BattleTech - Beta Plans and Character Bio's

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The latest kickstarter update for Battletech tells us about Harebrained Schemes Beta plans and lets us know about some of the characters we will meet during the campaign.

CAST OF CHARACTERS

For the purpose of making introductions, we're taking you three years beyond the point where our June Campaign Setting Details update left off, into the thick of a conflict that threatens to tear the Aurigan Reach apart. The bios and descriptions below could all be considered MILD SPOILERS - they occur after the inciting events of the game's Prologue chapter - so if you'd like to remain completely spoiler-free, you may want to skip reading this section. For everyone else: let's meet the main cast of BATTLETECH!
[...]

HOW ABOUT THAT BETA?

Whether it's at GenCon, PAX, or on http://battletechgame.com/, the biggest questions we get these days is, "When's the Backer Beta start?" The answer we've been giving is "Winter". Well, Winter starts December 21st so it's time to spill some (limited) info.

Now in case you didn't know, HBS has never done an external beta before, so we're entering new ground here. Obviously, we'll do our best but as you well know, "No plan survives contact..." and all that. Therefore, in order to prepare for the Backer Beta, we're currently working towards a dry-run of the beta experience for our family members to "blow out the pipes", test our process, and make sure everything's ready for you.

Until we complete our dry-run and make any necessary adjustments to our plans, we won't be able to give you a firmer date for the Backer Beta, but we can tell you that it's targeted to begin sometime in the late January - early March timeframe and will run for at least a month. Once that beta is up and running, we'll start things off with SKIRMISH MODE and then add PVP MULTIPLAYER after a period of time. The goal of the beta is to test our core combat system and will only be a slice of the shipping game's total content, so it won't include ALL the ‘Mechs, MechWarriors, maps, and environments that will come in the finished game. (Also remember, the open-ended mercenary campaign and single-player story will NOT be part of our Backer Beta.)

As noted in our Kickstarter rewards, only Backers at the $50 MECHWARRIOR reward level and above will have access to the Backer Beta, but there will be no restrictions on participants sharing their impressions, screenshots, etc. so that everyone can stay in the loop.

More Beta logistics and details will be forthcoming closer to the Beta launch announcement.
More information.

Next to inXile and Larian Harebrained is the "Kickstarter" developer that has the delivered the best games in my opinion, I'm really looking forward to this one.

Yes. I don't have much patience for a lot of the amateurish nonsense that goes on with Kickstarter, but the likes of Harebrained do things properly, and justify the idea.

Next to inXile and Larian Harebrained is the "Kickstarter" developer that has the delivered the best games in my opinion, I'm really looking forward to this one.

If nothing else they really showed progress from the first Shadowun Returns.

If nothing else they really showed progress from the first Shadowun Returns.

I liked the first one too, but I agree both Dragonfall and Hong Kong where improved in several areas.

Love the Battletech world and can't wait for this game, but does anyone know what time period the game is set in? I personally hope its set in the earlier time period, maybe just before the Clan Invasion or during. The "Dark Age" stuff is kind of meh to me.

Love the Battletech world and can't wait for this game, but does anyone know what time period the game is set in? I personally hope its set in the earlier time period, maybe just before the Clan Invasion or during. The "Dark Age" stuff is kind of meh to me.
Well it's set in the Succession Wars Era that many gamer's call "Classic BattleTech". So it's safe to say it takes place after the Great Collapse, and the various Clan Wars.

Timeline Link - https://s3.amazonaws.com/www.harebrained-schemes.com/kickstarter/BATTLETECH-TIMELINE.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom