RPG Predictions for 2018

VC 4. that's all we need this year.
One would be useful, most definetly.

vc4.jpg

So Starflight 3 has been announced this year. Thats another for me. I'm probably off about some of the features but pretty close really.

That leaves the next Dragon Age to be announced and to be not single player. (Hardly a prediction I agree)

I wonder if I will get my outlandish prediction of gold box remakes by wizards of the coast? One can only hope.

My prediction is slowly coming true. Just look at Anthem and future GaaS titles.
So Starflight 3 has been announced this year. Thats another for me. I'm probably off about some of the features but pretty close really
Isn't this game in response to Star Control: Origins? Was the Legal battle settled?
That leaves the next Dragon Age to be announced and to be not single player. (Hardly a prediction I agree)
Yeah BioWare already admitted it will have some type of live elements.:nod:

Last edited:
Yea but we can't blame bioware for this; it is corporate EA requirement for all games.
Yep question remains will it be some type of live service like most Ubisoft games, or will it be like Anthem, and force everyone to play online with optional single-player?

No clue but historically EA likes to reuse the same technology for all their games so that might provide a hint. Also their Execs are bullheaded in that they tend to blame the developers and pat themselves on the head depending on success or failure.
-
One thing I find bothersome is that massive $$$ success of games like Skyrim and Witcher 3 hasn't convince the Exec that there might be a different way of doing things. In fact the Execs at Bethesda are falling into the same trap as EA. They see that a certain model is massively successful for some games and greed cause them to optimistiically presume it will work for their games. The best thing that can happen is they take a massive hit on the $$$ and instead of the developers being canned for doing what they were told to do the Execs are given the boot. We sort of seeing this happen with Warner by admitting they made a mistake with micro transactions. Having said this they deserve a bit of credit for reworking things rather then shutting down the developer.

Yep question remains will it be some type of live service like most Ubisoft games, or will it be like Anthem, and force everyone to play online with optional single-player?

One thing I find bothersome is that massive $$$ success of games like Skyrim and Witcher 3 hasn't convince the Exec that there might be a different way of doing things.

FIFA makes a billion per year just by releasing new player packs and $30/yearly update. That's way more $$$ than Skyrim and TW3 did with all their re-release with a much larger profit margin on top of it.

Businesses wouldn't have switched to micro-transactions if it wasn't more profitable than their old model too.

Saying that, Anthem design has nothing to do with EA, it's BioWare 10th game with a co-op feature and the 9th one that will receive priced post-release content in some form. I find it weird that people act as if it was a super mega shift for the company.

Saying that, Anthem design has nothing to do with EA, it's BioWare 10th game with a co-op feature and the 9th one that will receive priced post-release content in some form. I find it weird that people act as if it was a super mega shift for the company.
Sound logic but I made my postilion clear on Anthem multiple times in various threads. So if DA:4 goes the Anthem route it will be the second BioWare game I wont buy/support.:)

Yea it is a little disgusting how many people buy FIFA games (more than 100 million for #17); Well if they like it good for them - i never liked that sort of game myself. As for bioware vs ea; yes bioware switched to dlc in dragon age origin but certainly it is well know that ea pushed both the use of a specific engine (frostbite?) AND multiplayer directive even if the game wasn't suitable for multiplayer. As for micro-transaction i think it depends on the game and pushing it for games that are not suitable (either because of the game or the type of players who play them) is a disaster.
[last post on this sub-topic as it is pretty much off topic for this thread]

FIFA makes a billion per year just by releasing new player packs and $30/yearly update. That's way more $$$ than Skyrim and TW3 did with all their re-release with a much larger profit margin on top of it.

Businesses wouldn't have switched to micro-transactions if it wasn't more profitable than their old model too.

Well I've loved football all my life but have never bought a video game that featured it. I've tried a couple of the hockey games some years ago, and I even bought a Madden or two, but never a soccer/football game yet to date.

FIFA makes a billion per year just by releasing new player packs and $30/yearly update.
It's not videogame, but scam. And is now illegal in Belgium and Netherlands. Small markets, true, but let's wait a bit and see what will be ruled in other countries. France declared such scam as a desirable way to milk their citizens dry.
Well I've loved football all my life but have never bought a video game that featured it.
I actually did but won't advertise it's title. It was a club manager game without visible ball kickin', but with shuffling players and preparing for each match, buying, selling, etc.
Never bought so called sports games where actual physical moves were oversimplified into clicks. It's just not it.

It's not videogame, but scam. And is now illegal in Belgium and Netherlands. Small markets, true, but let's wait a bit and see what will be ruled in other countries. France declared such scam as a desirable way to milk their citizens dry.
Is FIFA illegal around here? You are probably talking about lootboxes being gambling. I'm not sure if FIFA fits the bill, and there is a gap between a ruling and the actual implementation (takes some time, if at all). Before it is actually implemented they are probably going to circumvent it in some way.

The last football game I played was Sensible World of Soccer (SWOS) and I was damn good at it :)

- Pathfinder: Kingmaker will be a huge success (in RPG terms), and everyone will start calling Owlcat "the new Bioware".
Dreamland, there won't be any Bioware during a long time, the market doesn't like anymore their blueprint RPG where they was the best, and there's few chance any RPG dev ever put as much focus on companions.

Pillars of Eternity 2 will turn out to be a surprisingly great rpg, and will be a big hit...
How about never try again any prediction?

PoE2 is much better than PoE1, great is perhaps a but exaggerated, more very good with some significant weak points.

But the point is it's a sells half disaster. I have no idea what it means. I always complained PoE1 was hugely overated and it was misguiding players that now this this sub genre best possible quality is PoE1, sigh. But I wonder what's the real reason of such low sells.

*After the disappointment of PoEII & Pathfinder, CRPG developers and fans will finally realize once and for all that RTwP combat is hopelessly inferior in every way to turn-based tactical combat and henceforth there will only be TB CRPGs (OK, that is just wishful thinking on my part, not a prediction… unfortunately..:p).

Half of it could be interpreted as a successful prediction, let see the second half Pathfinder.

Now if I can't deny PoE2 combats are fairly good and not much more for most of them, the combat system is widely improved to suit a true autopause gameplay.

If combats fail it's because the tactical design depth is very average. Let face it Obisidian always been very far from Bioware talent to design tactical combats, a turn based would have require high skill profiles to be hired to raise the team design ability on this aspect.

So ok half of the prediction is fullfiled but shown nothing, but that Obsidian is still not that good at designing tactical combats.

Actually, He will have three more patches for Grimoire first, each announcing that the manual for Grimoire will appear in 2 weeks. It won't.
Can't you stop harassing him? Release the pressure and let him a few years to release the dam manual, common you waited few decades for the game, you can wait a few years for the manual, don't be in such hurry.

Dreamland, there won't be any Bioware during a long time, the market doesn't like anymore their blueprint RPG where they was the best, and there's few chance any RPG dev ever put as much focus on companions.

I recommend using an online translator. You sound like Chien 2.0

I recommend using an online translator. You sound like Chien 2.0
Let try.

You are living in dreamland.

There won't be any dev like Bioware during a long time.

The market doesn't like anymore Bioware blueprint RPG where they was the best.

And there's few chance any RPG dev ever put as much focus on companions, this was a Bioware trademark.

So no dev replacing Bioware until a long long time, and first condition will be a market evolution.

Back
Top Bottom