HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Interesting post by Vince from Irontower Studios:

How to Survive Indiepocalypse in 5 Easy Steps

Step 1 - Design

Your game has to stand out. It has to do at least one thing extremely well, preferably something that hasn’t been done before. Why be an indie game developer if not to try new things, right?

It’s not enough to do a game with tried and true mechanics, because in most cases "tried and true" has been done to death long before you decided to throw your hat into the ring. If all you’re adding to the recipe is new visuals, think twice. Sure, it’s possible that Kim Kardashian might tweet about your game and it becomes the next internet sensation, but Kim’s busy taking selfies, so let’s not rely on dumb luck alone.

Of course, every rule has exceptions. If you’re replicating the tried and true gameplay of something as venerable as Jagged Alliance 2, Wizardry 8, or Shadow of the Horned Rat, go right ahead. If not, don’t bother.

For our first game, we went with Choices & Consequences (C&C) – an "easy" category considering that 99% of games promise meaningful choices but never deliver because it takes a very long time, which is something we’ve learned the hard way after making the game for 11 years. AoD gives you:

• More meaningful choices than you can shake a stick at
  • Parallel questlines showing events from different angles and points of view
  • Radically different "Craft Your Own Story" playthroughs

For our next 'full scale' RPG, we’ll raise C&C up a notch and add party "dynamics", which will be very different from what you’re used to and go against the established design staples, possibly upsetting some folks in the process (again). It’s a very ambitious design, but as I said, doing what’s been done before – even if it was done by you – is not enough. You have to push forward or you will not survive.

Step 2 – Community

Now that you’re working on your game, you have to build a community around it and spread the word. No matter how well-designed your game is it will fail all the same if nobody knows about it. Yes, that too is your job.

Many indie developers look at what the AAA developers do and take notes. They think that if they act like the AAA boys, you know, professional and shit, everyone will assume they are real developers too and take them seriously.

Don’t do semi-official press-releases where you quote yourself. Don’t ask volunteer testers to sign NDAs as if you have the time, money, or desire to enforce them. Don’t write you own EULA on Steam as if Steam’s EULA isn’t good enough for you. Worst of all, don’t guard your stories and design ideas because someone might steal them. Yeah, Bethesda will decide to postpone The Elder Scrolls 6 and steal your shitty totally awesome ideas instead.

You have to sell people on your vision and you can’t do it if all you give them is a brief summary and Todd Howard’s famous “Trust us, it will be cool” line.

We’ve posted everything we had from day one. If we didn’t show something, it’s because we didn’t have it. We’ve "spoiled" every aspect of the game and answered every question about the game on as many forums as we could, giving people reasons to follow the game.

Go out into the world and engage gaming communities. Don’t hide behind moderators or "community managers". People who give a fuck about your game don’t want to be "managed", they want to talk to the guys making the game.

I made over 10,000 posts on multiple forums talking to people who showed interest and had questions. Oscar made over 6,000 posts. That’s not counting posts on Steam since we launched on Early Access and even more posts later after the game was released. If you can’t be arsed to talk to people who’re interested in your game, don’t expect them to support you in the future. Find time or you won’t stay in this business for long.

A word of warning before we get to the next chapter: when mingling with people you might discover that not everyone thinks your game ideas are as great as you think they are. Some people might actually harbor suspicions that your game sucks and be willing and even eager to share these thoughts with everyone they run into. You’d better get used to it because it’s going to happen a lot. ‘tis the magic of the internet.

Step 3 – Making a Game

Surprisingly, this step isn’t really about making a game. If you can’t make one, this handy guide won’t help you. It’s about the "economics" of it. You see, unless you hit it really big for an indie, like Darkest Dungeon-big, you won’t make a lot of money (for a real studio). Thus you must budget and ration like a lost-at-sea sailor to avoid these two fairly typical scenarios, which happen more often than you might think:

• You made a good game, it sold well for an indie but now you’re 100k in debt because the costs spiraled out of control. Basically, you made a good game but you spent more than you should have and now you’re dead in the water.
  • You made a good game, it sold well for an indie, you recovered your initial investment and bought yourself an ice-cream but you have no money to continue and now you must try your luck on Kickstarter where you get not what you need to make a game but what you can get, which is anywhere from 10 to 30% if you’re lucky.

Treat what you earn from the first game as your operational budget for the second game. So the more you spend making your first game, the less you’ll have to make your second game. You see, the first game is always done on pure enthusiasm. You’re making a game, living the dream, working part-time, evenings and nights for years, because sleep is overrated. Enthusiasm is a great and cheap resource but you can’t run on it forever.

The goal here is to survive the indiepocalypse and build a real studio, right? So you make a game on enthusiasm, use what it earned to make a second game, use what it earned to make a third game, etc.

The Age of Decadence sold over 50,000 copies to-date at $22 average. The revenues aren't our reward for 11 years of hard work (that's done and gone) but our budget for the "Colony Ship RPG", our second project.

Step 5 (yes, we’ve just jumped from 3 to 5 because math is a social construct) – Make Another Game

You made your first game and it sold well enough to continue. Congrats! Now you have to do it all over again, but you need to do it better (see Step 1) and faster. In our case it means making the second game in 4-5 years without lowering quality. We’re aiming for 4 years; 5 is acceptable, 6 isn’t. Granted, the main reason AoD took so long is because:

• We had no experience, aka time-consuming trial-and-error approach to game design.
  • We had no tools, no systems (things like combat, dialogues, etc), no engine; literally everything had to be done from scratch.
  • We worked part-time for 10 years (enthusiasm doesn’t pay the bills) and switched to full-time only when the finish line was already in sight

... so there's a good chance that we can make a better game in 4-5 years but it's far from certain.

Anyway, the point is that your first game shows that you have what it takes to make an indie RPG that stands out in a crowd and sells enough to keep you in business. Until you do it again, the first game’s success is nothing but a fluke. You have to perform consistently without any margin for errors because the first mistake might kill you.

A second successful game will secure your future and turn that fellowship of geeks that is your team into a real game development studio. That’s the last hurdle to overcome, which is by no means an easy task.

But wait, there’s more…

Step 4 – Recycle

Even if we manage to make the Colony Ship RPG in 4-5 years AND it will be well received by our existing audience AND it will sell enough to make a third 'full scale' RPG, releasing games once every 4-5 years might not be enough to survive.

I wish we could expand our team right now and hire more people but we can’t, otherwise we risk running out of money and releasing the second game deep in debt (see Step 3). We need a reliable revenue booster, so we’re going to recycle and make an inexpensive tactical, party-based RPG using the first game’s engine, systems, and assets. Such a game is relatively easy to make, since we’re using the already existing building blocks, so the plan is to put it together in under a year and hope that it’s well received.

If it works, the revenues will boost the second game’s budget just as it enters production (we’re working on it now while the Colony Ship RPG is in pre-production), allowing us to get a couple of extra people and spend more money on art.

If it works, we can release a tactical combat game after each 'full scale' RPG and boost the next game’s budget.

Bonus Chapter – What About Marketing?

What about it? Marketing is a game of chance that all but guarantees winning IF you have enough money to stay in the game. There’s a famous saying attributed to John Wanamaker who knew a thing or two about marketing: "Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is I don't know which half."

It’s all about effective frequency, which means that you have to have faith and keep throwing money at ads even when they give you no return whatsoever. Harvard thinks that the magic number is nine. Most people have to see your ad nine times before they start responding to it. Thomas Smith thought the magic number is twenty. Krugman was convinced there are three phases: curiosity, recognition, decision, but obviously each phase takes a number of ads.

So what it means is that unless you have enough money to run ads until they start turning profit, don’t do it. You will spend 5k of your hard-earned money, which is the equivalent of a penny in the exciting world of advertising, get nothing and stop advertising, thus wasting the 5k you’ve just spent.

Without a marketing budget, your options are limited: you need the goodwill of the gaming media, which brings us back to Step 1 – design. Unless your game is worth talking about, the media will ignore it. They want to write what people want to read. If nobody wants to hear about your game, well, this brings us to Step 3 – Community: your most effective way of marketing your game and creating that interest that might result in the media gods looking at your creation favorably and blessing your efforts with a preview or a quick impressions article.

Overall, I don't think there was EVER a better time to be a game developer. Sure, the landscape is crowded (12,818 games on sale on Steam right now, which is insane), but the market is HUGE and there's plenty of room for everyone. There are over 125 million Steam users - that's paying customers able to buy a game with a single click, and all you need to do well is make a game that would appeal to 0.05% (or 0.3-0.5% if you like money a lot) of that ever-growing market. It's easier said than done, of course, but far from impossible.
More information.

In 2015/2016 there were a lot of new indie releases. It's hard to get enough attention in such a crowded market.

What indiepocalypse? Clearly, the expectations that solo made projects funded on $1000 would turn out a profitable business were maybe a bit disconnected. If that is enough to declare an indiepocalypse.

The lesson on true and tried mechanics is bold considering that the indies are mostly about rehasing the same recipe over and over again, changing the dressing here and there.

Very few original products coming from the indie scene. Many of those who tried also did not deliver.

For the most part, indie products are re employing already done formulas, often without matching the quality of the model.

I'm playing more indie RPGs than AAA titles these days. Old dungeon crawlers and turn based games are back again, thanks to Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight.

Fans of Survival games and Rogue-likes have a large selection as well.

Players who are into story games and JRPG combat can buy a lot of good RPGMaker games (I can recommend Ara Fell for example).

There's something for nearly each taste to find.

Original games like Undertale, Stardew Valley, Underrail, Age of Decadence have success, because the devs are really dedicated to their game over years.

Find time or you won’t stay in this business for long.
Explain your bad decisions and make people believe your crappy game is good for them? Make a good game that draws in players so you won't have to herd cats on forums. This is from a self-proclaimed developer of the utterly awful and to the gaming genre completely unnecessary The Age of Decadence. Urgh.. Lots of egomaniacs charlatans post junk on the net nowadays.

@mercy
Age of Decadence is certainly not a game for everyone, it is an experimental game where choices really matter. Sometimes it feels like a Choose Your Own Adventure book mixed with challenging combat.
I don't think it's awful at all and an at least interesting addition to the genre.

What indiepocalypse? Clearly, the expectations that solo made projects funded on $1000 would turn out a profitable business were maybe a bit disconnected. If that is enough to declare an indiepocalypse.

The lesson on true and tried mechanics is bold considering that the indies are mostly about rehasing the same recipe over and over again, changing the dressing here and there.

Very few original products coming from the indie scene. Many of those who tried also did not deliver.

For the most part, indie products are re employing already done formulas, often without matching the quality of the model.

Has ChienAboyeur played all of the indie games released? No? Half of them? Still seems highly unlikely. Yet if one is going to claim such sweeping generalizations are true that is exactly what is required. Otherwise it's just empty claims.

I'm not denying that the indie game scene churns out plenty of garbage… but so does the AAA scene! Budget does not necessarily correlate with quality, except perhaps in graphics, animations.. production values. But that does not mean a higher quality product, unless one equates eye candy with quality.

Finding a good game is a bit like finding a needle in a haystack… But as of late, and particularly for the RPG genre, you're far more likely to find a quality indie RPG than a quality AAA RPG. And yes there are more original, niche indie titles… In order to persist, AAA publishers are adverse to taking risks on something different, so they tend to stick with the "winning formula"; churning out clones of clones is safer than fresh, innovative ideas.

But the biggest difference between AAA / mainstream games and indie is that non-indie games are much more likely to get media coverage… And generally, the bigger the publisher, the greater the coverage. Games with a massive advertising budget tend to receive the most favorable coverage and high review scores; at least on for-profit gaming sites. The same dull, unoriginal formulas that an AAA game can get away with, if not praised for, get bashed when an obscure / indie title utilizes them. This is not a coincidence.

Yet if one is going to claim such sweeping generalizations are true that is exactly what is required. Otherwise it's just empty claims.

I'm not denying that the indie game scene churns out plenty of garbage…

The power to tell one thing and the opposite in the same breath. This power was quite rare in the old times, but grew well spread over the last couple of centuries as people kept sticking and promoting logical fallacies.

Basically, telling that the indie scene churns out plenty of garbage is not a sweeping generalization until another tells it.

The civilization of double standards, unable to keep one standard for something that trivial as that stuff.

Beside, it is unrequired to try every single product, half of them etc
In many countries, collectors go to garage sales, bazaars etc, looking for collectibles. They are usually able to assess the junk from the collectible item at a glance. There are even tv shows on that (called something like auction wars), even though in those tv shows, people are forced to buy to see. Nevertheless, they know when they get that item, drown in junk.
There's something for nearly each taste to find.
No. Actually, even the AAA scene is more diverse. The indie scene offers plenty for a restricted group of tastes.
Original games like Undertale, Stardew Valley, Underrail, Age of Decadence have success, because the devs are really dedicated to their game over years.
With such a sample of original products, it is going to be quite hard to tell one product that is not original.

Eg, SV is a lookalike to of a product named Harvest Moon that offered the same core features. HM is a more focused product than SV and have a finger in many less pies than SV.

The power to tell one thing and the opposite in the same breath. This power was quite rare in the old times, but grew well spread over the last couple of centuries as people kept sticking and promoting logical fallacies.

Basically, telling that the indie scene churns out plenty of garbage is not a sweeping generalization until another tells it.

The civilization of double standards, unable to keep one standard for something that trivial as that stuff.

Saying that there is "plenty of garbage" is not even close to saying that "the indie scene is mostly rehashing the same old formula" and that "Very few original products coming from the indie scene". I assume English is not your first language, so please look up the definition of "plenty" as it is not synonymous with "most". I've played plenty of poor quality indie games but I've also played plenty of high quality indie games. This is not a contradiction. And I haven't played nearly enough indie games that I feel I can make a generalization about the quality of them as a whole. Hence, no double standard.

Beside, it is unrequired to try every single product, half of them etc
In many countries, collectors go to garage sales, bazaars etc, looking for collectibles. They are usually able to assess the junk from the collectible item at a glance. There are even tv shows on that (called something like auction wars), even though in those tv shows, people are forced to buy to see. Nevertheless, they know when they get that item, drown in junk.

This is a very poor analogy as collectible trinkets are not similar to playing video games. Unless you're collecting games with no intention of ever playing them and judging them purely on the screenshots, trailers, etc..

I know I won't enjoy first person shooters or platformers because I don't enjoy those types of games. But I wouldn't go so far as saying all games in these genres are "bad" simply because I wouldn't enjoy them. I can respect that some of these games are a higher quality than others.

But I wouldn't give much credence to one's opinion of a game who has admittedly never played said game. Unless they judge a game purely on graphics, but I don't value the opinion of graphics whores.

No. Actually, even the AAA scene is more diverse. The indie scene offers plenty for a restricted group of tastes.

If you find the AAA scene more diverse, it's probably only because you are more familiar with AAA games than indie games. Name a type / subgenre / style of game that has never been attempted by an indie developer. Even if they're only revisiting already existing formulas as you claim, that doesn't make them any less diverse than big budget titles.

A really good article by Vince, I'll consider this in my game building.

Back
Top Bottom