First Person Part combat.... recommendations

Drithius

Magic & Loss
Once upon a time, I played through 75% of M&M6 as well as WIzardry 8; I know - heresy for not finishing! Lately, however, I've felt like playing a game in the vein of these two and am looking for recommendations.

Should I pop in one of these two again and play it again? Should I maybe try out M&M7 (though I don't own this one I think :( ). Or, god forbid, is there something out there besides these franchises that has party-based first person combat and/or isn't 20 years old?

Sometime this year Frayed Knights will be released. Other than that I would say play Wiz 8 again or Wiz 7, but I've always favored those.

If you have Wizards & Warriors that one is also good. Although a pain to get running. Devil Whiskey is an updated Bard's Tale. Still has a few quirks in it, but it's not bad. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Oh and you could wait in vain for Grimoire to be released. Who knows maybe he'll actually release it this time. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

It's very thin for "modern" games. Outside of the old classics, to get that spreadsheet gamer fix you're mostly stuck with indies like Eschalon and the Spiderweb-devloped games (those are excellent games, BTW, but still indies and not 1st person). If you haven't done MM7 yet, you must play that game. It's just a bit less "epic" than MM6, but the character development is much deeper. Wiz8 and MM7 are quite simply the best games evah.

You really should finish your MM6 and Wiz8 runs at some point, but those are both very long games so we'll give you a little time before we get the pitchforks and torches. ;)

wizards and warriors is it old though.

i do think wizardry 8 is the most modern of the party based first person turn based combat games made.

It doesnt get better than that.

make sure you use wizfast.

Went ahead and ordered the M&M platinum edition off Amazon... $50 still, sheesh. Anyone have experience with this + Windows 7?

Its possible mm 9 is the most modern party based first person game.

Its possible mm 9 is the most modern party based first person game.
That abomination isn't discussed in polite company, stamar. ;) (It might have been a decent game, but it was released very buggy and turned its back on everything that made the M&M series great)

I never got far enough into it to give it a fair review.

The part that i did get to see was actually quite interesting, it was some sort of interactive museum.

In overall feel, might and magic 9 and wizards and warriors are closer to eachother as they are real time with some arcade element a la dodging fireballs

whereas wizardry 8 is definitely turn based with long ( were talking half hour) tactical battles.

Many people go crazy in an area called the rapax something or other where theres just fighting foor hours and hours and I dont think of that as a high point in wizardry 8 but something to conquer and be done with.

That abomination isn't discussed in polite company, stamar. ;) (It might have been a decent game, but it was released very buggy and turned its back on everything that made the M&M series great)

Quite rignt. It's the most buggy game I've ever played. Don't remember if it crashed a lot, but there were bugs that made it impossible to finish the game, unless you had an early save and/or knew how to circumvent them. Also huge inconsistencies, like major NPCs who died as part of the story but were still alive and kicking elsewhere in the gameworld.

I should know. I finished it. There actually is a decent game in there, if you can ignore the bugs and the as-an-M&M-game-failures. Is it worth it? No!

What happened to the wizardry 8 team?

I tell you what, keep it low budget, use modern graphics and the same engine even.
Throw it out there and it would take over the world.

Theres nothing like it anymore.

Honestly I hadnt played a rpg in about 2 years, and sadly Im realizing I didnt miss anything.

As a mattter of fact the last great rpg seems to be gothic 2

The team scattered to other jobs. I seem to remember Brenda answering a question once that the entire team landed on their feet after Sir-Tech died. Brenda worked on Playboy Mansion and then other titles. Charles got a job with another developer, but I don't remember any details. I don't know what happened to Alex.

I remember Charles saying it was unlikely the team could be re-assembled even if some angel showed up to bankroll Wiz9.

I haven't tried it yet (still waiting for its imminent release on Gamersgate), but Underworld, as recommended in several places, looks good. Also really looking forward to Frayed Knights, when Jay finally stops taking his own sweet time :p (j/k)

Back
Top Bottom