Eschalon: Book II - Officially Announced

magerette

Hedgewitch
Gamebanshee posts a press release from Basilisk Games announcing the second iteration of their indie cRPG, Eschalon: Book II:
INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana – June 10, 2008 – Basilisk Games, an independent computer game developer specializing in role-playing games, today announced that Eschalon: Book II has entered full production and is expected to be released Q2 2009 for Windows, Macintosh and Linux-based computers...

"Basilisk Games is very excited to announce that we will be releasing Book II early next year. Classic, old-school computer role-playing is very much a viable market and we have been happy with the consumer response to Book I." commented Thomas Riegsecker, Lead Developer of the Eschalon series. "Book II will be an exciting step forward for the series."
There's more information here at the official site, including screenshots:
Eschalon: Book II is the sequel to 2007's acclaimed independent RPG Eschalon: Book I. Built on an updated engine and the same design principals as its predecessor, Book II features a huge tile-built game world and a unique approach to turn-based gameplay. Thousands of items, creatures, NPCs, dungeons, traps, and puzzles await your discovery in this old-school role-playing game inspired by such classics as Ultima, Might & Magic and Wizardry.

Book II continues Eschalon's world events where Book I ended, though no previous experience is needed to enjoy the game. Book II features a sprawling story spanning three regions with cause-and-effect outcomes to many quests.

Book II uses an updated game engine running at 1024 x 768 native resolution. Hundreds of new graphic elements, tiles, sound effects and music means Book II is not just a remix of Book I.

New weather effects including snow, rain, and thunderstorms which can affect gameplay stats and skills.

New gender selection (play as a male or female), additional skills and enhanced skill development allows you to advance your character as high as level 30.

Enhanced GUI includes additional save game slots, increased number of Inventory and Quick Slot spaces, new Key Ring and Potion Mixer, "Equipment configuration" presets for convenient swapping of entire armor and weapons sets, and more!

New difficulty modes, challenges and tracked statistics add to replay value.
More information.

talk about a news day for this site. Too bad this is going to be overshadowed.

Well, it's certainly a piece of good news... although Basilisk really do seem to have taken a few classes at the Pete Hines Academy of PR Speak.

cause-and-effect outcomes to many quests

And that means what? That quests don't resolve themselves spontaneously? I guess they mean multiple solutions (as indeed Book I had), and can only hope that the effects of your choices will propagate beyond the conclusion of one quest.

Hundreds of new graphic elements, tiles, sound effects and music means Book II is not just a remix of Book I. New weather effects including snow, rain, and thunderstorms which can affect gameplay stats and skills.

Well, hooray. How very next-gen.

But, seriously: I enjoyed Book I quite a lot, but it had glaring weaknesses: the story was based on a ludicrous premise (that amnesia setup... ouch!) and was just another variation on the "find the magic doodad, then the four keys, then face foozle" scheme, characters were rather flat and unengaging, threads were left unresolved (that traitorous priest?). It was good, nostalgic fun to see the gameplay of yore being allowed a return to the stage in shiny new clothes, but for me, that craving was served pretty well by Book I, and unless they do something to improve the writing and have just forgotten to mention it in their rush to tell us about the new weather effects, Book II is anything but a certain purchase for me.

Ah they have the review up from my games magazine (the one ive read for 16 years):

April 23, 2008 - Finnish print magazine Pelit praises Book I

This news is actually a bit old now as the review was printed a few months ago, however we were just notified of a scanned version of the review posted online by the publisher. We received an 84/100 and high marks for the game's presentation and level of challenge. There are some nice screen captures with the article that are worth viewing if you want
to learn more about the game.

The review can be read here http://www.pelit.fi/uploads/pics/Eschalon_66-67.pdf

The reviewer "NNirvi" is a famous old finnish games journalist. Ive read his reviews since the 1980s.

Last edited:
Great! A definite must buy for me.
Im also very interested in news about this second game he is planning, which apparently will revive dungeonmaster like games.

Thanks everyone!

We've just kicked up a Q&A thread in the Book II forums over at http://basiliskgames.com/forums

I'll be selecting 1 question per week (or several questions, if they are related and can be grouped) and answering it. It will be kind of a weekly feature, if you will.

We are always listening to the fans, so please stop in and make yourself heard if you have an idea or would like us to add a specific feature.

Thanks again for all your support and enthusiasm. Cheers!

Chalk up another definite purchase. I like the planned improvements, too.

Hope you're on the north side and not down towards Franklin. Otherwise the world of Book 2 might become decidedly water-based.

BTW- my login over at the Basilisk forums never did get fixed when I tried to change my email. Any chance you could kill the old login and I'll sign up again?

Very happy to see you can now play with a female avatar. In some games I don't care about this, but in Eschalon there was something about the little guy with his shirt out I just couldn't relate to :)

Thanks for listening and it makes this game a much more definite purchase for me.

My only complaint: Q2 2009?! Gah!!! :( Guess I have to reset my expectations, as I was hoping for Q4 this year. Guess that means more time to get through the Witcher. If I ever stop playing MoC, that is...

Back
Top Bottom