Phoenix Point - Epic Games Store Announcement

But why is that a major issue? "Buying enforced exclusiveness" is essentially what happens between creator and distributor in most every creative industry. Is it so different from labels competing for bands, or publishers for novelists? They have to try and offer the sweetest deal, often including an advance and a guaranteed return. To my mind, that's how I want the middle-men in every industry - competing fiercely, in a healthy market.

I buy your analogy the day the label signing the band you like have you graft another pair of ears you can use only with their titles and you have to wash with their products.

I buy your analogy the day the label signing the band you like have you graft another pair of ears you can use only with their titles and you have to wash with their products.

A slightly extreme comparison for the inconvenience of using a new freely-available software client, I would say. To me, such an inconvenience is heavily outweighed by a more competitive market for distributors.

Indeed, I was a bit heavy on there. :)
But as I said in a previous post, you get Steam, GOG, Epic, Origins, Battlenet, Ubisoft, Bethesda, Windows MarketPlace. It is too much.

Is it? Isn't there a difference between - develop a game for me so i can sell it on my store (ea) and here let me give you some money so you can't sell it anywhere else for a while...

But why is that a major issue? "Buying enforced exclusiveness" is essentially what happens between creator and distributor in most every creative industry. Is it so different from labels competing for bands, or publishers for novelists? They have to try and offer the sweetest deal, often including an advance and a guaranteed return. To my mind, that's how I want the middle-men in every industry - competing fiercely, in a healthy market.

You seem to miss the major issue here. There is no problem with the developer choosing to sell their game on epic at a lower price than other platforms or only on epic because they think they will make more money. The problem is epic BUYING the enforced exclusiveness.
-
I.e, it isn't the developer deciding that they will get a bigger cut and do better by selling on Epic - it is epic offering them a chunk of money and saying well if your game doesn't sell we will ensure you get a few coins but in exchange your not allowed to sell it anywhere else for a year. Naturally we don't have data but my guess is epic is the winner here not the developer (at least hte developer who might have otherwise had a smash hit - i suppose those games that wouldn't sell well anywhere are doing well with this deal).

They bought nothing.

Both parties acknowledged the risk of releasing on this platform while facing a monopoly situation. They agreed on an insurance against it.

None of the parties expect to sell less than the $1M mark.

Devs come for 12pc cut and probably a longer stability in price as this platform might not drag them in the steam discount storm.

Smaller cuts, longer period to sell the product at full price due to the exclusivity period of time...

From my 22 US$ pledge they will transfer 13,72 € to my account - that is a joke!
The fees have to be astronomical - and for sure Snapshot Games did neither anounce nor cover this.
That's the way you will get people to never buy a game from you.

From my 22 US$ pledge they will transfer 13,72 € to my account - that is a joke!
The fees have to be astronomical - and for sure Snapshot Games did neither anounce nor cover this.
That's the way you will get people to never buy a game from you.
Buy, but Gollop can also gave up participate any kickstarter ever.

Not ask to pledgers before to decide is saying A LOT on Gollop mentality.

I see it wasn't a purchase when Epic paid money to make the game exclusive on their platform - well then what was it - a bribe ?

They bought nothing.

Both parties acknowledged the risk of releasing on this platform while facing a monopoly situation. They agreed on an insurance against it.

None of the parties expect to sell less than the $1M mark.

Devs come for 12pc cut and probably a longer stability in price as this platform might not drag them in the steam discount storm.

Smaller cuts, longer period to sell the product at full price due to the exclusivity period of time…

After Good Old Games started I was their big fan. And actually I still am, It just doesnt work for me for other then old games or smaller indie games.
For me Gog lost because of indies games, they release at best 10% of the indie games I buy.

But also because I suspect their fans have contributed a lot to Bioware harassment and destruction. I stopped buy anything to them when Bioware get banned to RPG. I won't deny the story is a lot more complex than that, but the level of hate could only make things get worse.

I only use two online platforms, great old games and steam. I'll always buy from GoG first, assuming they have the product for sale. I like their business model and it's nice to know I actually own the product.

But also because I suspect their fans have contributed a lot to Bioware harassment and destruction. I stopped buy anything to them when Bioware get banned to RPG. I won't deny the story is a lot more complex than that, but the level of hate could only make things get worse.

Yeah. Fans are so nasty with Bioware, EA is so gentle.
How is Stockholm this time of the year?

You use the word butthurt on a regular basis and I’m the child ? Funny. Only person i know over 12 using that on a regular basis.

It’s not ignorant or drastic, you just have a hard time controlling your emotions when some says negative things about studios you like. Same thing happens with the Witcher.

My comment is so ignorant and drastic that your the only one that felt the need to respond. Of course you felt the need to respond to most negative comments in this thread. So i wonder was it my comment or is it you?

I'm not talking about a specific studio or game that I like. How many times are you going to parrot that same bunk?

I responded because I believe your comment was ignorant. That's just my opinion. You're the one getting bent out of shape over it. You're also being disingenuous by trying to project my intent as something other than what it was.

I think most rational people would agree that hoping a developer fails completely is drastic. Of course a thread like this on the Watch isn't going to have a plethora of rational people. That's just par for the course here.

You have every right to your opinion and I have every right to respond to it. If you can't handle that then perhaps this isn't the place for you?

I'm not even talking about a specific studio or game that I like. How many times are you going to parrot that same bunk?

I responded because I believe your comment was ignorant. That's just my opinion. You're the one getting bent out of shape over it. You're also being disingenuous by trying to project my intent as something other than what it was.

I think most rational people would agree that hoping a developer fails completely is drastic. Of course a thread like this on the Watch isn't going to have a plethora of rational people. That's just par for the course here.

You have every right to your opinion and I have every right to respond to it. If you can't handle that then perhaps this isn't the place for you?

Not sure what i cant handle?

The big bad JDR13 and his ego, lol.

So your opinion is that this site doesn’t have many rational people? First you insult me and now the entire site. Maybe this isn’t the place for you?

Now you’re saying its your opinion earlier you posted it was fact which is it?

Not sure why you think I’m mad,You’re the one throwing around words like butthurt, petty, ignorant and childish not me. I’m quite fine, thanks.

Anyway you and I obviously don’t communicate effectively so going in circles is probably a waste of both of our time.

Not sure what i cant handle?

The big bad JDR13 and his ego, lol.

So your opinion is that this site doesn’t have many rational people? First you insult me and now the entire site. Maybe this isn’t the place for you?

Now you’re saying its your opinion earlier you posted it was fact which is it?

Not sure why you think I’m mad,You’re the one throwing around words like butthurt, petty, ignorant and childish not me. I’m quite fine, thanks.

Anyway you and I obviously don’t communicate effectively so going in circles is probably a waste of both of our time.

Now you're putting words in my mouth and projecting more bullshit in typical sakichop style.
That's been your M-O for awhile now.

I didn't say the Watch doesn't have many rational people, I said a thread like this isn't going to have a plethora of them. A lot of posters here are quick to jump on any bandwagon that has to do with needing to install another client and act like it's the end of the world. It's been that way for awhile now.

You're obviously not "fine" or you wouldn't be trying so hard to twist things I'm saying into something else and pretending it has anything to do with ego. I can handle someone having a different opinion, but I hate dishonesty.

So yeah, we're probably just going in circles here.

Now you're putting words in my mouth and projecting more bullshit in typical sakichop style.
That's been your M-O for awhile now.

I didn't say the Watch doesn't have many rational people, I said a thread like this isn't going to have a plethora of them. A lot of posters here are quick to jump on any bandwagon that has to do with needing to install another client and act like it's the end of the world. It's been that way for awhile now.

You're obviously not "fine" or you wouldn't be trying so hard to twist things I'm saying into something else and pretending it has anything to do with ego. I can handle someone having a different opinion, but I hate dishonesty.

So yeah, we're probably just going in circles here.

Oh, i get it. You’ll be picking which threads the people of the watch are rational in and which they aren’t. Thanks for clarifying.

Telling me how i fell again.

I guess it must be true if JDR13 has said it.

If you hate dishonesty then maybe you should do some soul searching. Nothing to do with ego, lol.

Dude, please go way. Now you're just devolving into a desperate little bitch.

Yes, that was an insult. I'm going to call it as I see it from here on out. Do you want to keep going?

Dude, please go way. Now you're just devolving into a desperate little bitch.

Yes, that was an insult. I'm going to call it as I see it from here on out. Do you want to keep going?

Keep going with what? your petty little insults. I’m so hurt how could I continue?

Your roid rage doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

Back
Top Bottom