Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Farflame spotted two reviews for Spellforce 3:

The Koalition: Score: 84%

OnlySP:

Spellforce 3 Review
[...]

Not all games are going to be winners, just as not all games will be losers. Some raise the bar for the industry while others lower it, and some do not move the bar at all. Spellforce 3 is one of those titles that does nothing to improve or diminish the standard. The gameplay is intricate in some areas and flat in others, the story is irrelevant, the audio is well-executed but not inventive, and the graphics are superb. The game is by no means a flop, but it is not a title people will be praising for years to come. In short, Spellforce 3 is worth a look, but not for the USD$50.00 price tag.
More information.

I liked it well enough. In fact, I'm replaying SF1 right now, and might even do SF2 afterwards.

I liked it well enough. In fact, I'm replaying SF1 right now, and might even do SF2 afterwards.

I am doing the same. Playing SF3 and SF1 together. Its nice to see the the connections. Is there a tome of history of the game world somewhere? Maybe in the CE?

Sadly i had several minor story bugs in SF3. Thats the reason i am not going "full throttle" at it; there is a chance that a nearing patch fixes some of those problems..

I never could into any of the Spellforce games when I tried, they didn't feel like poor games, but not engaging either. The only game I've played that really successfully mixes several genres is Space Rangers 2 (although the RTS part is only fun about two missions).

Edit: Actually, King Arthur tRPWG did it well enough too, that's a franchise I would have liked to see continue.

I am doing the same. Playing SF3 and SF1 together. Its nice to see the the connections. Is there a tome of history of the game world somewhere? Maybe in the CE?

Sadly i had several minor story bugs in SF3. Thats the reason i am not going "full throttle" at it; there is a chance that a nearing patch fixes some of those problems..
I haven't found one, which is actually why I felt a need to play through SF1 again after playing SF3. I agree the references are nice, and it seems several of the people we meet in SF1 became the original Circle (not just Rohen). Very interesting.

Is SF3 actually better than sf1 or sf2 ?

Cant say yet, just too early in the game (SF3), but SF1 will always have a special place in my heart.
SF2 was quite a "dumbed down" version of the first. But i guess today, where we got used to less complex games, it should play quite okay.

Is SF3 actually better than sf1 or sf2 ?

Hard to say. It certainly flattens the other two in terms of production values, as SF1 in particular has horrible dialogues etc. In terms of being an RPG, it's similar in quality, but the strategic elements are below SF1 or 2 in my opinion.

So yeah, hard to say. Depends on the player I guess. For me, it's a good addition to the series and that's about it.

Hard to say. It certainly flattens the other two in terms of production values, as SF1 in particular has horrible dialogues etc.

Really? I only played the german language version but those dialogs were really well produced. The same btw. for the new SF3, which sounds like a well done audiobook in the dialogs.

I've only played the first two - but they never really worked for me. They both seemed like too little RTS and too little RPG for my tastes.

I still enjoy the concept - but it's one that's quite hard to execute.

Really? I only played the german language version but those dialogs were really well produced. The same btw. for the new SF3, which sounds like a well done audiobook in the dialogs.

Yeah, SF2 isn't too bad, but SF1 has horrible English dialogues. Not the pronunciation, but the way it's performed - it's like a constant parody. It's a hair away from "RIGHT HO! *I* WILL FETCH THE SHADOW BLADE AND KILL THE FIAL DARG TO SAVE US ALL!".

Yeah, SF2 isn't too bad, but SF1 has horrible English dialogues. Not the pronunciation, but the way it's performed - it's like a constant parody. It's a hair away from "RIGHT HO! *I* WILL FETCH THE SHADOW BLADE AND KILL THE FIAL DARG TO SAVE US ALL!".

Haha, MM6 comes to mind.. "Pick ME!" ;)

The problem with games that mix genres is that it affects people like me, who are good enough in one of the genre but sucks at the other. I suck badly at RTS, so when the RTS section comes, if it's harder than grab-select a bunch of units and send them forward, I'll probably lose. Having a single difficulty setting would kill the game for me, as I would like the RPG part challenging but the RTS part trivial. So I just don't bother with these games.

Back
Top Bottom