Queen's Wish: The Conqueror - Nothing new (engine wise) from Spiderweb

Pretty underwhelming.
The new game sounds ok. I hope there's party creation like in Avernum and not single character creation like Avadon, but the fact you play a specific character probably leans to the latter I guess. The game world is said to be "unique and fascinating" but nothing in the pitch explains how.
I'll keep an eye on updates and I might back it, but I thought I'd be falling over myself to throw money at this and I find that I'm not.

Knew it would be the same from Jeff just with improved graphics. Really see no need for a kickstarter unless he went through all his revenue earned on steam.:thinking:

Its a bad pitch. Yes, its a new series, and the basic idea is a good one. But he's asking that you pay full price for the new game, and he says its going to have new art, but the art in the pitch is from the old engine. Jeff, show me what I'm getting!!! Show me some examples of new art! If its just the option to build a fort, that's not good enough for me. This is a wait and see kickstarter for me.

Talk about phoning it in.

Still, if you back it, it'll probably be released. Of course, if you don't back it, it'll probably be released anyway. I see no case for backing to achieve something that would otherwise not be possible.

As long as people mix repetitiveness with comfort zone being scared to try something new and experiment, there will be no improvement.

PC is not about stagnation and I despise any form of it. And am saying no on this project.

Gameplay demo is okay but so little effort went into creating the actual pitch page!! But then again, maybe that is a good thing? All the effort is going into actually making the game good and not creating a fancy page and marketing campaign. From the looks of the video it looks like the most feature rich game so far. I certainly don't think it is going to be breaking any kickstarter records though :p

I hoped for advanced isometric graphics with 3D character, but now the engine even downgraded the perspective.

Still backed it because I like the idea of managing your own village/castle economy.

It is disappointing, and I can only hope this isn't the end of future developments. I still kicked in, but if the pitch had been exceptional, my contribution would have reflected that.

Well he's already reached 20% funding and he hasn't asked for all that much. So apparently just saying its a new Spiderweb game is enough for him to make his rather modest goal.

He actually called himself a living legend. Way to be humble dude. Not a very impressive pitch. I was expecting at least a small sample of new graphics but what was shown looks old and see old stuff.

Well, self-proclaimed Mr. "Living Legend" just put together the worst and most low effort, unappealing kickstarter that I have seen in ages...its so bad, that its legendary. <_<

I wouldn't beat him up for the "living legend" thing. I think he was going for a bit of dry, absurd humour, but in his geeky awkwardness it just doesn't come off.

Setting the goal at a mere $30K and making the first stretch goal for iphone port, it's clear he isn't really going for anything new. Same engine, same bare bones graphics. And that's fine but he isn't enticing anyone who isn't already a diehard fan of his with the same old formula. I'll wait for reviews but sounds exactly like all of his other games with a bit of fort management. TLDR: Meh.

Its a bad pitch. Yes, its a new series, and the basic idea is a good one. But he's asking that you pay full price for the new game, and he says its going to have new art, but the art in the pitch is from the old engine. Jeff, show me what I'm getting!!! Show me some examples of new art! If its just the option to build a fort, that's not good enough for me. This is a wait and see kickstarter for me.

Actually, it's even worse than that. This IS the new art. None of the art in the pitch isometric. Which means the artist actually produced that crap….

Pretty underwhelming.
New Engine? Well, if what was shown is the new engine, he might be worse of than before. As far as I remember I didn't even mention the engine in his video.
Also the tiers are rather disappointing. I mean the entry level is fine. But it feels like he doesn't want to make money. There is absolute no temptation in payming more than the base game. Nothing interesting at all. I'd really like to give him more money (if the game was actually more promising) but with these tiers I can't justify it.
Give me an overpriced T-Shirt or an overpriced Cloth-Map or even an overpriced-Poster. I understand that he doesn't offer like a physical collectors edition as that's too much effort to produce for such a small group. But it's no effort at all, to just create some T-Shirts or Posters.

Last but not least: The only "real" feature seems to be the crafting and manage your town thing. And that's a part of the game I am the least interested in.

Well he's already reached 20% funding and he hasn't asked for all that much. So apparently just saying its a new Spiderweb game is enough for him to make his rather modest goal.

That was part of the strategy: small pledge goal to be funded by devout, apologetic fanboys, put a new roof on the house, take the wife to Paris before too old and decrepit, come back and continue work on the same thing you've been doing for the past 30 years.

Jeff's nothing if not a pragmatist.

It will be interesting to see his stretch goals - see if he's thought that far in advance with notions of content actually deserving of a Kickstarter for an already established entity.

Actually, it's even worse than that. This IS the new art. None of the art in the pitch isometric. Which means the artist actually produced that crap….

Now that I look closer, I see you are mostly correct. The portraits, I believe, are the same as in Avernum. On the other hand the figures look like they are on minature bases and some of the monsters definately look new. I think many of the tiles may be old though. All in all not an artistic improvement.

So... uh... rather than going for an isometric look he's going for a that half-flat RPGMaker perspective?
Ugh.

Build new forts and customize them. Install your own smithies, shops, and furniture, giving each fortress your own unique spin.
I guess this is the where the real effort is going - gotta jump on that construction fad!

I like the three Avernum games I've played, less sold on his Bioware emulation attempt (Avadon) and was hoping he was going to do something a bit more interesting. Will he ever do something as original as Geneforge again?

I'm disappointed, underwhelmed. Sure, I'll probably buy it when it comes out (with customary release discount), but there's no incentive for me to support this Kickstarter.

Back
Top Bottom