Hellpoint - Reviews & Beginners Guide

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Some reviews for Hellpoint and a beginners guide from Polygon to get you started.

Wccftech 7.5/10

If Hellpoint is to be remembered in the pantheon of Soulslikes, let it be for the exploration and secrets hidden throughout Irid Novo. The performance, regardless of platform, is a major sore spot for this ambitious action RPG and keeps it from being a much more recommendable experience. Nevertheless, Hellpoint is certainly up there in my favorite Soulslikes that didn't come directly from Miyazaki's teams and I can recommend it to anyone that's willing to put up with some jank for the sake of rewarding exploration.
Twinfinite 3/5

Overall, Hellpoint is a beautiful game set in a horrific and unsettling world. It takes its own unique spin on the Souls-like genre by mixing science fiction and cosmic horror together. This aesthetic is reflected perfectly in its world and boss design.

However, your gameplay experience is easily affected by numerous unpolished features, ridiculously long loading screens, frame rate issues, and other annoying elements.

Hellpoint is absolutely a game to try out if you're a fan of the Souls-like genre and especially Bloodborne. Its stunning aesthetic alone should grab your interest. However, the game unfortunately falls short of being truly amazing due to several unpolished elements.
GameWatcher 7/10

The one thing that makes Hellpoint stand out is something that you don't often see in the Soulslike genre: split screen co-op. With another profile, your friend can have their character jump into your match to help with those more difficult fights. If they fall in combat, you can revive them. However, it will cost you half your health. It can even kill you if you don't have enough health, so it comes with its own risks. It might be weird to imagine a Souls game you can play with your mate on a couch, but it makes for a good date night if you wanna crack skulls with a loved one.
GameSkinny 7/10

Hellpoint is a bit more than a loving homage to Dark Souls, offering up just enough small, unique changes to keep it from being a total clone.

If you want a new challenge, want to explore a mysterious new setting in a familiar gameplay style, and play some infuriating couch co-op (or socially distanced online gaming) with a friend, this is a solid pick-up in a suddenly crowded genre.
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

This game looks very mediocre, I'll personally wait for Mortal Shell. Hell, even if Mortal Shell sucks, I'm not playing Hellpoint, it's just not polished or well done enough to warrant any time investment.

I wanted this to be a good game.. Sadly its like our elderly gas-heater repair man: he FCKD up our gas heater twice.. will be called back no more to do any """repairs""".. :-(

Back
Top Bottom