Knights of the Chalice Impressions @ Rampant Coyote

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Jay Barnson has kicked up some impressions from the Knights of the Chalice demo:
The combats are challenging. You won't be hacking and slashing your way through 'em - at least not in the demo. Not only do you have to be pretty tactical with your positioning and spell use, but you also need to husband your resources a bit so that you not only survive this combat, but the next one you don't know anything about. In classic D&D style, you only recover spell points while resting (at a campfire, in this game), and so the whole resource-management between multiple combats thing is strongly in effect here.

Oh, and you'll have to deal with stuff like 5-foot moves (a free position adjustment you can take every round), attacks of opportunity, and so forth. The AI has to deal with it too. A nasty spider-like Aranachak has a number of spell-like abilities, and is constantly backing up a square each round to fireball, web, acid spray, and to heal itself. They know the tricks. It's not hard to imagine a devilish Dungeon Master on the other side of the screen, plotting out the moves to best screw over the players with otherwise "fair" fights.
More information.

I agree with almost everything the big coyote had to say except for the font. It really isn't that bad.

This game was definitely a nice surprise. I too didn't expect much when I first heard about it. Other than the nifty icons that look like they were taken straight out of the Darksun games, there didn't seem much to this. But like Depths of Peril it was a pleasant surprise just how good the game was and how quickly it was released. It seems like it was only a few months ago that rpgwatch did a news bit on it.

Last edited:
I've gotten used to the font (and coming from the old 16-color 320 x 200 days, I've had worse), but when I was looking at a screenshot and trying to tell whether a character was an 'X' or a 'K' I had to agree that yes, it was pretty bad. The all-caps thing doesn't help readability any, either.

However, I have heard rumors that a patch is coming soon which should address this and other issues... so one of the bigger complaints should be getting at least alleviated soon.

I'm all for more surprises like this one!

Patch is no rumor, steps are being taken. Granted, nobody knows for sure how long it'll be...likely going to depend on how things combo with bug fixing and other user feedback related improvements. Game is definitely not DOA like some other unfortunate PC ones.

This is a wonderful surprise ...

Just think if this game had modern graphics, it sounds like it could have been a true classic.
If you play the game in a window, the low resolution is not so much of an issue, IMO. C'mon, the graphics aren't so bad that they'd make your eyes bleed. To me they have a lot of old school charm and besides, like the old saying does: graphics does not a good game make. At the very least, you get used to the graphics pretty quickly and can focus on the game, which is loads of fun. Now that a font-changing patch is in the works, even the "weird" font shouldn't be a problem (once that patch is released, that is). I've played the game for c. 10 hours now and I like it a lot. Sure it has it's wrinkles, but on the whole, this is a very solid indie game. Two thumbs up!

Ran into my first bug with the game. Am I wrong but a human can duel weild a kurki? I was trying to put a longsword in the main hand and a kurki +1 in the off hand. It kept saying wrong size catagory then crashed. Still not too bad so far.

I'm still a little surprised by all the people who have a hard time with the font? I guess not too many FRUA players here :D

Edit: The rules are slightly different than good ol' D&D. Since I'm a medium sized character I have to use medium sized weapons. That is where the spell reduce weapon/enlarge weapon comes into play. If you find a weapon you can't weild then make it smaller/bigger.

Last edited:
It is a fun little game, the combat actually reminds me of TOEE for obvious reasons. I found some parts of the interface annoying though, like having to hit the 1 key just to advance text. Speaking of which...you guys weren't kidding about that damn text.

You can also just mouseclick that line where the text is to advance it instead of hitting the 1 key.

I'm shocked that in all of the comments I have seen, including on their forum, I have not seen comments from someone who has played the game on how good the storyline is. Isn't that an important part of a game like this? Maybe I missed the type of comment I'm looking for and/or maybe it's too early for anyone to have gotten far in the game.

I grew tired of ToEE because the plot was just go to that place there is evil there. I slogged through combat after combat just because it was there. I want/need something more than that, something interesting in terms of story or player motive. How is that here?

In any case I am going to wait for the font issue to be fixed, it seems as though many are enjoying the game and have a lot of other good suggestions.

It's your basic story. Nothing new or unique. Not horrible, but nothing you haven't seen in a Dungeon Magazine. It reminds me a lot of the goldbox games and I'm not just saying that because of the damn font. The sidequests have that goldy feel to them. Not exactly sure what the main storyline is yet since I've just gotten out of the starter dungeon and heading to another town. Something to do with orcs that's for sure. They are always the red herring ;)

The shocker for me was the difficulty and the AI. If you're looking for depth....well there is motivation for your actions, but it's pretty linear. You can go wherever you want, but you'll get your butt handed to you if you stray too far off the beaten path.

The thing I didn't like about TOEE is once you got into the temple that was it for the quests if you were good. At least in this one there are still quests all over the place. I'm supposed to be looking for the Chalice, but I'm pretty sure I won't find that until later on. In the meantime there are villagers to save and rings to find :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom