Nordic Games - Acquires bitComposer Catalog and Jagged Alliance IP

Actually, I liked Back in Action series and thougth of it as a promising start to transfer the series into modern times. Unfortunately it seems many thought otherwise. Personally, I think JA is dead as long as JA2 nostalgia is floating around.

Actually, I liked Back in Action series and thougth of it as a promising start to transfer the series into modern times. Unfortunately it seems many thought otherwise. Personally, I think JA is dead as long as JA2 nostalgia is floating around.

Yeah it would probably be much easier getting people to like a new game in the style of Jagged Alliance, without the Jagged Alliance name.

Agreed.

Yeah it would probably be much easier getting people to like a new game in the style of Jagged Alliance, without the Jagged Alliance name.

JA3: back into action was thought in the continuity of the series: they took the gameplay where it was left and intended to improve on it.

It would be very hard to make a game a la JA without making a JA game, the whole thing is too specific.

Jagged Alliance BIA was one of the biggest teases. The first few hours are pretty cool, but then things begin to fall apart quickly… After you progress a ways, you realize the AI just runs a straight line toward you en masse— especially during militia encounters. It soon becomes unplayable. So much of the system breaks down and you grind to a halt when you're getting sniped from halfway across the map by AI enemies with submachine guns whereas you can't hit anything with a sniper rifle.

They did some things right. But got the major bits wrong.

Unplayable in what way? The game supports tactics to eliminate enemies in large numbers.

As it stands, the game can support a large number of tactics. It collapses as devs did not have the time to implement a strategical layer to force players to select among tactics.

Without that, it turned out into a clean that level thing while it was supposed to play fully the card of the small isolated force, dropped behind enemy lines.

Several types were planned: scouting, hit and run, seek and destroy, raid, ambush, infiltration, exfiltration etc

Without the strategic layer, it never went mandatory.

Unplayable in what way? The game supports tactics to eliminate enemies in large numbers.

On the strategic layer, I could no longer hold sectors. I'd dump thousands of dollars to have the best trained militia with the best weapons, but they'd always be spread out when the sector was attacked. Since the enemy gets to mob-attack together, they'd easily chew through the 1 or 2 militia at a time they could engage. Even if I won the battle (which ALWAYS required mercs to assist), most of my expensive, highly-trained militia was gone and I just couldn't keep up before the next attack.

And on the tactical layer, the enemy AI was virtually non-existent, so to make up for it they were given outlandish skills and equipment, making the mob rush attacks very effective. You could do it, but it just got silly and quickly became un-fun as a result.

Back
Top Bottom