Dungeon Siege 3 - 75% Off On Steam

I loved 2 also, found 1 a little too clicky for my tastes. 3, I bought and played and can't remember a single thing about it, so that doesn't speak too well for it, I guess. Sometimes, I'm just not in the mood for a type of game. I'll give 3 another shot one of these days.

After seeng everything you all posted I bought the goddamned pack.
Dunno when will I find enough time to play 'em, maybe if no game gets released for a year or two.

Maybe I'm the only one in the world that liked DS 3 the best. Of the three it was the most rp'ish game. The middle one was fun (nice conotrol/camera) but not really rpg; the first sucked rotten eggs.

I rate the 2nd one as one of those odd gems. Kinda the game I would tell you about if you already played Divine Divinity and Arcanum and look for more.

The first game didn't rock my boat and I was fairly disappointed, but the 2nd game improved pretty much everything that I lacked from the first. More open. Lots of exploration, sidequests and developing companions. The expansion was a letdown though. It offered closure (the real ending) but it was let down since it went back to linear hack & slash where your companions wen't back to be henchmens, nothing more.

Dungeon Siege 3 was a very enjoyable game but it help to see it as a completely separate game from the first two. I say it's closest neighbor is Jade Empire and Dungeon Siege 3 is on many levels a better game. It's also best controlled with an XBox 360 controller so skip the mouse/keyboard if you can. Beneath the action it have a pretty good story and storytelling and quite good music as well. While it's no Baldur's Gate II it's much better than people gives it credit for. The expansion was pretty enjoyable as well.

The expansion for DS2 was atrocious. I believe that's Broken World. The expansions of the first game are on-par with the main game but if you don't like DS1 you won't like the expansion either.

With the first one I was actually intrigued with the LAN capability. But I never had a second PC in the house to have a friend play on, now I no longer have interested friends but I'm suffocating in spare PCs. Then again LAN modes are also no longer a staple of PC Games and there are over-the-internet co-op modes in games.

BTW, how was DS3's expansion? That's the only Dungeon Siege thing I haven't played yet.

BTW, how was DS3's expansion? That's the only Dungeon Siege thing I haven't played yet.
The DLC (Treasures of the Sun) is above average. It adds a new area to the game with it's own mystery and I found it better made than the areas in the original game. It offers about 4-5 hours of content. Nothing in it is rehashed, it's all new and well thought out. It also adds a customization system to the game that really should have been in the game from the start. . You can see my full review on the game and the dlc here.

Last edited:
DS1 makes a great screen saver. I was one of those that bought the game with the anticipation of the U5 remake. I used to be a regular contributor to the old Horizons forums even before dropping out and eventually finding the *dot.

I would have liked DS2 had it been DS1. Its what DS1 was sorely missing, but by then it was too late. The DS1 modding tools were far more difficult to work with compared to NWN. DS could have been a much, much bigger game IMO, especially with the backing of MS.

One of the quiky things I remember about DS is it came out around the same time as XP and did an odd thing at the time: it required itself to be installed by the Admin, even though it was a MS product. It was bad sign about W2K's/XP's much hyped security...

I got bored with DS1 and though I picked up the other two on an earlier Steam sale, I haven't got around to playing them.

I thought Diablo was a clickfest, just clicking your mouse on everything that moved. After playing DS1 I realized that I preferred the clickfest over the click to start combat and watch it go style that DS1 used. It just seemed so less interactive. The one thing I did like was the pack mule allowing me to carry more, as the trips back to town due to loot overload got old, though I now prefer Torchlight's pet system better.

Last edited:
I think I lasted about 15-30 minutes when I tried the first. Didn't bother with the rest.

I held out for about an hour on the first one before giving up due to boredom. That may be a record for me giving up on an RPG, I usually enjoy what I decide to purchase.

However, Ultima V was remade using Dungeon Siege I and I enjoyed that quite a bit for the 30 or whatever hours that lasted through to the end.

I held out for about an hour on the first one before giving up due to boredom. That may be a record for me giving up on an RPG, I usually enjoy what I decide to purchase.
Same here, I'm fairly sure DS1 is a record for something I actually purchased. I guess Thief 3 and Oblivion aren't far behind, though.

Playing the first one now, other than getting some warning about my OS not being compatible with the game, I'm enjoying it. Only about an hour in, so that could change.

-Carn

DS1 is possibly the most overrated RPG of all time. It almost bored me to to death. Dull story and the most generic and uninspired fantasy setting and writing imaginable this side of Eragon. To top it all off the game basically plays itself. If you have a big party and don't try to play a generalist, there is no challenge whatsoever. I never picked up 2, although i've heard it's much better game all around. I actually liked 3.

DS3 was the first game I finished on my PS3. At times I was telling myself I'm doing it to learn how to use the controller better. Overall I did find it enjoyable with the exception of the steampunkish town in which veeeery long and uneventful treks along the same path were mandatory. I'd say the game, with the nice bits of lore etc., is worth its price now at %75 off.

Back
Top Bottom