Dungeons & Dragons Tactics Hands-On @ gameSpot

txa1265

SasqWatch
Dungeons & Dragons Tactics - preview and information thread

This is a PSP game, which is why I put it in 'off topic'. The folks at GameSpot got a look at this upcoming game:

Earlier today, during a meeting with Atari, we had an opportunity to get our hands on an alpha version of Dungeons & Dragons Tactics for the PlayStation Portable. Currently scheduled for release in February, the turn-based strategy game adheres quite strictly to the D&D 3.5 rule set but is most definitely being developed with newcomers as well as hardcore D&D fans in mind. During the hour or so that we were able to spend with the game on this occasion, we took a good look at the character-generation system (there are no drow or half-dragons, sorry) and then put our new character and his party to work in a couple of early missions.

This is one that I'm very much looking forward to for next year!

Last edited:
This sounds a lot like Fire Emblem. And if there is anything like FE in this game I might consider picking it up (and a PSP in the way, since I don't have one)

That's all my girl wants for Christmas...going to be a cheap Christmas this year...:p

Slightly off-topic, but Walmart is supposedly having the PSP on sale the day after Thanksgiving for $169.24 (Friday 5-11AM Only).

I look at the Fire Emblem games as larger scale - I mean, I had like 20 companions in Sacred Stones ... but the whole strategic party based thing looks great.

Actually, there are 33 characters in FE The Sacred Stones, and I think there were even more characters in Blazing Sword, though unlocking all of them and keeping them alive was quite a feat. The permanent death thing can really force you to replay the same mision over and over again. A DnD game would probably skip this over.

I was just thingking of scope - it is your battalion vs. theirs in FE, compared to party vs. monsters in D&D.

Indeed, so far the only resemblence DnDT has to FE is in the screenshots and maybe some of the game mechanics. We'll have to wait and see.

OK, I changed the title to something more generic so I can just dump in more stuff when it happens.

Today GamingNexus has an interview with producer Eric Grossman.

GamingNexus: Can you give us a brief overview of the plot? How did you come up with the plot for the game? Is it based on any existing modules or is it all original?
Eric Grossman: At first, there was a lot of discussion about which realm to set the game. We talked about Forgotten Realms, Eberron and some other settings. Ultimately, we decided to make it just straight up D&D. This allowed for a lot of freedom and Kuju set about to come up with an original story in an agnostic D&D setting. WoTC again consulted and helped us shape the story to make sure that it was true to the license. I don’t want to give too much away, but the player’s party find themselves embroiled in a conflict between two very powerful parties. Depending on their final alignment, the player characters will decide who wins this contest. The story takes you to a variety of locales, from Elven forests to a ruined temple laden with vampires to the Astral Plane.

He goes on to say that the game will be ~40 hours or so long, and talks about multiplayer - but doesn't discuss whether it is ad-hoc or infrastructure mode (local or internet wireless)

Why? Unless it turns out to be complete crap, it looks like a title that can make you buy a console. While it is not a big system seller title, it might turn a few people to a PSP ...

I suppose if I play my cards right I can grab the console from my nephew. He's only 7 and I can take him. :)

I suppose it would be unheard of to port a portable's game to a PC, but one can hope.

Why? Unless it turns out to be complete crap, it looks like a title that can make you buy a console. While it is not a big system seller title, it might turn a few people to a PSP ...

That was one of the initial motivations behind the article series I did at the 'Dot and am starting as a recurring thing here.

I really apreciate those articles. It is nice to hear that good RPG games are available on other platphorms as well.

Back
Top Bottom