The "I Just Bought" thread

I never owned a Packard Bell system, yet I remember hearing the vivid complaints about them. When I did need a new computer at least I knew where not to look!

Compaq was also quite the thing in the 90s and early 2000s. But I never really bought from either Packard Bell or Compaq. Back then I assembled the PC parts, which wasn't always easy because not everything worked together despite being compatible on paper.

I think the best desktop formula remains little series assembled by part vendors. They know quite well which parts are good and not too expensive, and they're efficient and reliable because they need to or they lose money.

Laptops remain a more difficult domain. Lenovo was good until recently (except the support), now I'm not sure anymore.

It's always been changing anyway. Each new PC or laptop is a rediscovery of the computer landscape for me.

Hey if it's any consolation, Dell sucks when you're a massive corporation too :D I typically buy a couple million dollars of Dell products every year and they're always late or they are out of stock or they lose your order, etc. They have some decent stuff; it's just actually getting your hands on it that's the problem.

No idea why the Executive leaders stick with them. Michael Dell must own a shitload of our stock!

Compaq was also quite the thing in the 90s and early 2000s. But I never really bought from either Packard Bell or Compaq. Back then I assembled the PC parts, which wasn't always easy because not everything worked together despite being compatible on paper.

The first PC I purchased on my own was a Compaq. It had a 300 mhz Pentium II and some crappy integrated graphics chip. ATI Rage iirc. I later got a Voodoo II add-on card and that worked pretty well for a few years. I've built my own rigs ever since.

Hey if it's any consolation, Dell sucks when you're a massive corporation too :D
They had their ups and downs, from what I saw, but the recent experience I had in a small company was rather positive. And for once I was impressed by the support they provided on servers. But it's possible I was lucky when it happened and had the one smart guy around.

The first PC I purchased on my own was a Compaq. It had a 300 mhz Pentium II and some crappy integrated graphics chip. ATI Rage iirc. I later got a Voodoo II add-on card and that worked pretty well for a few years. I've built my own rigs ever since.
I would have sold my soul for a Voodoo II back then. Nowhere to be found here (was cryptocurrency already an excuse?). And ATI... has always been ATI ;) I only had a very few, but each was a bad to average experience.

Little follow-up on my recent experience with Dell.

Since their online platform is not secure enough for the VISA provider and does not allow the user's signature, after many calls they finally provided me with an account for a wire transfer, which is their other payment option. (I suspect their system works in France where bank security is only a vague notion they heard about in foreign movies).

I transferred the money and sent the receipt as per their instruction to "speed up" the validation. One week later after many attempts to contact them, I was told it wasn't validated yet (they only have to look at a list of wire transfers…). And by that time the laptop was out of stock, next batch end of July.

Ordered a Lenovo elsewhere yesterday evening, got it this morning, without any hassle or problem. I'm cancelling my order with Dell and that's the last time I do business with them.

Obviously, I won't recommend them.

I bought this weight bench a couple months ago, and I have to say - it's pretty nice. Staying on a fitness regimen can be tough, so having comfortable and quality equipment can really make a difference when it comes to keeping motivation up.

I've owned many benches over the years, from cheap to expensive, and this bench has been the best buy in my opinion.

I was going to get a cheap one, but I spent a little more and gave it a try (130.00). It's already assembled, you just unfold it. While that seems like it may not be a big deal, like "how hard is a bench to assemble?" - that's not the point. The point is that it's already assembled by the manufacturer, and as such it's in a state of permanance. It's sturdy, well made, and secure. It's not going to loosen up, have to be re-tightened regularly, etc. And if I move, or simply want to get it out of sight, simply fold it back up flat and it's good to go.

I've been using it for my regular workout routine, and it's comfortable and able to fit my 6'-0 frame perfectly. Spend the extra money, and skip over the el cheapo benches and invest in something that's comfortable and well-made.

My workout consists of dumbells, and this is perfect for that. If you need a barbell rack, you'd have to score one of those separately, from a different manufacturer. This is just a bench.

Flybird weight bench

Attachments

• flybird.JPG
    flybird.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 57
OK, so related to Dell ... I have been frustrated with crappy performance on new Win 10 laptops for things like Arcanum and Divine Divinity, so I pulled out an old Dell Inspiron 8500 (2002/3?) that I had let the kids use in middle school / high school so has been sitting in a box in the basement for the last ~10 years.

I had to buy a new battery and a USB WiFi adapter - but now it is up and running, has a solid Intel P4 and a GeForce mobile graphics card and is really a pretty solid machine (gets hot as F and not really 'lap friendly' but hey ... :D )

Nice job, re-purposing an older piece of hardware like that. I used to keep old systems around like that, you'll never know when that flavour of bubblegum just might come back into style! I don't do that anymore, yet the memories are great.

@xSamhainx; That looks pretty solid.

I purchased some stuff for my garage last summer when everything was locked down and I couldn't go to the gym. The prices for weights and equipment at the time were outrageous, but I got lucky when a buddy of mine sold me his setup because he was moving.

Attachments

• 92828211_10216408748519826_3553923057611440128_n.jpg
    92828211_10216408748519826_3553923057611440128_n.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 92867746_10216408748999838_9100109881368641536_n.jpg
    92867746_10216408748999838_9100109881368641536_n.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 50
  • 93407165_10216408749399848_2645839827320176640_n.jpg
    93407165_10216408749399848_2645839827320176640_n.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 48
@xSamhainx; That looks pretty solid.

I purchased some stuff for my garage last summer when everything was locked down and I couldn't go to the gym. The prices for weights and equipment at the time were outrageous, but I got lucky when a buddy of mine sold me his setup because he was moving.

Nice setup. I've also had the basics of a home gym (half-rack, olympic barbell, dumbbells, bands) before the pandemic, but I really exagerated with getting that complete during the pandemic. I got myself a concept 2 rower, an improvised pulley system for lat pulldowns, olympic rings, paralletes, kettlebells, etc

And, I've not really used them in 2 months or so. But I did manage to put on the pounds by comfort eating. :(

And, I've not really used them in 2 months or so.

I haven't used any of it since my gym reopened. There's no point since the equipment at the gym is superior and there's a hell of a lot more stuff. Plus, like most homes here, the AC system doesn't extend to the garage, so it's like trying to work out in a sauna most of the year.

I'll probably sell it soon to make more room. As it is right now, I can still fit my car in the garage but not my truck, and I'd like to have that option again. I'll easily get more than double what I paid for it.

I haven't used any of it since my gym reopened. There's no point since the equipment at the gym is superior and there's a hell of a lot more stuff. Plus, like most homes here, the AC system doesn't extend to the garage, so it's like trying to work out in a sauna most of the year.

I'll probably sell it soon to make more room. As it is right now, I can still fit my car in the garage but not my truck, and I'd like to have that option again. I'll easily get more than double what I paid for it.

I'm no fan of going to the gym. Not at all. It's probably my last option, before many others, like just doing calisthenics.

Just the time alone to and from is a lot of time wasted.
Then, I also don't need to feel self-conscious about what I'm doing, and who's looking. I also don't like the "meat-head" attitude of some gym goers. Or other gym goers that like to use the gym as a place to pickup girls.
Then I don't like to have to watch who's using what device, and if the one I have planned is in use, switch stuff around.
Then there's all sorts of weirdos I need to look out for. Or just people being overly friendly and wanting to chit-chat.
Then I would need to use headphones to either listen to my own music, or if I just want a more meditative session with no noise at all.
Even before the pandemic, gyms are often a center for germs and all sorts of diseases.

Of course, all of the above is personal to me. Others might not have issues with some of them, I expect. And that's fine. To each his own. I don't lack the self-aware that some of the above might make me out to be paranoid or just anti-social.

For me the only downside of a gym are a few machines which are indeed pretty cool, and very hard to replicate at home. For ex, a lowerback hyperextension machine is one I'd love to have. And probably others.

The sum of it all. I'm jk of course, but I had to mess with you a little after that. :)

Fair enough. But seriously, the time itself wasted should be enough of a reason. If it takes you 30 mins to and 30 mins back, I can pretty much finish half of my workout in that time.

Fair enough. But seriously, the time itself wasted should be enough of a reason. If it takes you 30 mins to and 30 mins back, I can pretty much finish half of my workout in that time.

It depends what your goals are, how you can achieve them, and how important they are to you.

Let's not derail the thread any further with this though. Start a thread about working out if you want to continue this topic.

broscience-doyouevenlift_891b8f_4320288-620x206.jpg

:p

Back
Top Bottom