a few months since we last spoke. Our lockdown hair is a little longer, our quarantine gut is a little rounder, and with every cubic inch that Adam Smith's beard grows in volume we get ever closer to releasing our next patch. After calculating its weight and circumference, we can safely say that day is right around the corner.

Patch 5 is heading to you next week, and we've got an epic Panel From Hell planned to showcase all the updates coming your way. Make sure you join us July 8th at 11am PT on Twitch where our team of Baldurian devs and magic wielders will introduce all the new the contents of Patch 5, then vote on what happens next as they scour a wizard's tower in search of an ancient artifact in:Panel From Hell 3 - Twitch Plays: A Most Noble Sacrifice.

Of course, with Patch 5 imminent, we want to remind you that any saves made Patch 4 or prior will no longer be compatible when updated.

So we're once again branching out with the same solution as before. There are options for you if you want to continue your Patch 3 or Patch 4 saves, or if you instead want to make sure you've got the most up-to-date content. Have a gander below and follow the directions for whichever solution suits you best.

[...]
More information.

I just don't see a $60 game when I look at the vids and such.

Depends. It's usually agreed that the price should be proportional to the time spent.

If you buy it now, it's probably worth more than 60 <insert currency name here> because you'll spend so much time waiting for the release, watching panels from hell, reporting bugs and so on... :lol:

That's why they haven't reduced the price during EA.

How do you decide what a game is worth?

For me the main factors are
- expected fun
- expected length
- support for devs
- mood for that type of game

My expectations with this game are that I will have a lot of fun, it may be too long for me to finish, they are one of the only AAA turn based rpgs makers and Belgian so want to support. Not in the mood for it now but I did when I got it and played through for about 15 hours and have had quite a bit of fun already.

Don't mind crpgnut. He hasn't liked a party-based game since the M&M VI-VIII days. ;)

My expectations with this game are that I will have a lot of fun, it may be too long for me to finish

Larian's games do tend to drag on a bit. I usually feel like they're about 20% longer than they need to be.

Far too many announcement far too little progress. Pre-patch announcements you gotta be kidding , who needs that ? The game was supposed to be out by summer and now its delayed to next year at least.

Making games takes time. I'm starting to get tired of people complaining all the time about how long it's taking for games to release. God, just play one of the other 412124123 games around until it's launched.

Larian's games do tend to drag on a bit. I usually feel like they're about 20% longer than they need to be.

I dont. It's the other games that are 50% shorter (Obsidian, you hear me?)

Never heard it was due this summer.

Anyway, they give a heads-up about the patch for people to select the branch appropriately, as said so many times before, but here they mainly announce the time of the streaming. Reading only the title usually isn't enough :p

Making games takes time. I'm starting to get tired of people complaining all the time about how long it's taking for games to release. God, just play one of the other 412124123 games around until it's launched.
I will never stop it's called the Early Access effect. Basically they announce a game to early and PR the hell out of it for more years that you will get tired of waiting & reading.

Let it be said for the millionth time I hate Early Access, no I loathe it.;)
Never heard it was due this summer.
The plan was one year of Early Access but it's looking like it will need more.

So 2022 but that's not set in stone. It may move to 2023. Seems the game is becoming more complicated and larger then Swen predicted when he announced it in 2019.

Last edited:
The plan was one year of Early Access but it's looking like it will need more.
They released the EA in October 2020 and they said this EA could last one year, perhaps longer, but AFAIK they'd never committed to any release date or estimation.

Anyway, we know those things take longer more often than not. The pandemic certainly doesn't help. It's good that they don't rush to release it if they don't feel ready, I just hope they stick to some plan and don't change it all the time ;)

They released the EA in October 2020 and they said this EA could last one year, perhaps longer, but AFAIK they'd never committed to any release date or estimation.

Anyway, we know those things take longer more often than not. The pandemic certainly doesn't help. It's good that they don't rush to release it if they don't feel ready, I just hope they stick to some plan and don't change it all the time ;)
EA was announced in October 2020 but the game wasn't. Swen was doing interviews and previews back in 2019. They are opening and buying more studios as well.

If you remember from my earlier comments Larian is not a small indie developer anymore like in the past. They have hundreds of employees spread across multiple studios now.

I firmly believe large developers should not be able to use EA or crowdfunding.

Far too many announcement far too little progress. Pre-patch announcements you gotta be kidding , who needs that ? The game was supposed to be out by summer and now its delayed to next year at least.

It was not supposed to be out by summer. It was not supposed to be out at any particular time. They did not announce a release date. They've barely announced a release window even now.

Do you suppose you're seeing all the progress? I assure you, you're not. Better to just ignore the game completely until the 1.0 release if this pre-release stuff is aggravating.

I would rather they spend the time to make the game good then release it because of a bunch of whining users who are impatient and then when they release it before its done will complain endlessly about why they didn't spend more time polishing it :p

There are other things to do in life. Gheesh. Ignore it till its released and then play it. Why people obsess over deadlines is beyond me. Its done when its done. If you like early access play early access. If you don't like early access then ignore it and don't touch the game till its officially released.

Still only one act to play with, little changes worth of note, yes druids, with a bit of luck we may have half the classes of the basic manual in this hundred million budget game.
And yes it was supposed to release one year into "early access", so quite soon. The price tag being one of a finished game by the way. It's certainly not going to happen.

Meanwhile solasta was delivered exactly at the date scheduled, no delay . Oh wait no, in fact backers got a pre launch version it 2 weeks earlier and it exceeded my expectations.Thats a lot more professional, than all that PR and announcements.

Meanwhile people on the internet compare two different things and treat them the same. Yawn. Life goes on.

@Mortmal don't take it personally this site is full of pardon the term Larian fanboys.:biggrin:

Know what I predict a game with a decent Act one that falls flat in the middle.

Just like Original Sin 1&2.:p

@Mortmal don't take it personally this site is full of pardon the term Larian fanboys.:biggrin:

Know what I predict a game with a decent Act one that falls flat in the middle.

Just like Original Sin 1&2.:p

It's quite possible a polished act 1 , and for sure this one will be thoroughly tested. Cause there's nothing else to play , reviewers wont go past that, and the fanboys will be happy no matter what ,accepting everything , as clunky and broken it could be. If ever sven personally talk to them they will be in heaven.
And dont you dare compare another 5E turn based crpg with their beloved cult title, totally impossible to compare!

Don't mind crpgnut. He hasn't liked a party-based game since the M&M VI-VIII days. ;)

Larian's games do tend to drag on a bit. I usually feel like they're about 60% nut edit longer than they need to be.

I like Solasta pretty well, though I thought the verticality was just plain ass goofy. I also loved Legendary Journeys, though admittedly it is very like MM6-8. However, your point mostly stands.

I generally don't enjoy party-based where the devs create your companions. I generally don't like "woke" type companions and generally get some juvenile enjoyment killing them over and over. I did like Lohse though, but Larian's games suck ass after act 1 in each. Last good Larian game was Ego Draconis but even it failed after becoming a dragon. Great game through Broken Valley, good game through the Tower stuff, and boring as hell after that. I loved Divine Divinity start to finish; basically before Sven became the Todd Howard of Larian.

Just my opinion. I'm a single-player single-character type for sure. I don't even like games like Witcher or HZD since I don't pick my role. The game picks it and I hated Witcher 2/3's Geralt and Alloy. They're just not the type of personality that jives with an absolute nut ;) I liked Geralt in Witcher 1.

How do you decide what a game is worth?

For me the main factors are
- expected fun
- expected length
- support for devs
- mood for that type of game

My expectations with this game are that I will have a lot of fun, it may be too long for me to finish, they are one of the only AAA turn based rpgs makers and Belgian so want to support. Not in the mood for it now but I did when I got it and played through for about 15 hours and have had quite a bit of fun already.

For me the factors are:
- did I like recent previous games by same dev, if applicable--no in the case of Sven
- expected length is good, I agree
- I don't worry about supporting big studios at all
- mood is great too
- I'm American so could care less about European devs, not a plus or minus. I really like Encased and it's Russian, I think…

P.S. I have no idea if there are game developers from Missouri ;)

Back
Top Bottom