|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Shroud of the Avatar - Release Day

Default Shroud of the Avatar - Release Day

March 28th, 2018, 12:56
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Kickstart contributors should get a bonus 'dead horse' item that they can beat.
Would that be Smith?

pibbur
--
d++a63e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nRnS ++++wC-o++++wSuLB++++

1. The cat is alive! And pissed!!!
2. It's been 82 years. The cat is dead, and the stench is unbearable!!!
pibbur who is online now

pibbur who

pibbur who's Avatar
Number 14
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#21

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 3,407
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

March 28th, 2018, 15:13
Steam reviews are mixed but around here it’s universally negative. That implies people are too wrapped up in the drama to be objective. Guess I’ll give it some bake time and see some actual player videos before trying though. No walking sounds is a sign of an incomplete or buggy game for sure.
--
"For Innos!"
ToddMcF2002 is offline

ToddMcF2002

ToddMcF2002's Avatar
SasqWatch

#22

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 3,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

March 28th, 2018, 15:31
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
Steam reviews are mixed but around here its universally negative. That implies people are too wrapped up in the drama to be objective. Guess Ill give it some bake time and see some actual player videos before trying though. No walking sounds is a sign of an incomplete or buggy game for sure.
Generally steam reviews are never mixed unless the game is bad.

The walking sounds was just a way of showing how bad sound design is…balance is all over the place for instance….I was in the new user experience and had no trouble whatsoever….I could not die. I'm killing things so easily at a very low level it was boring.


I mentioned this in REDDIT and got the, well you shouldn't be playing there go somewhere esle….but the storyline stuff starts there….

The biggest thing is I just can't get my self to want to play it…I tried a few times now. Most of you know I was big on this when it came through kickstarter and then kind of dropped off over time.

At launch yesterday they just broke 500 users online….500 is such a small number.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.
rune_74 is offline

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#23

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,768
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

March 28th, 2018, 15:44
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
Steam reviews are mixed but around here it’s universally negative. That implies people are too wrapped up in the drama to be objective. Guess I’ll give it some bake time and see some actual player videos before trying though. No walking sounds is a sign of an incomplete or buggy game for sure.
Steam = whiners
Here = not quite MMOonly audience
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#24

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,165
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)

Default 

March 28th, 2018, 15:48
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
…At launch yesterday they just broke 500 users online.500 is such a small number.
How do you find this?

pibbur who is asking because he's curious. And don't know to find the data.
--
d++a63e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nRnS ++++wC-o++++wSuLB++++

1. The cat is alive! And pissed!!!
2. It's been 82 years. The cat is dead, and the stench is unbearable!!!
pibbur who is online now

pibbur who

pibbur who's Avatar
Number 14
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#25

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 3,407
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

March 28th, 2018, 16:29
So I'm hearing the solo version barely even exists? What a joke, what a horrific demise to a franchise that I used to adore.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#26

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, CA
Posts: 6,642
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

March 28th, 2018, 16:34
Luckily I dodges this bullet and didn't back it. And I won't buy and play this game before I see a screenshot of a town feeling alive in single player offiline mode. I can't believe that they're advertising this game on the actual steam store page with some rural screenhots that look as alive as the beforementioned dead horse.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#27

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,791
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

March 28th, 2018, 16:35
Originally Posted by pibbur who View Post
How do you find this?

pibbur who is asking because he's curious. And don't know to find the data.
https://steamdb.info/app/326160/graphs/
f2p in one month
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile
porcozaur is offline

porcozaur

porcozaur's Avatar
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

#28

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

March 28th, 2018, 16:42
Originally Posted by porcozaur View Post
https://steamdb.info/app/326160/graphs/
f2p in one month
They had more players when they went persistent(Real Launch) 2 years ago.

Already has a free 2 play mode now.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.
rune_74 is offline

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#29

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,768
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

March 28th, 2018, 16:43
Those figures might be correct for this turkey, but I've also found that Steamspy numbers are all over the place sometimes, in ways I find quite puzzling.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#30

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,283
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Default 

March 28th, 2018, 16:47
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Those figures might be correct for this turkey, but I've also found that Steamspy numbers are all over the place sometimes, in ways I find quite puzzling.
When I played last night I saw about 10 players in one of the starting towns….take that for what it's worth.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.
rune_74 is offline

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#31

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,768
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

March 28th, 2018, 17:23
I know one thing for certain, I'll never give this clown another dime of my money. Not to him, nor any project that he is ever remotely affiliated with, ever again. I really should have know better, I suppose.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#32

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, CA
Posts: 6,642
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

March 28th, 2018, 19:01
^ This
I backed it at the time because of him being Garriott and the promise of a single player campaign. At least the comments were somewhat entertaining every now and then
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#33

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 8,347
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

Default 

March 28th, 2018, 19:23
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I shall not be fooled again, at least not by this cretin.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#34

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, CA
Posts: 6,642
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

March 28th, 2018, 20:03
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
Generally steam reviews are never mixed unless the game is bad.
I disagree with this, I've played several games over the years that for me personally was really enbjoyable or even great. Eador:Motb and Torment:ToN comes to mind. The first I'm guessing because it was really buggy and the second because people had expectations that weren't quite fulfilled. The fact that most people who actually liked the game probably were backers in the first place so our reviews don't count probably doesn't help either.

I like to read Steam reviews before buying a game I'm unsure of, and in general I try to read both a couple of positive and a couple of negative ones to get an idea if the game is for me. The "general" score is not as interesting though, since I think the system is heavily flawed (not that I can think of a better one).
TomRon is offline

TomRon

TomRon's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#35

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,253
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

March 28th, 2018, 20:36
I find that review aggregation can be very misleading. With RottenTomatoes, for instance, a movie that receives a modestly positive review is counted as a win, and if everyone gave it 7 out of 10, it would seem like an overwhelmingly positive reception. But something that's a bit more challenging and divides opinion a little bit, with most considering it a masterpiece, but some disliking it, might be rated at 75%. I think a similar effect occurs with the thumbs up or down Steam review system.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#36

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,283
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Default 

March 28th, 2018, 20:54
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
^ This
I backed it at the time because of him being Garriott and the promise of a single player campaign. At least the comments were somewhat entertaining every now and then
I dunno Myrthos, I think you are missing an opportunity here. They could pay you for good review.

Although if you are in EU territory then you get your data mandatory transferred to another company. Or if anywhere close to Russia then handed over to Russian company.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!
Wisdom is offline

Wisdom

Wisdom's Avatar
Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#37

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,135
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

March 28th, 2018, 23:57
What a shame that the current generation will remember Garriott more for this mess than for the many great games he wrote in his youth. Past performance is no guarantee of future results…
khaight is offline

khaight

Sentinel

#38

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

March 29th, 2018, 01:32
One day I hope someone explains to me how one person, who obviously at one point understood what makes a great game and how to deliver it, absolutely forgot everything they had learned in a matter of a few years. It's like having a perfect formula, and instead of using it, just opting for chaos theory.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#39

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, CA
Posts: 6,642
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

March 29th, 2018, 04:27
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
One day I hope someone explains to me how one person, who obviously at one point understood what makes a great game and how to deliver it, absolutely forgot everything they had learned in a matter of a few years. It's like having a perfect formula, and instead of using it, just opting for chaos theory.
I have zero evidence. But my gut tells me Garriott may be in financial trouble. If he is, it would explain A LOT about why this game became so heavily focused on RTM. He bought a castle. Went to space. And did a number of other impressive and expensive things. I bet a good bit of it got chewed up "playing." At one time, Mike Tyson filed bankruptcy after commanding a net worth of 300 million. It can happen.
--
If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#40

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,660
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Shroud of the Avatar - Release Day
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:42.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch