What games are you playing now?

Since I started playing Black Mesa, I had the thought of trying to go all the way. I already have an Oculus Quest for working out, so I decided to have at it to see if it's possible to play Half-Life: Alyx on it. And after a short bit of investigating, it seems it's actually quite easy to do. And it seems there's even a way to do it wirelessly. You just have a client on both the headset and the pc that will run Alyx, and you stream video/audio/input between the two. Currently downloading Alyx. I'm curious how performant it will be. I'll check back after I see how it runs.

EDIT: Ok, it works pretty much flawlessly. And it looks amazing. Atmospheric as hell. I love all the interacting you can do. I can't say I'm excited to see those head crabs jump at my face. :/

Last edited:
Geneforge Mutagen - The Animal Farm

Jesus, I had no heart to slay anybody in the first servile village. They are so candid and benevolent that hurting them would have been horribly evil. However, they tell me there is a full village of evil Mofos further away, so I'll visit that!

High Leadership:
Big surprise, I could calm all the rogue creations in the first abandoned area. Now they roam there happily like wild animals. Yaay! I created a ZOO!! :D

Played a little more of HL: Alyx, and it continues to impress. But I'm only able to play in short bursts. Today I managed to stay 1h with the headset on. And I reached the gravity gloves and the pistol. It's just a lot of fun to pull things from afar, and grab them in the air. And then toss them in the air and shoot them. It sounds so basic, but it's a different sensation doing it yourself.

I also had a weird happening. I wanted to loot a dead zombie, so I squat down to it, which gives new appreciation for how looting a real corpose would feel in real life, and just as I was about to touch the corpse, I accidentally touched my desks leg and jumped back in fright. It was hilarious. (rofl)

After taking some time to knock out Banner Saga the third, I've gone back to Fae Tactics, and liking it a lot. Tough battles, a decent story, it might be a little weak on exploration but that's really the only complaint.

Ok, this was a short run through Alyx. I reached some abandoned tunnel infested with barnacles. It was already creepy enough walking through abandoned tunnels, but the sound that barnacles make really put me over the edge. So I wanted to avoid them, and I threw a barrel at them. And in the meantime I jumped inside a train wagon, think it's probably got a hole on the other side, and I can avoid the barnacles. But no. It was almost pitch black inside, and I could only see near the edge of the wagon. Where I saw a dead zombie again. So I'll squat and try to roll it over, and see if it has any ammo on it. And just when I squat down and reach, I again touch my fucking bed covers which were hanging over the edge of the bed. And I got scared and exited the game. Damn is it creepy. So I guess that proves it. If there's a zombie apocalypse, don't count on me for anything. :(

I'm floating between multiple games, not being able to settle:
For the King
Heroes of a Broken Land
Slay the Spire
Cyberpunk 2077 (started a new character to try things differently)
Caves (mobile phone roguelike)

Also playing the odd session of Strange Brigade co-op with a friend. It's a blast. Think Left 4 Dead or Vermintide, but Indian Jones-style, with the occasional puzzle.

After finishing off Fae Tactics, today I began Operencia: The Stolen Sun. The prelude threw me a little at the beginning, but now I'm in a dungeon proper and liking it, so far. It reminds me a little of Grimrock, but with turn based combat once you actually encounter opposition.

I'm playing the new Tortured Hearts. Or How I Saved The Universe. Again. Waiting for an updated version in an hour or two to jump back in. So far, I really like how I've gathered 5 or 6 quests, found some starting loot, and the game is open and encourages exploration. Can't wait to play more. :) :party:

I'm currently playing Star Wars Knight of the Old Republic 2 with some graphic mods and restored content patch.

I'm currently around lvl 20 now and came to the realization that while I had played this game after release I probably never finished it, my memories of the game are probably memories/overlapping locations from KOTOR 1 :)

I tried Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood for a few hours.

It's every bit as generic as it looks. From the visuals, to the dialogue, to the combat, it's mediocre in every way. I played into the third mission before uninstalling it.

Thinking about doing a run through Black Mesa and Half-Life 2 next. Talking about it recently has me wanting to play it again, and I've never seen the remade Xen levels.

I am playing Spellforce 1. This is my absolute Nr. 1 game and I replay it at least once every year (and then often the whole series). Somehow the story involving a time loop, the level design and the overall atmosphere fascinate me in a way no other game does (maybe the Gothics come near to it). The funny thing is that I do not even like RTS normally, but for me it feels like an action RPG with additional troops.

I am playing Spellforce 1. This is my absolute Nr. 1 game and I replay it at least once every year (and then often the whole series). Somehow the story involving a time loop, the level design and the overall atmosphere fascinate me in a way no other game does (maybe the Gothics come near to it). The funny thing is that I do not even like RTS normally, but for me it feels like an action RPG with additional troops.

I never managed to get into Spellforce. I tried the first one right around when it was released, but I think the RTS elements put me off. But I've been meaning to get back to it and give it another shot, especially since I see the series has managed to gain a following since they're already on the 3rd one and also released a standalone expansion. So there must be something there I'm missing.

I got a lot further into Half-Life Alyx. And I've just reached the most frightening point so far. I've just received my wrist-mounted flashlight, and I've had to fight around 3 black headcrabs in the dark, while trying to remember what the steps were to reload my shotgun. There's around 5 steps I believe. So trying to reload it under stress, in pitch-black was one hell of stress for me. At the end of my 60+ minute sesssion I was drenched in sweat.

Navigating the levels in pitch-black, and only being able to see where I aim my arm is terrible. And I complained about Doom 3 doing something similar. That was nothing compared to this. I hope they give me a moment of respite, as I'm not sure I can take very long sessions of needing to walk in the dark.

Thinking about doing a run through Black Mesa and Half-Life 2 next. Talking about it recently has me wanting to play it again, and I've never seen the remade Xen levels.

I'd be curious to hear how the Xen levels turned out. They were a mess in the original, and I never finished it. They wouldn't have to make them all that amazing - just not so poor that they detract from the game.

I got a lot further into Half-Life Alyx. And I've just reached the most frightening point so far. I've just received my wrist-mounted flashlight, and I've had to fight around 3 black headcrabs in the dark, while trying to remember what the steps were to reload my shotgun. There's around 5 steps I believe. So trying to reload it under stress, in pitch-black was one hell of stress for me. At the end of my 60+ minute sesssion I was drenched in sweat.

Lol. I almost posted about the intensity when you first considered playing it. I think I mentioned before that I found it a bit much. I'm not sure how much serious research has been done into the physiological risks of VR immersion, but I could easily imagine things getting serious!

Lol. I almost posted about the intensity when you first considered playing it. I think I mentioned before that I found it a bit much. I'm not sure how much serious research has been done into the physiological risks of VR immersion, but I could easily imagine things getting serious!

Oh it's definitely intense as hell. I can only play it in burst of 1h max. This was my longest session, I believe. It felt like it took forever to get out of the dark. And then I reach the end and notice I apparently still have a ways to go. And I don't have enough ammo. So I had to stop my session. I kind of dred going back into it tomorrow.

It's a serious survival horror game, in the levels it takes my heart rate. It's amazing to move the flashlight around in pitch black, and just look at the environment. It's absolutely unrivaled when it comes to immersion.

The only issues are the controls. I hate that they mapped the weapon switch wheel to the thumbstick and every now and then I teleport myself and lose spatial awareness. Sometimes in the middle of a fire fight.

Also, I'm not sure what's wrong with my aiming, but I constantly deplete pistol clips on those fucking head crabs. So annoying. Oh, man. The moment I saw the black headcrab with the flashlight in the dark my heart sank. I knew what was about to happen.

Last edited:
Makes me wish I had a VR setup to try it. There aren't enough VR games I'm interested in though to justify it for me.

Imagine a VR version of Alien: Isolation. That would probably be a true pants-shitter. :)

Makes me wish I had a VR setup to try it. There aren't enough VR games I'm interested in though to justify it for me.

Yeah, there really aren't. If I didn't already have the Oculus Quest for cardio I probably wouldn't have had the opportunity to try it. But now, having tried Alyx, I probably would've relented and got it. But probably not the 1000$ vive index or anything. I chose the quest because it was only around 400, and if I brick it due to sweat I won't as easily die inside. :D

Imagine a VR version of Alien: Isolation. That would probably be a true pants-shitter. :)

I think I heard Dart say that he played Isolation in VR, and it was indeed as horrorfying as you can imagine.

EDIT: I found the exact sequence I described above, played by somebody else. But he was lucky enough to have pistol clips. I had to manage with the shotgun. It was not pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsIimv2embA

after 2 months of break due to stuff, have alot of time know to play/replay some rpgs

0YzeT0A.jpg

Back
Top Bottom