|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

July 20th, 2018, 17:11
Altered Carbon was okay. It felt like it was trying harder to be cool than deep, and was held back by some poor acting and melodramatic writing. I'd still probably watch S2.

Silver Coin

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

July 20th, 2018, 17:14
Yeah, I wasn't impressed by Altered Carbon either. It started out well enough, but sort of dragged on and was a little too focused on the spectacle.

As for science fiction in general, I think Westworld remains my favorite show of these past few years.

Good sci-fi is very rare. Didn't care for The Expanse, either.

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

July 20th, 2018, 17:58
Originally Posted by JackOfOwls View Post
You matter.
Thanks, you too. Otherwise I wouldn't reply in the first place, hehe
Btw, who's the handsome asian lad in your avatar?
I don't find him particulary handsome, except his ears and this shot turned out too good (actually that's what I imagine as lawful evil looks, so there it is). The actor is Lee Joon Gi and the scene is from Lawless Lawyer series which is an okay court drama mixed with action show. It's IMO overrated and I see no reason to bother with it and paying for viki pass (this one is not available for free with ads).
I've had boy-crushes too over certain male movie stars. Klaus Kinski for example always had a hypnotic effect over me with his strange, sometimes androgynous seeming ugly/beauty and the mad intensity of his performances.
Back in the day my room was full of posters of both males and females. And cars, and mechs, and mobs, etc. Can't say there was some crush somewhere, didn't try to analyze myself at that age, but most of those posters were Bruce Lee. Somehow I always thought stills from his movies were cool.
Besides I've admitted before having a soft spot for asians so no surprise there I guess.
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
If you haven't seen the first season of Altered Carbon, you should. It made me go out and buy the books (trilogy).
Originally Posted by Silver Coin View Post
Altered Carbon was okay. It felt like it was trying harder to be cool than deep, and was held back by some poor acting and melodramatic writing. I'd still probably watch S2.
That show is horribly bad. Didn't read books but everyone says those are great so I'd suggest going for books and skipping the show.
If second season ever happens, I'll ignore it.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)

July 20th, 2018, 17:59
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
That show is horribly bad.
Are we talking about Handmaid's Tale? I agree!
@Silver Coin, how about less well known sci movies such as Europa Report?

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

July 20th, 2018, 18:05
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Are we talking about Handmaid's Tale? I agree!
No, we're not talking about Handmaid's Tale. There are no plastic steroids bodybuilder acting_antitalents in there.
Maybe if they casted Dwayne Johnson instead of that lead role… No. It'd still be emotionless boredom.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 21st, 2018, 13:54
SyFy started airing the fourth season of their trash that survived axing. Unlike Dark Matter and The Expanse which both got cancelled by SyFy, they renewed Killjoys for 4th and 5th season.
In case you didn't watch this garbage before, it's cutes vs noncutes idiocy with abyssmal story and IMO you should skip it and spend time with something else.

CBS prepared a trailer for the next season of ST: Discovery. To me it does look promising - no, I'm not talking about CGI and action. Finally there is something Star Trek previous season forgot to add. Humor!

loading…
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

+1:

July 21st, 2018, 14:14
Used to watch Killjoys but stopped after season two. As for ST: Discovery I'm not paying for another live TV service. That why I have Netflix but it seems it's not enough.

It's depressing to me that you will have to pay for over five different services in the future just to watch new TV shows, and movies. Disney is even joining the Live Service.

Something called DisneyFlix and it will gate a lot of content.
--
"Troll Make Internet Mad, Troll Like Anger, Troll wants people as miserable as Troll"

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

Grumpy Old Troll

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

July 21st, 2018, 14:21
I can understand CBS monopolizing Discovery in USA while letting the rest of the world streaming it on Netflix. Tons of $ are in the game and they want to milk as much as they possibly can.
Sooner or later stupid geoblocking will be over with. Among "small" players, China is pushing it's removal and when was the last time they weren't successful in economic transformations? Besides, didn't music industry blossom when they ditched the stone age licensing and modernized availability to (almost) everyone?
Till that rubbish is dealt with, there is a shady solution: VPN.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 21st, 2018, 17:55
I quite like the Killjoys for what it is, which is mindless entertainment with a mostly likeable cast (I remember Jinxy from the Warehouse show) and a very attractive lead character… Remove those two and the show is nothing

That's my shallow self talking but not all shows can be amazing joxer masterpieces.

I think the show has some interesting story arcs, but they never really go anywhere. However, I think that if you enjoy shows set in space with some fantasy built-in that it's quite nice.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

July 21st, 2018, 18:57
Lately, I've been watching some French criminal series on Netflix: La Mante (lit. The Mantis, in Brasil was called "O Louva-a-Deus"), Le Chalet (The Chalet) and La ForÍt (The Forest, in Brasil was called "O Bosque"). La Mante and La ForÍt were, in my opinion, the better ones, with Le Chalet coming right behind.
--
Sou tricolor de coraÁ„o!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jšger!
Last edited by henriquejr; July 21st, 2018 at 20:07.

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

July 21st, 2018, 22:00
Yeah anything not available on regular television or Netflix I'll just get the dvd's from the library when they come in. I'm not paying for ten different services just for shows that tend to not even be good.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

July 22nd, 2018, 02:06
Watching Final Space on Netflix. Glad it wasn't a Rick and Morty rip-off, which i was preparing for, i find that series more annoying than good, much due to the annoying voice actors. This is better. The protagonist is kind of a 70/30 mix of Zapp Branningan and Fry from Futurama.
--
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners."
- George Carlin

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

July 22nd, 2018, 04:39
Finished watching the second series of Handmaid's Tale tonight, a couple of filler episodes but the finale was pretty strong, and it ended in such a manner to make the future of the show even more compelling. Considering they surpassed the book quite some time ago, this show is forging a pretty good path.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

July 22nd, 2018, 05:25
Wynonna Earp series returns to our screens today; it's weird, but addictive!!
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

[email protected]

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

July 22nd, 2018, 13:49
As the son is currently quite interested in space and spaceships and horror, he bought the first season of The Expanse which I must say was quite good. The only SF series I could counter his with was, well, Red Dwarf … he was pretty shocked when we watched the first episode, but when I wanted to switch off the player, he demanded 'Hey, whaddaya doin'? Another one!'
We're in season 4 now xD.

Movie-wise, we're watching the Alien series inbetween (in the order they were made, not chronologically).
--
ESO-playing machine

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

Play nice.©
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

July 22nd, 2018, 14:28
Your son has a good taste but IMO should spoil it with some mainstream garbage to discuss with his generation as school or somewhere. Not unwatchable rubbish ofc, just those mediocre shows that aren't annoying, cw's stuff like Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tommorrow.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 23rd, 2018, 00:13
He'd probably prefer Supergirl!!
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

[email protected]

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

July 23rd, 2018, 02:11
The Expanse is enjoyable telly, and an even better set of novels, but Red Dwarf….well, Red Dwarf is just superior, at least for me. In any case, watch and enjoy together.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

+1:

July 23rd, 2018, 16:11
Well another day and look what news I found for rebooted TV shows.

Link - https://tvline.com/2018/03/25/charme…iginal-series/
Exactly two decades after the Halliwell sisters first Charmed television audiences, The CW is hoping to recreate that magic with a “fierce, funny, feminist reboot” of the still-popular supernatural saga.
Link - https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/22/enter…oot/index.html
The supernatural drama "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" will be getting a reboot with an African-American actress in the lead role, a Fox 21 Television Studios spokesperson confirmed to CNN.

"Like our world, it will be richly diverse, and like the original, some aspects of the series could be seen as metaphors for issues facing us all today," producers on the project told Deadline, which first reported news of the "Buffy" reboot.
Alright now excuse me while I go laugh my ass off.
--
"Troll Make Internet Mad, Troll Like Anger, Troll wants people as miserable as Troll"

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

Grumpy Old Troll

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

July 23rd, 2018, 16:16
That whole Buffy thing makes no damn sense at all to me, with how the series ended there are multiple avenues available to simply continue the story. Why on earth would they reboot the bloody thing and invalidate years of canon??

One show I'm quite enjoying is Preacher. In some ways it is very different from the comics, which is a smart idea when the medias are so very different. For me, it has gotten the story and relationships quite right so far, and this is one I'll be continuing to watch.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread