Bethesda opens new studio in - Montreal

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
And it finally happened:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165409-Bethesda-Expands-With-Montreal-Studio-Opening

Posted before that I believe a crapload of talent in games industry is "hiding" in Montreal. Can't think of a game that came out of there that was utter crap, regardless of the developer behind it. Even if a product was not brilliant, it was always at least a bit above average.

It was just a question of time when will Bethesda open their own studio there.
Good move!

Which big name still doesn't have their studio in Montreal? Dunno…
Konami maybe?

Its not the talent, its the price.
I wrote in another thread, its worth it for me to deal with the abomination that is Quebec for the cheap price of talent. I can hire two decent developers there for the cost of one recent graduate in CA.

One drawback is they have a terrible backbone for internet. Some of the biggest hiccups in routing pathways happen in Montreal servers.

Wisdom is right and wrong!

Right on the fact on cost in Canada in general. The dollar just hit a 11 yeae low vs the US dollar at .73 cent on the dollar. Which is great for Canada. The uneducated here would say it is bad, but they are thinking about buying a t-shirt over the board or going on trip to Disney world.

The fact is with a lower Canadian dollar business grows insanely here. I do believe 50% or more of movies that will be up for Oscars this year were filmed here. I had my best year in 5 with my customers that ship mostly to the US(up 23% over last year).

Wrong in the fact that on the talent, though I don't believe he meant that the talent was any less.

Draw backs is taxes, the tax rate is very high. Though Quebec always seems to get lower tax rates then the rest of the country. Personally I believe that French part of Canada(Quebec) just whine to much and threaten to separate if they were to pay their equal share.

Anyways as the US keeps recovering and keeps bring back some form of manufacturing back to their country, keeping a strong dollar it is good for Canada.

Last edited:
I will say this as well, it is a beautiful city to visit and if I wasn't such a moron when I was younger I would have ended up living here. Though English was a hard enough for me, I wish I had learned French as well.

Last edited:
Personally I believe that French part of Canada(Quebec) just whine to much and threaten to separate if they were to pay their equal share.

The only people in Quebec who threaten to separate are the separatists and they are at a all time low % of the population these days.

We (I live there) do whine a lot about all sort of things though, but people in France are worst apparently (so says my France native neighbors). I think, it's a French thing. Doesn't stop me calling whining Quebec's national sport.

Anyway, I expect to see Ubisoft whining about another new game studio opening in Montréal (they did so when Warner and Edios opened theirs).

BTW it is never good to post online when you have had drinks when you don't drink.

Last edited:
That's why I don't feel sorry for game or software companies and start-ups that are based in California (LA, San Francisco, etc) when they go belly-up. Half the money goes to rent and half the money goes to overpay salaries (and then big State taxes on top of that).

Back
Top Bottom