Youtube is pulling the plug for small creators

Well, Fluent has well over 1.6k subs and will probably not have a problem (no idea if he gets past the hours watched criteria) Also can't imagine that a shoutout for a german Channel there has that much use either.

I think the scenario you are mentioning is working more for people who immediately get 10000 views or so with each video. If one of my videos gets 100 views after a couple of days I am happy. ^^
I could "mobilize" like 3-5 viewers at most (and fluent doesn't even need them).

Kordanor,

Do you put English subtitles on your videos? If you don't, are you planning to do that? You have some really good videos covering games which I play / I could possibly play. I'm asking because I know sh_t of German tongue and since I don't mind reading English subtitles (I even watched Netflix's Dark series in original language - of course with Portuguese subtitles), if you do so I can happily subscribe your Youtube channels.

I am afraid, that this isn't possible/worth the effort.
Not for the LP because that would be the majority of the work. The reviews however aren't watched enough to make remotely sense. As my reviews are usually quite long and in depth it would probably take another 5-10 hours per video to translate it.
Now I could try and get some google translations in there, but I am not sure how often subtitles are even used in youtube.
You gave this great example of Dark (which imho was surprisingly good btw). I have read an article about that english news outlets were basically teaching the US folk on what subtitles are and how to use them, so that they could watch dark in the original language. So...meh... ^^

You need to make more videos about the Kardashians. Problem solved.

Yeah…guess so…
But I am afraid my knowledge about them is very limited. :p

Btw: Just received Youtube's "Screw you!" email this morning for my review channel. Was a little bit on the late side...

I have subscribed + subscribed with my sons account. Don't speak German but best of luck to you

Also, creating English subtitles… would probably be just as time-consuming as re-recording all your videos with English dialogue.

Thanks alot @Warlod;! :)
@Dilvish; Yeah. I mean I already have a transcript of the whole text as I use it to create the Review-video in the first place. But even adding this into youtube alone for a let's say 30 minute video is a pain as you have to basically sync every 1/2 or 1/3 sentence with the words spoken.

@Kordanor;

I kept an eye on my analytics after posting my three vids and this is what my YouTube account is saying was the end result of me posting those vids:

My first linked vid: 4 views with a total of 2 minutes watched.
Second link: 2 views with a total of 30 seconds watched.
Third link: 4 views with a total of 1 minute watched.

My grand total watched time for the 18th Jan was 21 minutes though, which will have mostly been Eye 'skipping' through some videos, though I suspect looking for stuff to 'journalism' about rather than as a form of entertainment.

Now, I get that many people wouldn't have taken a second glance at the linked vids, however, I feel fairly confident at least one person will have watched all of at least one of them, that each one would have had a full viewing by at least someone.

This merely confirms what I've always suspected, that YouTube doesn't count most embedded link views as views. So by linking my three vids, I get no views from that, then, if someone did then go to my channel, they wont be rewatching the ones they've already seen.

So, be warned, don't get too hopeful about spamming links to vids to get extra watchtime, only actual YouTube hits are counted. The only way to YouTube is to Social Media it, Fluent style. As I was saying to someone the other day, most of the big Youtubers would be just as comfortable selling whatnots on a shopping channel, they are just fast-talking salesmen/women. And that's the Youtubers google wants. People who could sell ice to eskimos. If you want to be a successful Youtuber, go to a sales class. Content is way down the scale.

I just watched your first clip (super bad guy) with my normal account via plugin, and opened it again on another pc with another youtube account (linked together though). Would be interesting if you can see something in the stats tomorrow.

Anyhow...yeah it's not like I was planning on going big on youtube. I just want to keep doing my hobby while being able to use all the features youtube offers and also get a few bucks along the road (which is indeed less than 100$ per year).

That said, I also don't really "need" watchtime atm. I already got multiple times of what I need. But this counts nothing without also having subs...

My grand total watched time for the 18th Jan was 21 minutes though, which will have mostly been Eye 'skipping' through some videos, though I suspect looking for stuff to 'journalism' about rather than as a form of entertainment.
Journalism? Lol. Eh, I was just curious, lackblogger. :)
I rarely watch videos from beginning to end, be it stuff like you made or game reviews. I prefer reading, sorry. Skipping is easier when reading. So too impatient I guess.

But I hoped by writing some lines about what I thought and saw in some of your videos, lackblogger, it would make other people curious/interested too, if they weren’t right away, I mean. Sorry to see that it did not work out that well.

Edit.
To confirm your thoughts: Me, I did to go your channel.

Last edited:
Well, it says "video files can be up to 2GB in size and up to 60 minutes in length.".
Not really working for me, as my videos are often a little big longer, and almost always double the size.

Just subscribed to both channels.

They both seem like great channels that I would definitely binge watch except..........unfortunately I don't speak or understand German :(

The big problem is that running a video hosting service like YouTube is a loss-making enterprise, and few can compete with Google's ability to pay for it, as part of a larger strategy.

I'm still interested in the idea of the p2p video sharing services. What I would like to see, is a broader ecosystem, where people can pay a small amount to seed their content. What we need is an open platform that provides discoverabilty, and a way for small producers to make their own advertising arrangements, in the way that small websites can do.

I don't think that youtube itself is actually losing money. Storage and bandwidth should be rather cheap, and there are whole platforms just offering downloads of stuff for free.
The question however is, if you can find someone who pays an adequate amount of money for advertising on these platforms. So I can understand that youtube wants to make it more attactive for these money-givers. I just don't think that this is the best way.

But it's not like youtube is actively trying to hurt small youtubers. It's just a collateral damage. And it's even a damage for them. Because if you are not allowed to monetize your videos anymore, that also means that you are not generating any money for youtube and that again means, that you are only generating costs for them (and maybe keep the platform attractive by adding more content to it).

I don't know if YouTube has turned the corner into profitability - certainly a couple of years ago Google was saying that it wasn't profit making. But, even if they are now somewhat profitable, there's no way they've yet recouped the billions they pumped in to get it to this stage. It's just far beyond the means of most companies to compete.

My concern is not that they are malicious - they are just a business like any other. My problem is simply that they are currently the only realistic option, and what they decree goes. I'm never too comfortable with such a situation.

I would just like to see an alternative that has the benefits of a centralised hub for discoverability, without the constraints of a monolithic platform. The technology is available to create such a thing, and I'm hopeful that someone will find a way to implement it successfully.

I just watched your first clip (super bad guy) with my normal account via plugin, and opened it again on another pc with another youtube account (linked together though). Would be interesting if you can see something in the stats tomorrow.

It takes a day or two for the numbers to get to analytics. I just looked and 27th Jan is showing 9 minutes and 22 seconds of watch time for all videos. This comprises:

8 minutes and 29 seconds for Super Bad Guy
and
51 seconds for Gay Bull Cows

The vid you watched twice has a run time of 8 minutes and 30 seconds. So it only registered one of your full viewings.

Well, I think that is stupid. A viewer ought to be a viewer, wherever s/he watches it. It should be about the vids, not about the place of the vids.

Back
Top Bottom