The Fall - LDoG - Review @ Tiscali Games.cz

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Czech site Tiscali Games published a review on Silver Styles post-apocalyptic RPG The Fall - Last Days of Gaya. They gave it 80%, so they probably found it pretty good. Here´s a quote of what looks like the conclusion:
VERDIKT:
Technické zpracování a umělá inteligence sice kulhají, ale hra na druhou stranu zaujme svojí propracovaností, mnoha dobrými nápady, opravdu povedeným systém rozvoje hrdinů i obrovskou spoustou předmětů a herních možností. V její prospěch hraje i solidní lokalizace a velice příznivá cena 299 Kč.
The English version is still missing in action, as well as the add-on.
Thanks darghan!
More information.

Aaargh, how long will it take to release the English version anyway :(

Even almost-abandonware Stalker is getting released (thank God)...

Don´t hold your breath ...

Surely you don't mean that the English version will never see the light of day?

Which publisher would be interested in a two years old game?

Surely you don't mean that the English version will never see the light of day?

It won't, it's vapourware.

You can buy the German version and use the fan patch from NMA to play it in English. Fan-made translation, so no legal repercussions.

Though with Games like The Fall we should think about Plan C - it's really nothing great.

Agree. Your plan B scenario might have been the case with Gothic II: NotR :) but with The Fall it's probably more like us trying to avoid major embarassment or pursuing damage control by not making that crappy game available to more poor victims who will inevitably have to come to the conclusion that Germans are complete retards for making games like The Fall :biggrin: . Seriously, anyone who can not buy The Fall in their country may now sigh in relief for thou hath been spared great punishment.
Still feeling sorry for the EUR 9.99 that I flushed down the toilet by buying the Reloaded version of this POS *sigh*.

Oh crap! Man, this is horrible :(

Somebody should do something! Sadly, I haven't the foggiest idea...

Is the game such a POS? Wasn't that due to the overwhelming number of bugs and glitches in the older build? Or is it due to bad gameplay and poor story?

[x] Bad gameplay
[x] Bad interface
[x] Very bad party control and item management
[x] Lame trading/merchant system
[x] Still bugs despite being completely reworked for the Reloaded version
[x] Extremely horrible voice acting (that can luckily be turned off)
[x] Horrible sounds & music
[x] Terrible graphics
[x] Lame combat system
[ ] Poor story (dunno never got very far due to all of the above :) )

Wow, Moriendor. That would make it the worst game ever. Any good points? :)

What a disappointment...Oh well, at least I can look forward to The Witcher instead.

Wow, Moriendor. That would make it the worst game ever. Any good points? :)

Not that I could see but I guess it depends a bit on everyone's individual level of tolerance. I personally don't understand at all how someone can voluntarily submit themselves to Spiderweb games but yet there are people who do buy, play and enjoy these games so if you have a high level of tolerance and can live with a totally sub-par presentation and lack of polish, lack of modern features etc then you might be able to squeeze some fun out of The Fall... maybe.
I couldn't. I'm too picky. There are way too many other, better high quality games waiting in line to be played that I don't feel like wasting any of my valuable gaming time on a 3rd class game like The Fall. No way Jose.

What's supposed to be good about The Fall according to reviews, however, is the story and the factional system but I only got a few hours into the game and couldn't find the goodness up to that point. As far as I can remember, the game starts out with the mission to find some kidnapped person (your daughter, I think... can't quite remember) so it's not exactly overly original in the beginning. Then you find out what happened to the kidnapped person (not telling here to avoid spoilers :) ) and then the game basically sends you off so you can get to know more about the factions.

What a disappointment...Oh well, at least I can look forward to The Witcher instead.

Right. Unless something has gone majorly wrong with The Witcher (and there is no indication of that luckily), the difference between The Fall and The Witcher (quality-wise) should be like night and day :) .

I personally don't understand at all how someone can voluntarily submit themselves to Spiderweb games but yet there are people who do buy, play and enjoy these games so if you have a high level of tolerance and can live with a totally sub-par presentation and lack of polish, lack of modern features etc then you might be able to squeeze some fun out of The Fall... maybe.

Isn't that apples and pears? I personally don't like Baldur's Gate too much, it gets boring for me soon, but I know it's a well-designed game which, and there's the kicker, does exactly what it intends to do for the people it's intended to target.

The same goes for Spiderweb games. I'm not going to stand on my head and defend Jeff's genius, but the Spiderweb games are expansive and well-designed, tailored to good gameplay and great useability. They dump off on graphics (including any form of graphical progress over games), because that's what they *intend* to do.

That's not the same as the Fall. Though I've never played it, from your description I would surmise that the Fall fails to do in what it attempts to do. This is rarely the case for Spiderweb.

Isn't that apples and pears? I personally don't like Baldur's Gate too much, it gets boring for me soon, but I know it's a well-designed game which, and there's the kicker, does exactly what it intends to do for the people it's intended to target.

The same goes for Spiderweb games. I'm not going to stand on my head and defend Jeff's genius, but the Spiderweb games are expansive and well-designed, tailored to good gameplay and great useability. They dump off on graphics (including any form of graphical progress over games), because that's what they *intend* to do.

That's not the same as the Fall. Though I've never played it, from your description I would surmise that the Fall fails to do in what it attempts to do. This is rarely the case for Spiderweb.

OK, to clarify (maybe Spiderweb was a poor example) ;) ... I'm the picky kind of gamer who gets easily annoyed if a great feature of one game (or something that has become a quasi-standard in a genre) is missing from another game or when it is poorly implemented.

The Fall is a party-based RPG. I have personally played Dungeon Siege and most of Bio's/Obsidian's party-based RPGs. The party management in all of those games is excellent. The interface, the keyboard shortcuts, the (shared) party inventory etc. - I just hated it that a lot of this level of convenience was missing in The Fall.

The same goes for a lot of other (more or less important) features. After playing games that are by far of a higher level of quality than The Fall, I'm finding it very hard to go back and to settle for less.
I guess you could say that I'm a "forward-orientated" gamer, always on the look-out for the "next big thing" and improvements from one game to another. I have a very low tolerance level for annoyances, tedium, boredom, unnecessary micro-management and repetitive actions (whether it's combat, managing the inventory, selling/trading stuff or whatever else). That's why I said that liking The Fall or not might depend on one's individual level of tolerance.

Back
Top Bottom