BioWare - Laidlaw on the next Dragon Age game

I know but what surprises me is no one picked up the infinity engine after interplay and black isle abandoned it. It was a good engine for rpgs.

I think it all comes back to same issue: sales/numbers. 3D graphic is a BIG thing in game market now days, so I don't think 2D pixelated Infinity Engine will appeal to general public/newer generation gamers. Also, probably will be available in PC only, ignoring other console platforms. (Unless, you meant no one picked up IE back in 2000-2003).

Anyway, back to DA series. What I really hated about DA2 was that DA1 and DA2 seem completely different game. Different engine, graphics, protagonist, area… just didn't feel that DA2 is sequel to DA:O. Also, like elikal mentioned previously, Hawke/protagonist's role was not important at all.

Personally, I liked the direction they were going with having Hawke be a simple refugee with some family problems instead of "the chosen one" or someone destined to save the world from the Archdemon, etc.

I just didn't like that you couldn't really commit to siding with either the apostates or the templars/chantry (or the Qunari).

A few more factions would have been nice as well as better level design, side quests and crafting.

I think it all comes back to same issue: sales/numbers. 3D graphic is a BIG thing in game market now days, so I don't think 2D pixelated Infinity Engine will appeal to general public/newer generation gamers. Also, probably will be available in PC only, ignoring other console platforms. (Unless, you meant no one picked up IE back in 2000-2003).

Anyway, back to DA series. What I really hated about DA2 was that DA1 and DA2 seem completely different game. Different engine, graphics, protagonist, area… just didn't feel that DA2 is sequel to DA:O. Also, like elikal mentioned previously, Hawke/protagonist's role was not important at all.

Yes I meant no one picked up IE back in 2000-2003, Almost 10 years and nothing was done with it. Bioware made the aurora engine and a few others that are now discontinued also.

Seems its all about voice overs/cut scenes/ and hi def graphics. Along with the usual excuses why its not feasible.

The 2D in the infinity engine was very very expensive. The only asset reuse comes when you reuse entire maps i.e. the interior of buildings. With 3D and 2D tiles you generate content far faster and not only that, the content you generate also has attributes that can handle things like collision detection etc. That was all done manually in the IE.

The 2D in the infinity engine was very very expensive. The only asset reuse comes when you reuse entire maps i.e. the interior of buildings. With 3D and 2D tiles you generate content far faster and not only that, the content you generate also has attributes that can handle things like collision detection etc. That was all done manually in the IE.

Yes the usual excuses as I said. I know one thing I'm getting sick and tired of the unreal engine in the majority of new games.

Last edited:

Does it mean one can not developp a 2D engine that supports cheaper developpment?

I dont think so.

I don't quite agree. DA:O did take a long time but they didn't have a full team until the last two years or so - prior to that, it was mostly a small team such as writers in pre-production. Yes, they did rush DA2 but there's no reason they couldn't make a decent DA3 if they wanted.

Whether they will is a another matter but, if not, it won't specifically be because they didn't spend 6 years on it.

True, but it helps. A lot. Obviously many factors apply as to why DAO was very good and DA2 was not, but allowing a company enough time to work the details of writing, art direction, etc— even if it isn't put together until the last couple of years-- is huge. I just don't think we'll see another game with the grand scale of DAO again, and the largest factor of that is the production schedule EA requires.

It is a big thing more for developpers than players.

The industry works on the idea of progress: present games are better than yesterday's game and will be poorer than tomorrow's games.

The major game feature that can fulfill that prophecy so far is graphics. it is the major one that has been progressing steadily.

Depriving oneself from that obvious element of progress is dangerous for game developpers. It will give them a taste of what to expect once graphics have peaked.

It means that progress has to come from other features like gameplay, a domain for which progress is much less assured.

Take a look at 2D games, the graphics have not evolved spectacularly during the last five years.
3d graphics, that is another story and will remain another story for a decade or more.

I think it all comes back to same issue: sales/numbers. 3D graphic is a BIG thing in game market now days, so I don't think 2D pixelated Infinity Engine will appeal to general public/newer generation gamers.

Please don't forget that many online games ! hey do have 2D graphics and they are selling quite good ! Err … What is the equivalent of "selling" to online games, anyway ?

What I mean is that we have online games being some kind of "exile" of 2D graphics - and often cute one at that !

Just take a look at Age Of Empires Online, The Settlers Online etc. … Not to forget the many face book games.

3D online games are only MMOs - and LAN and otherwise connected shooter games, too.

But apart from that, 2D is currently "the weapon of choice" when it comes to relatively simple 2D games. Because 2D is still much easier to make and process than 3D.

Edit : Rayman Origins is another example.
It has even been published for the PC platform ! (Saw it a week ago.)

Please don't forget that many online games ! hey do have 2D graphics and they are selling quite good ! Err … What is the equivalent of "selling" to online games, anyway ?

What I mean is that we have online games being some kind of "exile" of 2D graphics - and often cute one at that !

They are F2P with a cash shop. Farmville (facebook game) generate(d) about $100 millions per year, that is about $1 player/year if their player base didn't change since 2-3 years ago.

Just take a look at Age Of Empires Online, The Settlers Online etc. … Not to forget the many face book games.

3D online games are only MMOs - and LAN and otherwise connected shooter games, too.

But apart from that, 2D is currently "the weapon of choice" when it comes to relatively simple 2D games. Because 2D is still much easier to make and process than 3D.

Edit : Rayman Origins is another example.
It has even been published for the PC platform ! (Saw it a week ago.)

Yeah, but I don't think I want to see MMO IE game :p

Back
Top Bottom