RPGWatch Feature - Divinity: Original Sin II Review

Also, saying that scores shouldn't be compared to other games' review scores is strange. Games aren't reviewed and scored in a vacuum.

Myrthos explained categories VS comparison really well. My comment about not comparing scores is that a limited score system of 6 possible choices means that some things will double up. Darkest Dungeon and Witcher 3 are nothing alike, yet can be scored the same. It doesn't mean that DD and TW3 are the "same". It means they both fit the category.
Like Maylander referred to, Tony Hawke 2 has the same numerical score as the other top games but it doesnt mean TH2 is a comparison.

Comparing MassEffect /5 score to Divinity /5 score is just silly and only causes people to be disappointed with what they have or outraged with the feeling of silly injustice.

Sad to hear there's not going to be an EE. There will be patches and mods though I suppose, and I've already spotted one that makes the exponential vitality curve less obvious. Now to find one for the gear progression (I loved that I could wear the Tyrant set when I had all pieces. One level later it's obsolete. Oh well…)

No EE? Probably because the release made a boatload of money. No EE cash-in necessary. :)

I actually consider asking for a refund on this one, tbh. Eventually I got to the point where I thought I could progress without cheesing, and then just plowed through to finish the mess. Hearing that there will be no further addition to this is enough to make me grimace a bit less.

That doesn't sound too good carn. How can this one be cheesed though? I'm curious.

No EE? Probably because the release made a boatload of money. No EE cash-in necessary. :)

I would not hold my breath. He might have said that to swerve those waiting for an Enhanced Edition (myself included) towards buying it now.

I would not be surprised by an eventual Enhanced Edition.

Good, well-written review. I'm 35 hours in and have found it to definitely be worth my time. Is it an instant classic deserving of a 5 out of 5? Until I finish, I reserve judgement. However, I can say that it's a better game than DOS1. I actually am invested in my henchpeople and the plot is more involving. I'm not sure how I feel about all the changes to combat, as I actually liked DOS1 combat just fine. The two types of armor, especially, is an odd stylistic choice, although I can see the game-play reasons why they might choose to do so.

It raises the hype to sell more of the paid one. It's like releasing the game twice.

It raises the hype to sell more of the paid one. It's like releasing the game twice.

It's releasing an improved version of the game for people who haven't purchased it yet and a free bonus for those who have.

A better example of a cash-in would be Skyrim Special Edition.

Thanks for a good review Maylander. I'm at the end of act 3 and am very much in agreement with you.

Stupid comment. They made a boat load of money on the first one before the EE. The EE as just because they were trying to perfect it. This company (like cdprojek) has a history of fixing bugs and issuing patches. I'm sure they will eventually have so many games they can't keep patching indefinitely but I fully expect to see several major patches over the next 6 to 18 months and possible some free additional content. I'm not sure the game formally requires an EE simply because (other than bugs) the game is generally very clean. If you compare D:OS to D:OS-EE you understand why the EE was required. D:OS really was not a great rpg (imho); but the story and writing is much much better in D:OS-2.

Btw they were still supporting DD (the first one) more than 10 years after release.
-
Personally I would like to see DD in D:OS (D:OS-2) engine.

Stupid comment. They made a boat load of money on the first one before the EE. The EE as just because they were trying to perfect it. This company (like cdprojek) has a history of fixing bugs and issuing patches. I'm sure they will eventually have so many games they can't keep patching indefinitely but I fully expect to see several major patches over the next 6 to 18 months and possible some free additional content. I'm not sure the game formally requires an EE simply because (other than bugs) the game is generally very clean. If you compare D:OS to D:OS-EE you understand why the EE was required. D:OS really was not a great rpg (imho); but the story and writing is much much better in D:OS-2.

Btw they were still supporting DD (the first one) more than 10 years after release.
-
Personally I would like to see DD in D:OS (D:OS-2) engine.

Stupid response. You seem to be a fan of mine though so I'm not surprised.

Not to start a pissing war with you but you said something that was incredibly insulting; after they invested a huge amount of effort - not that you particularly care. I think you should show a little respect when a company makes an honest effort to support their products.

Stupid response. You seem to be a fan of mine though so I'm not surprised.

Not to start a pissing war with you but you said something that was incredibly insulting; after they invested a huge amount of effort - not that you particularly care. I think you should show a little respect when a company makes an honest effort to support their products.

You should show a little respect with your response g. I wasn't trying to insult anyone.

I'm fine with devs supporting games but let's not act like it's not also a smart business decision.

What Larian did isn't comparable to what companies like Bethesda or BioWare do. That's probably why some people have an issue with it being called a cash-in.

They've never nickel-and-dimed us with a bunch of overpriced DLC or forced gamers to purchase all the DLC in order to get the EE version of their game.

I didn't say they did. But an EE, Legendary Edition, Super Improved Awesome edition is not just from the goodness's of devs hearts, no matter how respected the developer is. It's also a business plan for releasing the game twice.

I didn't say it's a terrible thing and saying it's a cash in does not make it a slur. It's a basic part of the business now. Everyone does it.

Back
Top Bottom