FO: Other Fallout 76 impressions

Any other Fallout game
Dart with much angst.

My concept? Or someone else's? I truly have no idea what you're talking about. You're white knighting a game panned near universally and lashing out at people who think it deserves the criticism because you disagree.

I'm responding to your claims that everything they do is poor except apparently marketing (even though they sold way fewer copies here - I guess that's your idea of "good" marketing) = your concept of what's poor and not poor.

That's not terribly complicated :)

So, when I "white knighted" universally acclaimed Bethsoft games in the past - that wasn't lashing out, or?

I like Fallout 76 and I've played it.

You don't like Fallout 76 and you haven't played it.

However you want to justify your obviously weaker position, there it is.

But I think we've been through this a few times before.

you-came-back-1-knew-could-count-on-you-the-3929049.png

What to add.

Yeah that is the point.

Most of us would love to play a Fallout game, at least if it is any good.
This one is not. It is a disaster. So we do not play it.

You play this game? It is fine, have a great time.

I haven't played it because it's a Bethesda game and therefore will always play like a Bethesda game. It's not rocket science - nothing they do changes. So you either like their copy/paste hiking simulators devoid of any decent writing/quests, or you don't. There's hardly any surprises to be had with their titles - you know what you're getting before you buy it.

So why on Earth WOULD I play it? Especially now with even their traditionally mediocre attempts at C&C ripped out in favor of an even more static world with holotapes?

Also, I doubt you've played it, which is essentially my point here. It's a hyperbolic campaign spread by people with little or no actual experience with that which they're talking about.

I do not have to actually taste shit to know that I would not enjoy eating it.

Why even comment in the impressions thread if you haven't tried it and have no intention or interest in trying it??

I want to read other peoples actual impressions of the game.

Edit: Feel free to make a trashtalk thread instead!

Edit edit: Came out a bit harsh.

Why? Because there is no "impressions of others" thread.
Also most of us don't make impression videos or comic strips.

The question IMO is not harsh at all, it's legit. Oddly it's you who asked, not dart (or I've missed his post).

I do not have to actually taste shit to know that I would not enjoy eating it.

Actually that’s not true. Your just assuming you won’t like it. Without ever tasting it you can’t be 100% sure. Maybe it tastes like pizza. :biggrin:

It's HARD to miss him.

I really like the game too and I knew I would. I love exploration/looting/crafting. I love first person perspective. It is vastly better than anything else until VR catches up. I mostly ignore other humans outside of a couple minutes here and there over each multiple hour session.

I believe that you have to make up your own story to truly enjoy Bethesda titles. I've never been super impressed with any of their main quest lines outside of Fallout 3. I enjoyed the story of that game.

I really have no interest in the story of the scorched either. The ripoff Skyrim dragons seems to be too much of a stretch. I also have zero interest in nuking anything or anyone for any reason. Instead, I like reading the stories of all the people who are dead and gone. I loved the puzzle of the kidnapped kid, the owner of the big mining company, the doctor seeking an antidote to the scorch poisoning, the robot stuck for eternity guarding the corpse of the airport pc tech, etc. Most of the responders have a small but interesting story as well.

Yet...I still hope that this game fails overall because this really is just Fallout 4 with co-op/MP added and should have been a DLC for that game and a $30 price point. 90% of the content is in previous games. This is just Far Harbor for the masses.

Last edited:
I never had a problem immersing myself in FO3 or FO4, and I didn't have to make up my own story to do that. Same with TES.

I wish it was that easy for me to ignore other people in MMOs but it's not. I find it pretty distracting when other players are lined up in plain view doing the exact same quest I'm trying to do.

I can tolerate that in something like TES Online, but one of my favorite aspects of the Fallout games has always been the sense of solitude they exude. For me, that goes hand in hand with the post-apocalyptic setting.

I never had a problem immersing myself in FO3 or FO4, and I didn't have to make up my own story to do that. Same with TES.

I wish it was that easy for me to ignore other people in MMOs but it's not. I find it pretty distracting when other players are lined up in plain view doing the exact same quest I'm trying to do.

I can tolerate that in something like TES Online, but one of my favorite aspects of the Fallout games has always been the sense of solitude they exude. For me, that goes hand in hand with the post-apocalyptic setting.

You won't run into people often.

Launch day everyone is level 1, they all head to the first storyline quest marker. If you started playing today there would probably be no level 1s starting at the same time as you.

I wanted to make my own path so I went the opposite direction to the first quest marker. Didn't run into anyone for days and when I did they just did a thumbs up gesture and run off again.

I don't understand why people talk about things breaking immersion. Everyone is a PRO at suspension of their disbelief. It's pretty much a required skill to view any movie. You know what you're watching couldn't really happen but you ignore it. You're playing a game and your phone rings. Were you really so enthralled with a game that you'd totally forgotten you were not actually in the game? I mean, the monitor only takes up like 20% of my view and I'm ignoring the room. WTF room, I don't want you in my game, breaking my immersion. I can even see what time it is. Damn you, clock!

Just do what you do every single day of your life and ignore almost everything but yourself.

@JDR13;

Also, don't forget, it's only 16 players per server in a world 4 times larger than FO4.

Pretty much everything gets in the way of gaming more than other players in online games. Like needing to sleep or eat!

I don't want no frail, human body getting in the way of my immersion! xD

If you actually achieve 100% immersion then you'll die at your PC like we've seen happen before over Starcraft at LAN Cafes.

Not impressed by the latest patch. The 21:9 implementation is beyond weak and lazy - and they've managed to make the game not launch from the actual launcher - as well as freeze upon exiting the game.

Kinda hard to root for them when they fuck up like that, but the core is still solid.

@JDR13;

Also, don't forget, it's only 16 players per server in a world 4 times larger than FO4.

Pretty much everything gets in the way of gaming more than other players in online games. Like needing to sleep or eat!

I don't want no frail, human body getting in the way of my immersion! xD

If you actually achieve 100% immersion then you'll die at your PC like we've seen happen before over Starcraft at LAN Cafes.

Actually, it's 24 players per server.

If you're the kind of person who REALLY doesn't like other people in your game - then I wouldn't recommend FO76.

There's no way around it, it's not a 100% solo experience.

Personally, I "live with" the fact that I will encounter annoying people - because I greatly enjoy the cooperative potential of the game, and I'm exceptionally talented when it comes to not investing in what other people do around me.

It's a sacrifice I'm used to making in MMOs.

I don't actually enjoy encountering strangers (even kind ones) most of the time. So, it's always a compromise.

However, if you can deal with occasional social experience - the rest of the game is easily on par with FO3/FO4 in terms of world building.

In fact, it seems more interesting and diverse to me, truly.

Last edited:
I'm about as antisocial as it gets; both in real life and in games. Other people are shown as white dots on your map. It is very easy to avoid folks most of the time. I see them while traveling and will even help out if they seem to be in trouble. I treat them like mute NPC's since I have voices turned off. I might emote to them, but that's about it.

I do share their CAMP sites if I need to and don't mind if they pop into mine to store stuff. Each person's stash is personal, so 60 people can load your chest but it populates in theirs.

That said, there is a lot of emptiness in this supposedly larger world. I can sometimes walk for 10 minutes without seeing anything if I stay off the roads and just wander cross country. This needs to change.

Also, Bethesda keeps increasing the amount of grinding needed. For instance, Super Mutants used to drop 10-12 .308 ammo from each mob. This is great because it normally costs 4-5 rounds to kill one. Now they only drop 1-5 and the lower number wins much more often. I'm typically finding less than 3 rounds.

The grinding is going to kill the game for me. It takes too long to do non-fun things.

I like that the world isn't saturated in locations and prefer the occasional longer trip through the wilderness.

I'm surprised there isn't more grind, to be honest. I think they're underestimating what it takes to keep people playing when they're subject to the typical MMO mindset - which most players seem to be in this case.

It's very unusual for a game to be this generous with content and constant rewards. It's almost like a singleplayer game in this way, which is very counter to the MMO paradigm.

That said, I would have preferred more "underground" or separate locations - but I understand why they felt the need to make a lot of it accessible without loading screens.

But it's a relatively small team making these games. I don't know the exact number - but the team behind Skyrim and FO4 was around 100 people - which is tiny compared to similar open world AAA games.

In fact, I'd say the norm for such games is at least 3-5 times this size, which is mostly down to the modern demands on asset fidelity. IIRC, Witcher 3 had up to 1500 people working on it worldwide, with ~250 people on the actual development team.

RDR2 had 1600+ people working on it.

Bethsoft prefer to keep the team smaller and more intimate, in an effort to coordinate and focus on their strengths. Meaning, when they sell 20 million copies - it's that much more profitable for ZeniMax.

Clearly, the FO76 team weren't the exact same people - but I expect most of them worked on FO4 to some extent.

They've clearly underestimated the technical implications of going multiplayer - and I think it's appropriate that they're getting some criticism.

My only hope is that they don't get scared off the cooperative formula - as I believe it's solid gold once they polish it up some.

Well, I haven't missed a night since I got it and that included 3 days of strep throat :) Doesn't mean the game is great for everyone, but it's good enuf for me even with me griping.

Back
Top Bottom