My KOTOR/KOTOR 2 FAQs

Graeme

Synthetics!
Hi,

Thought I'd post my KOTOR FAQs here. I mean, why not? ;)

Original post: http://forums.filefront.com/sw-kotor-problems-errors-help/404752-little-faq.html
KOTOR I said:
This is just a little KotOR FAQ I wrote, as I was messing around. I’ve just done the questions that have been asked recently, so my apologies if your questions isn’t answered in here. Thought it’d prove useful to some new people, I guess (although some have been answered already, I guess). And of course, feel free to point me on any mistakes, as I'm just a human!
smilie.gif

My game keeps crashing at the Endar Spire. Is there any possible solution to it?
Yeah, there is a solution. However, this does not guarantee it works, specifically on your computer. Personally I’m using Windows XP at the moment, and I’ve found out that my random crashes and game crash at the Endar Spire was solved by doing the following thing.
Open up your “swkotor.ini” file, which is in the main directory of your game (C:/Program Files/LucasArts/SwKotOR/swkotor(.ini)). Then, scroll down until you spot “[Graphics Options]”. Open a new line and write this without quotation marks: “Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1”. Then save your file and it should work. This had stopped all my game crashes at once. Visual, however, I didn’t notice any changes. That could be just me though. This is also proved to be the solution to the major Dantooine FPS problems.

How do I install my mods?
Usually, the modifications contain a README. If that would not be the case, follow these steps. First, download the modification you’d like to use. Once the download is complete, extract the files to a temporary location (ie. Your desktop). Depending on whether the modification is using a TSLPatcher or simply manual files, you’ll have to approach a different method.

• TSLPatcher method:
If your modification contains a TSLPatcher, the installation will be rather simple. Open up the executable file and follow the instructions. A pop-up will appear and you should choose the main directory of your game, which should be by default (C:/Program Files/LucasArts/SwKotOR). The files should be installed automatically and you’re all ready to play.

• Manual installation:
The manual installation is not much harder, actually. Extract your downloaded mod to a temporary location, such as your desktop. Open up the *.zip/*.rar and once again, a README should be in there. If it isn’t the case, try to do the following.
The mod files should usually go into your OVERRIDE folder, which should be by default (C:/Program Files/LucasArts/SwKotOR/Override). In some cases, such as movie-mods, the files should go into the corresponding folder (ie. Modules folder).

As you can see, the installation of modifications is quite simple once you know what to do.

How do I enable cheats and use them?
You can enable cheats by going to your “swkotor.ini” file, which is by default (C:/Program Files/LucasArts/SwKotOR/swkotor(.ini)). Open the file and scroll down until you see the category “[Game Options]”. Open a new line and enter the following without quotation marks: “EnableCheats=1”. Save the file and start your game. Once you’re in-game, you can use cheats by pressing the “`“ / “~“ symbol, which is above your “TAB” key. You should see the console at the top-left corner of your screen. However, it depends on your keyboard setting which key you should use to open the cheat console.

I would like to start modding. Any tutorials and tools I could use?
Yes, of course. You can view some nice tutorials HERE and HERE. If you’d like to use the tools, you can download them on HERE.

Is it allowed to port models and the such?
No, it is not allowed to port the models of KOTOR II: TSL to KOTOR. It is considered illegal by the developers of the game. Discussions, requests (and the such) on these forums isn’t allowed either.

Is my graphical card supported by the game?
You can view this information at the helpdesk of LucasArts, known as “Yoda’s Help Desk”. LucasArts.com | Yoda's Help Desk

I cannot seem to reinstall my game, probably because InstallShield is 'bugged'.
Yes, in this case, your InstallShield is probably bugged with entries and files of previous installations. This problem also occurs if an installation has been cancelled. This is not always, though. In order to successsfully re-install your game, try to do the following.
Open up 'My Computer' and make sure you can view all files/folders. Go to your [C:] hard drive and open 'Program Files'. An InstallShield folder should be visible. There, find the folder with the following name. "{2A9A40C7-6670-4D5F-8F41-D12E2E08B48B}". Delete that file. Watch out, though. Some files have a similar name, so be careful please. To be even more certain of your actions, try deleting your Temp folder, seeing as they could contain InstallShield files still, located here (C:/WINDOWS/Temp).

I seem to crash a lot and none of these solutions help. I'm using Windows Vista. What should I do?

You're most likely missing the mss32.dll file. You can download it HERE (credits to azariel123 for providing a link in another thread).
Original post: http://forums.filefront.com/sw-kotor2-problems-errors-help/405269-kotor-ii-faq.html#post4972349
KOTOR II said:
Well, I thought I'd make a KOTOR II FAQ. And seeing as I'm doing nothing right now, I thought I'd write this one now. The previous FAQ was rather general, and more related to KOTOR 1 and basic modding questions. Some might have been answered already. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here.

This question has been copy-pasted and slightly modified, as the answer would be similar in both games.
How do I install my mods?
Usually, the modifications contain a README. If that would not be the case, follow these steps. First, download the modification you’d like to use. Once the download is complete, extract the files to a temporary location (ie. Your desktop). Depending on whether the modification is using a TSLPatcher or simply manual files, you’ll have to approach a different method.

• TSLPatcher method:
If your modification contains a TSLPatcher, the installation will be rather simple. Open up the executable file and follow the instructions. A pop-up will appear and you should choose the main directory of your game, which should be by default (C:/Program Files/LucasArts/SwKotOR2). The files should be installed automatically and you’re all ready to play.

• Manual installation:
The manual installation is not much harder, actually. Extract your downloaded mod to a temporary location, such as your desktop. Open up the *.zip/*.rar and once again, a README should be in there. If it isn’t the case, try to do the following.
The mod files should usually go into your OVERRIDE folder, which should be by default (C:/Program Files/LucasArts/SwKotOR2/Override). In some cases, such as movie-mods, the files should go into the corresponding folder (ie. Modules folder).

As you can see, the installation of modifications is quite simple once you know what to do.

What do I need to do if the TSLPatcher is being used to install some of my downloaded mods, whilst I have my .2da files in a folder in override?

Just to avoid any errors, it's best to move your .2da files to your main override folder, and not a folder within. That should solve your problems.

It seems my game crashes many times at a certain point in-game. However, I do have loads of modifications installed. I'm not sure if they're compatible. Any suggestion?
My suggestion would be to use the handy management tool, known as the "Kotor Mod Manager". It keeps your mods in-check and warns you whenever a file is about to be replaced, or conflicts. You can download the KOTOR Mod Manager HERE.

Several of my mods seem to use the global.jrl file (which is the journal). How can I ensure the compatibility of these?

Best would be to use the tool, entitled as "JRL Merger". It's rather easy to use, and it ensures compatibility to your journal file (if done correctly). You'll need the unaltered .jrl file, and the two different/modified ones. It will merge them into a new .jrl file, which includes the changes of all. Simply extract the new .jrl file into your override once the merge is over. You can download the JRL Merger HERE.

I'm using Windows Vista and I keep getting error messages. I do not have any fixes installed, however. How could I possibly fix this?

Fortunately, a Windows Vista fix has been provided for KOTOR II. This should solve your general starting/restarting with Vista. You can get the Windows Vista fix here. TSL Windows Vista Fix, Knights of the Old Republic 2 Downloads, Knights of the Old Republic 2 Patches

I am experiencing a severe amount of FPS downage whenever I'm visiting Dantooine. How would I solve this problem?
This problem should be fixed easily. At least, it helped my issues most definitely. Your game installation should have a file called "swkotor2.ini". Open that file with notepad or any other text-editing program. Scroll down to the header called "[Graphics Options]" and open a new line. You should add the following: "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1". After you've done that, simply save your changes and start your game. This should solve your lag-problem on Dantooine and possible crashes.

How can I enable cheats in KOTOR II?

It's pretty similar to the method of KOTOR. Go to your main game folder, which should be by default (C:/Program Files/LucasArts/SwKotOR2) and open up the "swkotor2.ini" file. Locate the header "[Game Options]" and open a new line. Add the following to it: "EnableCheats=1", save your changes and go in-game. Press the "`/~" button and it should open the cheat console. However, the cheat console will not be visible in KOTOR II, unlike KOTOR.

I intend to mod this game very soon, but I'm new to it. Are there any tutorials available that could help me out?

Yes, of course. Some nice tutorials can be viewed HERE and HERE.
But of course, you'd also need modding tools if you are ever to make mods yourself. You can view a collection of modding tools HERE.

Is my video card supported or not?

View a list of supported video cards here. LucasArts.com | Yoda's Help Desk
And a list of unsupported ones.
LucasArts.com | Yoda's Help Desk

Everytime I enter the Telos Hidden Academy, I seem to get a [CHEAT NODE] issue after talking to the handmaidens. How can I fix this?

If you have a savegame before entering the academy, you should load it. Once you have, you should speak to the Handmaidens you encounter instantly. When they ask you to drop your weapons, don't choose that option immediately. Ask them who they are first. If you drop your weapons immediately without asking them who they are, you'll activate the cheat node.

The second thing is yet another solution, which would help if you don't have a savegame before entering the academy (and an easy option to those who are familiar with the Kotor Savegame Editor). Open up KSE. Should you not have it, you can download it HERE. Then, all you have to do is set the global variable "262TEL_Atton_Talk", to "1".
(Darth333's screenshot).
glob.jpg
I hope this helps those who have encountered some SWKOTOR 2 problems. This list will be updated regularly. Have fun!
smilie.gif

Back
Top Bottom