Wasteland 2 - Early Access on Steam

Well, depending if you include the wind\humidity factor (or rather what the temperature ''Feels like'') or not the weather here normally does go to -40 celcius a few times during winter.... For example it felt like -35 (-31f) this morning but was actually -32.

Though if strictly speaking of actually going to -40 then that used to happen, but it rarely happens anymore.

Sorry for the spam, back to Wasteland!

We had minus 40's here in Edmonton a week or two ago, it's fun briefly and then not so much. Can be quite dangerous too if you're not adept at handling seriously cold weather.

As for WL 2 on early access, I have the ability again but, as usual, I'll pass. I want to enjoy the full version of the game when released, without anything beforehand. Heck, these days I usually even wait for a patch or 3 before exploring a new release!!

As for WL 2 on early access, I have the ability again but, as usual, I'll pass. I want to enjoy the full version of the game when released, without anything beforehand. Heck, these days I usually even wait for a patch or 3 before exploring a new release!!

I actually enjoy "Demo"-Early Access games more than Early Access games for sandbox games. Or full stories.

For me it is more like a teaser but I don't play the game to it's death.
Instead I take the experience to "prepare" myself for the actual release, like ideal party contruction. At release it will be fun in the first part to see how it changed, and when it starts to get boring, the demo area is done, and you get fresh content.

I don't have anything against Early Access, but I don't see how a $60 price tag is justified here.

I suspect it was partly an attempt to keep the volume/quality of feedback manageable. Considering it's been the second list of the top selling games on steam for a few days now, I'm not sure how well that might of worked. Then again, based on the quality and tone of a great deal of the complaints by non game owners on the steam forums - those who are practically frothing at the mouth over the price as to those demanding a free demo of the beta be released now - I would say the price point may have at least protected the quality of the feedback they'll be getting from people testing it just a little. Probably just a little easier to parse bug reports when you don't have to filter out quite so much of the crazy.

Not that the crazy frothing-mad rants are exclusive to people who have't paid above that price point either.

Last edited:
If they can charge $60 for early access and enough people are prepared to pay it, then it's worth $60, simple as that.

Wasteland 2 was never meant to be a mass market project, but if they have managed to come up with a successful marketing strategy for games that aren't glitzy first person shooters *and* the game is good, then that's going to change the PC gaming industry; which is all to the good.

Brian Fargo is walking on water right now, lets hope he doesn't sink.

At least part of the pricing point of $60 was to ensure Kickstarter backers didn't pay more than Steam early access.

Yub, the cheapest tier in the Kickstarter campaign to get in the beta was 55$, offering:
and premiere access to an early playable beta on steam

Yub, the cheapest tier in the Kickstarter campaign to get in the beta was 55$, offering:
and premiere access to an early playable beta on steam

That alone perfectly justifies the price. Although any backer could get access for as little as 30$ I believe (15$ was the minimum to get a digital copy, and a couple of weeks ago they announced that you could purchase the early access as an add-on for 15$ or so).

I keep lurking on their forum to get SOME informatin on the state of the game, but it hurts more than it helps. I want this game...now. But I want it to be finished first. And that will probably take a couple of months more I'm afraid.

Anyone want to speculate on the release date? Late february?

I only checked in like 10 Minutes into the beta yet (pledged on KS) but I'd say it is highly unlikely that it's already to be released in february.

I mean the game still feels so unpolished, that I'd take a couple of months for polishing alone. And then they also wrote (as far as I remember) that the rest of the world is not completely built yet and will be done according to the beta feedback.
So everything earlier than Summer 2014 would surprise me. With Fall or Christmas you are probably on the safe side.

Just a few snippers from the update I based my opinion on:

So fear not, as there will be more strange areas to discover in the final, and we will be dropping more in throughout this beta phase. In addition, we’ll be adding more quests to each map as well.

A number of skills are not implemented in the backer beta, namely, Silent Move, Salvaging, Animal Whisperer, the backer informational skill and, quite ironically, Combat Shooting (ironic if you are familiar with Wasteland 1). You’ll run into a few situations where you could use those skills and we’ll work to balance and roll them out later, but the vast majority of skills are in so you'll be able to try most possible solutions. The character system is complete but not necessarily fully balanced, many XP rewards and upgrade values will still be tweaked.

All the game's major systems are now implemented, which allows us to expedite the amount of depth, fun and subtlety that gets in, but this is an ambitious game both in terms of scale and the amount of reactivity we have planned

We all know that the heart and soul of a good RPG is having the player’s actions have consequence, and this is a major focus for us. We have a team of programmers that handle all the scripting for the maps, and most of their efforts at this point involve making pass after pass, adding in more depth to what we already have. This is a combination of adding more places to use skills, more ways to work around situations, and a greater degree of meaningful effect based on what the player has chosen to do. We also need add a greater connectivity between the maps, so your decisions have ripple effects in other areas of the Wasteland.

We are still weak in the ambient sound area and we know how important sound is for setting the mood and connecting you to the world. In addition, we need more sounds for messaging player successes or failures

The beta is launching only for Windows PC initially. We’ll look into launching Mac and Linux versions soon, but they will need more testing before we feel secure in doing so.

Story driven rpgs are the only ones a replay. Extra choices are nice, but really what I'm going for is having the same feeling I had the first time. Its like rewatching a movie or rereading a book

Yep, I was gathering the impression that this seems to need quite a bit of work yet.
At least the general feeling that I get seems to be quite a bit positive (?) ...

I only checked in like 10 Minutes into the beta yet (pledged on KS) but I'd say it is highly unlikely that it's already to be released in february.

I mean the game still feels so unpolished, that I'd take a couple of months for polishing alone. And then they also wrote (as far as I remember) that the rest of the world is not completely built yet and will be done according to the beta feedback.
So everything earlier than Summer 2014 would surprise me. With Fall or Christmas you are probably on the safe side.

I was afraid someone would say that… Well then, I'll just go into hibernation or something. Or maybe even play the early access version? But I've already spent 30$ on the kickstarter, 60$ just to play the unfinished product I already bought might be a bit over the top… *sigh*

Last edited:
Yep, I was gathering the impression that this seems to need quite a bit of work yet.
At least the general feeling that I get seems to be quite a bit positive (?) …

I've actually not heard anyone calling it anything less than great. The issues I've read on the forums are all bug and/or balance related, the core game seems to please just about everyone that tries it. Although I would guess the ones that do try it are the ones interested in these kind of games.

Well, it really depends on what you are looking for.
But honestly if you want to play it for "fun" I would really rather wait. It has not reached the status of an Might and Magic early access at the moment.

Just looked into the game for about an hour now, but it's really, really unpolished. It has it's reasons they call it an "early beta" - this isn't a promotion beta like with Might and Magic.

With about every second or third thing you do, you encounter something which does not work right. Beginning with the character creation, where some explanation windows might pop up and only go away if you enter the same menu and hover over the same thing which caused it. You select a portrait and it is not saved.
Then you go in the game and check your inventory. The stuff you are wearing is actually not there. In the character creation you can select that your character wears an vest for example. In the game he is wearing this west, but it is an item with a graphic, no description and the icon he is wearing might be just a flask.
I also found a machete, which, when I moved it to other characters and equipped it, duped itself. The mouse controls are not fluent and it "swims".
The list goes on.
Personally I am going to wait for at least 1-2 months until I will play through the early access version.

If your primary goal is to help development, play it and give feedback. If your primary goal is to have fun - you should really wait for some months.

I like what I see so far and I am not disappointed. But that doesn't mean I am obliged to play it and "have fun" at this point.
I pledged for the CE on Kickstarter. That I am able to play the beta is a mere circumstance.

With about every second or third thing you do, you encounter something which does not work right. The stuff you are wearing is actually not there. In the character creation you can select that your character wears an vest for example. In the game he is wearing this west, but it is an item with a graphic, no description and the icon he is wearing might be just a flask.
The mouse controls are not fluent and it "swims".

Well...that sounds pretty fun? And I DO want to help with development, the question if if I want to do it at the cost of my own experience of the finished game?

Back
Top Bottom