Nextgen CPUs

Sadly I need a board with a bit more pizza than most game boards. Won't go into details around my requirements other than to say asrock has a nice board for intel but no one seems to be offering the right feature set for amd yet.

This is indeed true. I'm still using Xeon based systems for my personal server needs. Because of good establishment in enterprise hardware, that's carried over into desktop features. I think there's a lot of people a lot more willing to consider AMD hardware now, but ECC support, power consumption, and overall Linux stability definitely favors Intel. And with a huge flood of cheap Intel server hardware, it's hard for most people to justify AMD. I'm hoping this new traction gives us more options in the next few years.

Ironically, i'm seeing a lot of hardcore Unraid/Plex supporters considering the high core AMD variants, since it doesn't rely as much on ECC as something using ZFS would, but losing a copy of Jaws 2 isn't as critical for most people.

Yea I run a large raid set with zfs; I don't strickly require ecc but the rest has to be rock sable. I've wasted too many hours on flakey boards that fall apart on high i/o load.

This is indeed true. I'm still using Xeon based systems for my personal server needs. Because of good establishment in enterprise hardware, that's carried over into desktop features. I think there's a lot of people a lot more willing to consider AMD hardware now, but ECC support, power consumption, and overall Linux stability definitely favors Intel. And with a huge flood of cheap Intel server hardware, it's hard for most people to justify AMD. I'm hoping this new traction gives us more options in the next few years.

Ironically, i'm seeing a lot of hardcore Unraid/Plex supporters considering the high core AMD variants, since it doesn't rely as much on ECC as something using ZFS would, but losing a copy of Jaws 2 isn't as critical for most people.

CPU don't really excite me these days; mostly chipsets and gpu i find interesting. Its been a long time since a middle range cpu has been a limiting factor for my applications.

So is anyone else excited for the ryzen 3000 release. First time I’ve been excited about an AMD proc since the athlon 64. I might finally have a decent upgrade path from my 5930k. I’ll be looking forward to real world gaming benchmarks.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-and-ryzen-7-3700x-cpu-benchmark-3dmark-leak/amp/

CPU don't really excite me these days; mostly chipsets and gpu i find interesting. Its been a long time since a middle range cpu has been a limiting factor for my applications.

Yeah, when it comes to gaming CPU's aren't showstoppers. They do at least allow for better scaling when a new GPU comes out.

My excitement isn't really tied up in that though. I'm excited that AMD after a long hiatus may actually bring some competition back to the CPU market in all segments not just the low end. More specifically the high end gaming market.

Now if someone could challenge Nvidia in the high end.

The big takeaway is this is good for consumers. Regardless of speeds, it means lots of cores at a low price for all types of users, whether they're gaming, streaming, home business, etc. And not just AMD, but Intel too. What I see is a lot of people are getting into the multipurpose bandwagon, in that they want to do everything on one computer. The want to play games, encode videos, host plex and Minecraft servers, create youtube content, all while working with large excel sheets, powerpoint content and whatever other stuff they need to work on at home. They want multi-cores, they don't want to be scared off by security vulnerabilities, and they want it all cheap.

The Ryzen APUs are excellent mainstream solutions. The usual question for the average consumer looking for a new desktop: "What do you want to do on it?" and they're answer is "Oh just browse the internet, watch Netflix, work on some resumes, and maybe play some games like Fortnite/GTAV/Witcher 3". Most of the time when they add that last bit in, they need to decide if they want to shell out for a GPU or gaming machine in general. You're not going to be winning any awards playing GTA or TW3 on an APU with details turned down, but at least they're no longer exempt.

I've been running my gaming rig from work PC part salvage for a while now (good salvage mind you), but with the Intel security fiascoes and promises from the new Ryzen, I decided to go all in a few months ago and get an all-AMD system up and running. I'm using a 2400g (which is more of a sidegrade, as it's basically equivalent to an early generation i7) as a placeholder now, until the best price/performance deal presents itself on the new Ryzen CPUs. I think we will be seeing a big push for multi-cores instead of single thread performance in the future, so I see the 12 core being a hot contender for the next few years.

What I am curious about still though, is motherboards. Early boards were flaky but seem to be rock solid now after they've worked out their RAM woes. However different manufacturers are saying different things about how their existing or new boards will handle the new chips, and I don't see a lot of coverage on that.

Back
Top Bottom