Might & Magic X - The End of a Chapter

Basically, I supported the game from beta having payed to help develop it. The game worked as such, however, at the eleventh hour,the so called developers crippled the game for all us 32 bit users. I'm not getting into a 32 v 64 bit war in here, this is the only piece of software that I own that doesn't work as intended.

At no point during the development was anything said about the finished product being only fully useable for 64 bit users. They were happy to take our money under false pretences. If we had been aware of this from the offset I would NOT have been a supporter. :-/

Ok, I can understand now why you're pissed off. I also bought it early, but luckily have a new system. If I had a 32 bit system, I'd have been angry too. Still, if you ever do get a new system, I suggest you give the game a shot.

It's not a matter of having a 32-bit "system" - the system requirements for M&M X require a 64-bit system to begin with. (And by that, I mean a CPU that's capable of 64-bit) So it seems we can safely assume that's not what he's talking about.

He must be unwilling to install a 64-bit OS on his 64-bit system.

It's not a matter of having a 32-bit "system" - the system requirements for M&M X require a 64-bit system to begin with. (And by that, I mean a CPU that's capable of 64-bit) So it seems we can safely assume that's not what he's talking about.

He must be unwilling to install a 64-bit OS on his 64-bit system.

Still fair if it was stated earlier that he wouldn't have to.

Last edited:
Agreed, just pointing out it's not an issue of needing new hardware. Just an issue of being willing to install the proper OS.

Don't these kind of problems arise with new versions of Unity? I suspect they didn't know this would happen, rather than they intentionally concealed it.

Agreed, just pointing out it's not an issue of needing new hardware. Just an issue of being willing to install the proper OS.

The issue is being led up the garden patch by the developers. It was never stated as being a 64bit game whilst they were accepting money for it. It was only much much later during development they suddenly said it was.

People banging on about 64 bit is totally irrelevant. I DIDN'T purchase a 64 bit fully functioning piece of software, I and countless others purchased software which RAN perfectly well on 32 bit systems. Yes, there were problems,but not because my system was only 32bit,they were problems for all users.

And as for being willing to install the "PROPER" OS, please,grow up. You know nothing of my circumstances, sweeping statements are so easy sat behind your computer. Do you still not understand why i'm so pissed off with them? >:O

And as for being willing to install the "PROPER" OS, please,grow up.
Hah, well isn't it quite clear by now that a 64-bit OS is the "proper" OS for MMX? I mean, that's the whole problem you're whining about, right? I stand by my choice of words.

You know nothing of my circumstances, sweeping statements are so easy sat behind your computer.
Your circumstances are irrelevant when it comes to what the "proper" OS for MMX is.

Hah, well isn't it quite clear by now that a 64-bit OS is the "proper" OS for MMX? I mean, that's the whole problem you're whining about, right? I stand by my choice of words.

Your circumstances are irrelevant when it comes to what the "proper" OS for MMX is.

Is English your first language? If it isn't I can understand you not grasping what i'm talking about. If it is, then you've no excuse for misunderstanding, you're just stupid.

It's 64 bit NOW for MMX. When I purchased it, it WASN'T...
Get it? Please for the love of god say you do, I need to go soon and eat. :rolleyes:

Of course I get it - did you miss when I said "Agreed" earlier? The point of my comments has apparently flown right over your head. I was explaining to someone else how it wouldn't be a hardware issue on your end, but rather a software issue. Then you decided to nitpick on my usage of the word "proper", because apparently you are blinded by fanatical rage when it comes to anything you might vaguely interpret as someone not 100% agreeing with you that MMX is the spawn of Satan. Are you off your medicine?

I'm blinded by something, your stupidity. My whole fanatical rage is with the shady business practices of said company, your insistance on the whole 64 -32 bit OS falls by the roadside.

Your dismissive,"Just an issue of being willing to install the proper OS.", isn't what this is about. It's about being sold something as one thing, accepting my cash for that product as is, then simply saying "we've decided to change the operating specs at virtually the last minute." If i'd known from the start it would need 64 bit to play fully, do you really think i'd have parted with my money?…

Oh, I loved playing MMX (pre-release), I have the majority of earlier titles from this franchise. Now, please let it go, i'm embarrassed for you. ;)

Shady business practices? Haha. I love the exaggeration.

The parts you lose by not installing a 64-bit OS aren't crucial to the game in any way. You're just throwing a fit that you can't have your cake (keep your 32-bit OS) and eat it too (get all the features of MMX, even though the devs apparently couldn't make them all fit into 2GB of process address space).

Uhm, Windows XP had a x64 version. Imagine someone whining that every new RPG is the spawn of Satan because they don't run on a Voodoo graphics card. If you don't keep up with the times, you have yourself to blame (besides, what gamer has less than 4 gigs of ram in 2014?!)

Sadly it does seem that 64bit is assumed these days. They probably should have made it clearer or better yet have it as a configuration option for the options they think won't work in 32bit (which could be defaulted to off)? Not sure why they didn't do this as for some the game worked fine with all the features in 32bit.

Sadly?? More like "finally."

Please elaborate what benefit you get for a developer supporting only 64bit properly when the game actually works fully on both 32bit and 64bit for most people?

I have a 64bit OS (win7 ult with 64gig ram) but I still can't see how that is a "good" thing for a consumer?

Well, in the general case (not necessarily talking specifically about MMX), devs not supporting 32-bit would be a good thing because it wastes development time to try to pack a game into 2GB of RAM that could be better spent in other areas.

Well, in the general case (not necessarily talking specifically about MMX), devs not supporting 32-bit would be a good thing because it wastes development time to try to pack a game into 2GB of RAM that could be better spent in other areas.

That is an indirect benefit and in this particular case may not apply as the game actually functioned fully in 32bit prior to release. What is a direct tangible benefit to the gamer of it not being fully enabled in 32bit? I do not dispute there is obvious benefit to the developer.

That is an indirect benefit and in this particular case may not apply as the game actually functioned fully in 32bit prior to release. What is a direct tangible benefit to the gamer of it not being fully enabled in 32bit? I do not dispute there is obvious benefit to the developer.

you say it functioned fully in 32bit, but maybe it didn't, you just didn't experience the problems it had.

I also would rather have devs just say 'required 64 bit', because they have to test everything in two different versions of the same version of the OS (plus test in different versions of the OS), so not only do they have to test that everything works in Windows 7 and Windows 8, but they also have to test Windows 7 32 bit, Windows 7 64 bit, etc. Many problems are hard to reproduce as it is, without getting into the 32/64 bit part.

RAM is the cheapest, most cost-effective way to update your computer, but if you have a 32 bit OS you're stuck at 4GB (less even). That alone should be reason enough for everybody to upgrade their OS. And add to that that some games don't work on 32 bit and it's just a no brainer decision really.

RAM is the cheapest, most cost-effective way to update your computer, but if you have a 32 bit OS you're stuck at 4GB (less even).
For the purposes of gaming, it's even worse - a single process (program) is limited to 2GB of RAM on a 32-bit OS. Even consoles now offer games 5GB+ of RAM, and you can be sure developers will be using it. Won't be long before multiplatform (PS4/Xbox One/PC) games don't even support 32-bit OSes anymore. And with engines like Unity gaining steam for the PC, with more emphasis on rapid and easy development than efficiency/optimization…32-bit OSes are basically on their deathbed for gaming.

The point I am trying to make is that it did work for some people so why not have it as a configuration option to turn on the missing options when playing on a 32bit OS (defaulted to no so people who have problems will not be impacted). I am not sure what you guys could possibly have against this?

No shit it is the future, but that is not relevant at all to the discussion at hand.

Back
Top Bottom