best clone for freelancer(microsoft)

rikus

Sentinel
if anyone enjoyed the game and its wonderful (babylon 5) mods, I think i'm ready for another such adventure.

i've seen darkstar one as a candidate. but it didn't get such great reviews.

would love some recommendations.

p.s.
cant be an mmorpg. only single player

Darkstar One isn't that bad, but you are limited to a single (upgradable) ship.

There is the X series, but they are more company/commerce oriented than Freelancer was.

I also seen people saying that Evochron Mercenary was similar to Freelancer, but I didn't try it personally.

Otherwise, I guess you'll have to wait for the "standalone" universe of Star Citizen…whenever that get released. (edit: for something newer)

Last edited:
I can add two more games that might interest you rikus.:)

Spaceforce Rogue Universe
Space Force - Rogue Universe is an action RPG space simulation game, with emphasis on key elements such as ship development, exploration of an immersive universe and freedom of choice. After the pilot leaves the starting zone, Space Force - Rogue Universe opens an almost unlimited space for exploration.
Link - http://www.dreamatrix.net/site/index.php/games/spaceforce-rogue-universe.html

Starpoint Gemini 2
Captain your own space ship and roam the galaxy in 3D in this tactical space simulator with tons of RPG depth ! Space has never looked so inviting - but images can betray… It has been two years since the end of the second Gemini war, the situation in the wartorn system is further from resolution than ever.
Link - http://www.starpointgemini.com/

DarkStar One is certainly worth a try for the 50 cent or so it costs nowadays. This was a relatively expensive production.

edit:
Wait for the Patricians and Merchants bundle to go on sale. It went as low as .99$ before, I think.

I agree, DarkStar One was actually pretty good. Takes some time to get into, but it's worth playing.

I've been searching for more "Freelancer" like games for ages. Never really found any beyond the ones mentioned here. It's rather annoying, as it can't be that hard to have an open universe, but with an actual story.

If you can handle the quaint visuals - I found Tachyon: The Fringe to be quite good back in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyon:_The_Fringe

Obviously, the original Privateer is superb - and I believe there's a modern version with improved visuals - though it's still using original assets. The sequel was inferior, but still might be worth playing - and slightly more modern.

Also, from what I hear, X-Rebirth with the latest "expansion" is supposed to be quite playable, finally. It was absolutely abysmal upon release - but it seems they've been hard at work optimising and polishing it. I would probably do some proper research first, though, to avoid being burned. But it's the most modern of the bunch.

If you can handle the quaint visuals - I found Tachyon: The Fringe to be quite good back in the day.

That game was awesome...mostly because of Bruce Campbell. I still have the box too.

as far as i've researched i found that starpoint gemini 2 is closest successor for freelancer, also in terms of graphics(not much by story).

the older games must be better at story and gameplay, but after playing freelancer as "source" its hard to get back to these graphics(although i do play old games).

Back
Top Bottom