Mafia 3

The first two Mafia games are very unique in the GTA-like family because of their setting in the America of the 30s-40s. This one looks like it's closer to the 70s-80s and will be heavily compared to GTA.

Played Mafia 1 till the point where you're supposed to "win" formula race. Without doing that, you can't proceed.
Was it Mafia or Need For Spped?
Instauninstalled.

Never bothered with it's sequel, won't bother with the third game either.

Loved the first Mafia to death, even if I thought it was a pretty bad open world game. The story and atmosphere were through the roof. Fantastic ending to boot.

I kinda liked the sequel, but never finished it - and was turned off in a big way by the ridiculous DLC scheme.

This looks like it could go both ways.

My intangible "gut feeling" based on too many years of gaming tells me it's going to be better than one might expect.

New team, though. I really admired the original developers, who also made perhaps my favorite WW2 game: Hidden and Dangerous.

Played Mafia 1 till the point where you're supposed to "win" formula race. Without doing that, you can't proceed.
Was it Mafia or Need For Spped?
Instauninstalled.

Never bothered with it's sequel, won't bother with the third game either.

You missed a good game. The race was out of place but the rest of the game was damn good.

The race was hard and took about a dozen tries for me, but once you got past it..... Sweet game!

I'm also one of the ones that really loved the first Mafia game. I absolutely loved the story, the characters and the music (loved the radio stations). I also loved the ending. I also remember it being quite hard on some of the missions, as you couldn't save during. I vaguely remember the docks mission where there are plenty of enemies with long-range rifles hidden across the dock cranes. And I also remember one of the last missions (iirc) in the museum. I also liked that driving was very strict, and that cops would come after you for the slightest illegal thing. I also a memory of getting into one of the old-school cars and trying to get to one of the highest points in the city, by climbing a pretty steep hill, and having the car die on me, not being able to handle that sort of angle. Great memory :D

For some reason I never got into Mafia 2. I tried it for a bit. I think this is, at least in my case, a symptom of not having that much time to game anymore, and maybe not having the patience for some of the games. I honestly can't remember not liking something about it, but just couldn't get into it at that time as I remember having some other priorities at that time. I'm not sure.

I'm also one of the ones that really loved the first Mafia game. I absolutely loved the story, the characters and the music (loved the radio stations). I also loved the ending. I also remember it being quite hard on some of the missions, as you couldn't save during. I vaguely remember the docks mission where there are plenty of enemies with long-range rifles hidden across the dock cranes. And I also remember one of the last missions (iirc) in the museum. I also liked that driving was very strict, and that cops would come after you for the slightest illegal thing. I also a memory of getting into one of the old-school cars and trying to get to one of the highest points in the city, by climbing a pretty steep hill, and having the car die on me, not being able to handle that sort of angle. Great memory :D

Hehe, you just reminded me of a few missions that I'd forgotten. As I recall, the Museum level was beautiful.

I remember some sniper mission where I had to assassinate another Mobster or politician or something, which was a great mission IIRC :)

[For some reason I never got into Mafia 2. I tried it for a bit. I think this is, at least in my case, a symptom of not having that much time to game anymore, and maybe not having the patience for some of the games. I honestly can't remember not liking something about it, but just couldn't get into it at that time as I remember having some other priorities at that time. I'm not sure.

It's not really on the same level as the first game, so you haven't missed all that much.

Hmm, I just searched for some gameplay on youtube (it's actually quite hard to find any it seems), but found some. It's the museum level.

It's certainly not aged very well. I always like to look back at games that I have a very pristine memory of, and just see how subjective graphics are. I honestly remember them very beautiful, and also remember the museum having plenty of reflective surfaces. But it's interesting how memory works.

Last edited:
Hmm, I just searched for some gameplay on youtube (it's actually quite hard to find any it seems), but found some. It's the museum level.

It's certainly not aged very well. I always like to look back at games that I have a very pristine memory of, and just see how subjective graphics are. I honestly remember them very beautiful, and also remember the museum having plenty of reflective surfaces. But it's interesting how memory works.

I think that looks pretty good, actually - considering the age of the game :)

Those are bugs.
The Guardian describes the gameplay as "terminal repetitiveness":
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/10/mafia-3-review-1960s-shooter-gameplay

Although the patch unlocked FPS, seems only Titan X Pascal can run 60FPS on 1080p resolution. Whatta joke.
Apparently turning Reflection Detail and Volumetric Effects to low will help getting cca 15 FPS more while visual changes are almost unnoticable when you lower those.

Finally, people say the graphics generally sucks, but there is already a mod that apparently corrects the blurry and "washed" default visuals:
https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/6205/

I'm enjoying mafia 2, not sure about this one though. I'll decide after finishing 2.

Watched the intro...really nice work at introducing themes, characters,setting... quick and to the point.
But the word is, after a few hours it turns into another Ubisoft checklist.

Tuned in just in time to hear streamer CohhCarnage'assessment: it is all about story, character developpment etc Story quality is one in the decade quality.
So nothing to appeal to a gamer.

Okay I went to a freind who bought it. On PC. And his PC is not quite gaming PC (some rubbish laptop with GTX 850) so he set everything on low but nVidia Shadowplay says it's running avg 25FPS…
:rolleyes:

Does graphics (when upped a bit higher so I can see it) choke it? I say no.
Great: faces
Good: hair, houses/cars/trees/boats
horrible and look like playstation 1: clothes, weather effects, sky

Overall impression on visuals - this looks like a game from playstation 3, not from playstation 4

Music is basically radio stations and it's great.
Story what I've seen starts a bit confusing but you get into it fast. Voiceovers feel awsome, especially Cassandra - you'll instantly recognize Erica Tazel, even the face looks like her a bit.

Driving is horrible and you waste too much time in a car. Why someone believes Need for Speed needs a story? Or why someone believes a story needs Need for Speed?

Stealth is okay but worse than classic stealth games. Melee combat is practically button smashing. Shooting is awsome - WITHOUT autoaim. Default is some autoaim whatnot which is a slap to PC audience. Not my friend nor me need that bullshit in games.

Ubisoft checklist is not true, there are no hundreds of things to collect in a small area, just a dozen or so in the first district I've watched.

Oh yeah, the game crashed twice in a few hours. The problem? It's openworld - with checkpoints. And there is no cab to call like in GTA5 to move you instantly somewhere.
So you need to drive back from somewhere and do something all over again. Someone should make checkopints illegal in openworlds.

Not saying the game is an utter rubbish but it does feel like prematurely released beta or whoever ported this on PC didn't know what are they doing.

Port analysis by PC Gamer:
http://www.pcgamer.com/mafia-3-pc-port-analysis/

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is another recent game that can eat graphics cards for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and come away still hungry. Unlike Mafia 3, it includes many more options to tweak, and the default 'medium' setting is arguably better than Mafia 3's 'high' option. Turn DXMD to 'ultra' and there aren't many PCs equipped to handle the workload, at least not yet. But in that game, I can point to various features and know why they kill performance for only a moderate improvement in visual fidelity. With Mafia 3, the answers are far less certain.
One this I can agree here. DX:MD looks like actual year 2016. game.
Mafia 3 looks like it was made 5 years ago. Yet performs worse.

Back
Top Bottom