Neverwinter Nights: EE - Plans and more

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Beamdog talked about their plans for the Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition:

Beamdog Dec. 1 Livestream - NWN:EE plans and more!

Beamdog CEO Trent Oster and Studio Director Phil Daigle talk about what's in the upcoming Head Start update for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition and answer questions from the chat while playing Neverwinter Nights: Infinite Dungeons.
More information.

Why can't we? This was a test to see if we could post in the news thread.

No clue. Are you a moderator? I received an error that I was not authorized to post a comment. I can now that you have.

Btw anyone have a summary of the review ?

Yes, this please

I might buy it if it has the content equivalent of an expansion (tilesets, character classes, legendary levels, decent sized campaign), but not if its the equivalent of a patch.

EDIT: found it here

http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/12/december-1-livestream-recap.html

Here's a quick summary of the highlights from today’s livestream:

The ultimate plan is to do weekly patches for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Head Start.
The new patch is already live, featuring a maximum texture memory increase, an option to hide helmets & equipment, the improvement of water shaders, as well as bug fixes
The open beta for the 2.5 patch for Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition, Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition will start next week and will be available at Beamdog, Steam and GooglePlay
The patch 2.5 open beta will run over the holidays, with the final release arriving in 2018 across all stores and platforms
Instructions on how to join the beta will be released next week
If you purchase NWN:EE and then decide to get the Digital Deluxe, it’s possible to upgrade - just send a message to our support (support@beamdog.com)
The Spanish version of NWN will be updated for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition (no promises for this to happen at the game’s release though, but eventually it will happen) ADDITION: The team is also doing the same for French, German, Italian, and Polish.
Down the road, we will be adding new resources and content to Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition, possibly in the form of new modules
Resizing characters (scaling) is something to look forward to in the weeks to come
UI in Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition is something we’d like to work on, but no exact timelines can be given
A spell bar like in NWN 2 – this comes down to the work on the UI in NWN:EE
Tweaking balance in Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition: only if something is very unbalanced, then it’s a bug and should be fixed
Quickloot bar in Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition: it’s something we’ll checking out how to do and we’d like to hear the community’s feedback on it
Extending classes in Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition: we wish to enable to extend classes to some degree, but this is a long-term thing
We plan to join some existing PW servers during future livestreams, so you’ll be able to play with Phillip Daigle as he constantly dies!

Excited for what’s next? Join us on Twitch next Friday at 10am PST!

No clue. Are you a moderator? I received an error that I was not authorized to post a comment. I can now that you have.

Weird. Nope, I'm a nut, not a moderator.

So basically most everything you'd want in an enchanced edition (except resolution changes, improved textures, and being able to play on your mobile phone) are maybes, likely future plans, or undecided.
BTW due to Purple Blob's Aielund Saga review, and the inability of my current computer to play many new games, I picked up the Diamond Edition of the old NWN on sale. Its a very good mod (better than most of the rather poor SP campaigns from Bioware) and the unmastered NWN still plays quite well on a modern computer.

Plan #1: Take more loot from fools
Plan #2: See plan #1
Plan #3: See plan #2

I'm confused, how do they justify selling it before actually making the changes people would want?

Is it a crowdfunded project or something?

Still quite underwhelming.

Only positive thing I see is that by this PR some younger gamers might be introduced to the older titles and its mechanics.

I'm confused, how do they justify selling it before actually making the changes people would want?

Is it a crowdfunded project or something?

If it was on Kickstarter I would have bought in straight away and expected the usual major changes along the way that some projects get ... but even this level is weird.

I was hoping to get more information, to get more excited ... but instead I am just more confused. The only thing maintaining my interest? “It lets you play NWN on Mac again”

Not sure why I'm bothering to post this here, but for anyone interested here are some quick impressions from the the Head Start version.

The game looks significantly better, IMO. I played it @4K on a 55" 4K TV with the UI scaled and the text and overall graphics are crisp and improved. I compared it to my videos I recorded in March of the module Swordflight and the difference is quite significant. The current graphics options in the beta, Vibrance and High Contrast, improve the colors a lot and make them pop in a good way. If you turn them off you can see another significant change as the base game is more neutral colored.

Loaded up the save from Swordflight and it all worked great, even my original NWN Steam Controller profile (which I'm updating now heavily, lots of cool new tricks to add to it.) Everything otherwise so far is the same.

According to Lee (shout out to Lee!), the fellow at Beamdog I chat with, they think the mod community is really going to be revitalized. They created an Advisory Board of modders from the original game and are working with them directly to improve the game. They're implementing the Community Patch and other requests from the community and are working with the Advisory Board to add more things as time goes on. They've also rewritten the multiplayer so you can play multiplayer again and search for servers. They'll be hosting the community forum on their site for modding, etc..

If you have any questions feel free to message me on Steam. Ciao!

If it was on Kickstarter I would have bought in straight away and expected the usual major changes along the way that some projects get … but even this level is weird.

I was hoping to get more information, to get more excited … but instead I am just more confused. The only thing maintaining my interest? “It lets you play NWN on Mac again”

Well, I guess anything with nostalgia vibes will sell these days :)

If they actually manage to make it worth my while, I'll get this eventually. I wouldn't trust them to pull anything really significant off, but I wouldn't mind less hassle if it's heavily discounted one day.

If it actually results in improvements, ongoing support, and a boost to the modders, I've no problem with it. I do think they shot themselves in the foot with charging extra for the ancient dlc, which plays into the hands of those who feel it's a cynical cash in.

Back
Top Bottom