The Outer Worlds Reviews

Anyone find any easter eggs yet? I noticed a pretty cool one.

On The Groundbreaker, there's a bounty quest called 'Who Goes There?' where you're hunting a guy named Gunnar MacRedd.

It's an homage to John Carpenter's 'The Thing' which was based on a novella called 'Who Goes There?' and in which one of the main characters was named MacReady (played by Kurt Russell in the film.)
Yeah, that's pretty cool. The MacRedd part slipped past me!
There's a heap of classic SF references throughout the game. I should have written them down as I found them, but I just did the "Why call them back from retirement?" quest, which I think is a reference to Simak's Why Call Them Back From Heaven?.

I got a few in game but tend not to go out of my way, if they are not obvious to me then they clearly aren't for me!

Really enjoyed TOW, 7.5/10 to give it a rating, not quite up there with FNV etc but a great way to spend 30 hours.

Looks dull as hell. Recycled FO with SJW's in space.

I've not read many posts genuinely excited about it, just a "meh", "it's ok kinda good" posts which translate as "it's bland, boring, crap but I like these type of games and would like another good Fallout one day"

This is a FNV/Borderlands step-child. I like it way more than I anticipated. I'm probably over the 100 hour mark by now. I'm not really trying to finish the story as I find anti-corporatism overdone.

What the hell are you doing for 100 hours? :D

And btw. you can work for the big bad corporaration in the main quest. Perhaps you'll like that more.

Looks dull as hell. Recycled FO with SJW's in space.

I've not read many posts genuinely excited about it, just a "meh", "it's ok kinda good" posts which translate as "it's bland, boring, crap but I like these type of games and would like another good Fallout one day"

"SJW's in space" translation: I noticed somebody in a gameplay video giving two shits about another person and/or their feelings and it threatens me.

"SJW's in space" translation: I noticed somebody in a gameplay video giving two shits about another person and/or their feelings and it threatens me.

Expression of feelings doesn't bother me, hell it's healthy, it's the plethora of boy-women it contains. I prefer games where women are womanly.

What does that even mean?
Bioshock3 goddess that can do anything on her own yet sits and waits for a dick in a prison she can escape from any time?

There's people who have issues with the whole "strong woman" vs. "incompetent but powerful man" thing, they think the game is pushing.

The real issue is that most "company" NPCs are indeed portrayed as incredibly incompetent. (And, hence, siding with the board becomes undesirable to players) But if you want this to be about gender, go ahead ... ;)

Not necessarily agreeing with him, but I do think it's odd that almost every woman in TOW looks somewhat butch.

It didn't affect my enjoyment of the game, but it was impossible not to notice.

Maybe it's just hard to fit long hair into a pressure helmet…? (kidding. :p)

Well simple answer is Obsidian is incompetent with Hair FX.:p

Just look at Piranha Bytes and their fixation with the bald hero.

Then again not all games use Hair or Fur FX like Witcher III.:biggrin:

The real issue is that most "company" NPCs are indeed portrayed as incredibly incompetent. (And, hence, siding with the board becomes undesirable to players) But if you want this to be about gender, go ahead … ;)

Not only incompetent, but also petty, exploitative bureaucrats. I was actually pretty surprised to find that a bunch of main missions are tied to siding with the Board...there's no good reason to do so, other than to see content. I like the satirical approach, but it does not make for a tough choice when whats-her-name approaches you, that's for sure.

Imho the women in TOW are womanly. Who do you think is not?

I've not played the game yet mate, but nearly every screen or clip I've seen of it shows the lasses to be short-haired, boy-looking types with a leanings towards michismo. It's no massive deal, but it does draw me out of games.

I find it way harder to get immersed in something which is always provoking my senses with a bit of "that's off".

Somewhat the opposite myself. Seeing all the lipstick high-fashion model females with perfect hair, bouncy breasts, and plastic -perfect features tends to be very immersion breaking for me (EDIT: in any game I mean). Not mention high heels and/or skimpy clothes. Not a lot of super models living the rough life. Thought the characters were fine in Outer World, both genders. No one was super handsome/pretty/exceptional although I did think Parvarti was rather cute in many ways. My favorite character was Ellie - had her through everything.

I've not played the game yet mate, but nearly every screen or clip I've seen of it shows the lasses to be short-haired, boy-looking types with a leanings towards michismo. It's no massive deal, but it does draw me out of games.

I find it way harder to get immersed in something which is always provoking my senses with a bit of "that's off".
So it's not yet another case of the horrible hair in videogames but the hairdo.
Man… Ever had a long hair? Yes? Ever a bug or a bat got stuck in there? Ever tried to pass through bushes with it?
Shorts are practical for adventuring types.

Apart from that I saw no boylooking anywhere in the whole game. In fact, were there any kids in it? I don't remember seen any.

My favorite was Nyoka. Of course not because of her looks, who cares about that. I loved her dirty thoughts and evil tongue. Her character. :)

Back
Top Bottom