Lurking II: A Madness (In Development)

Have you thought of doing HD art after the engine is finished?
Thanks for posting. I have. I carried out a test run with some new tiles and found that I was not at all pleased with the look. Because the world presentation walks a line between detail and representation, the added detail/realism of higher resolution didn't work. I know that there are enough games out there with great graphics but after a lot of thought, I realized that what I have created is exactly what I wanted for this game. I am a huge fan of Infocom games and early RPG creations mostly because that is what I grew up with but also because it left some interpretation up to the imagination of the player making the experience unique for each. I have found a great deal of satisfaction in making L1 and L2 and I am hoping that the huge intake of cash I noted on Kickstarter for another similar retro RPG game (with even more retro-looking graphics) is an indicator that there is an audience for my creation. :)

Merry Christmas Oklabsoft.

Lurking II: A Madness is now complete. My brother and I are playing through the game and cleaning up. It won't be much longer before you are able to enter this unknown realm. Playthrough thus far has been exceptional for me. It is great to see that not much balancing has been required and mechanics are working such that strategies and situations I had not even considered are presenting beautifully. Looking forward to sharing what we have created in just under 16 months and counting. :)

Congratulations! Looking forward to giving it a go.

Early Access

We have decided to make Lurking II: A Madness available 'early access'. We will finish up a few things and post a build on itch as early as this weekend for anyone who might be interested in jumping in. Through the process, we will be using feedback to improve the game for those who would rather wait to try. The game is currently quite stable.

index.php

Congratulations! Looks great. I'll give it a go in a week or so when I finish the game I'm currently playing.

Will you try to get it on Steam/gog at some point?

Edit: just adding the itch link
https://oklabsoft.itch.io/lurking-ii-a-madness

Last edited:
Had a quick go. Works fine. I had one bug on the options screen (game froze) but otherwise no problems, and I wasn't able to reproduce the freeze (next time it worked fine). I explored around a bit, spoke to some villagers, and fought some orcs and zombies. Combat was a bit confusing but I haven't read the read-me yet where it's probably explained I imagine. The mini-map is a good addition - it would be very easy to get totally lost without it! The game already feels huge. It's great that it just lets you wander off at the start and go in whatever direction you want.

Thanks, Pongo. Really appreciate you giving the game a try. I have not been able to produce that option menu freeze but someone else reported it too so I will figure it out. If you can play without reading the ReadMe then I have done my job but it contains some useful keyboard shortcuts such as CTRL-M from inside the game will hide/unhide it so that you can access other apps like notepad for journaling or whatever (never could get ALT-Tab to work) while you are playing. Thanks again and look forward to hearing more! :)

Here are a couple of things that have been identified that I have already corrected for next update:

Fixed diagonal movement through non-portal (interior) doors.
Fixed wake up times from camping.
Keyword 'ROOM' = 'BUY' for Innkeepers.
Lead character now highlighted out of battle mode and when idle.
Urth Inn room location fixed.
Added tool tip keyboard values when mousing over icons in tray on Gameview.

And I am working on:

Occasional freeze on game options view.
Issues with 'GIVE' from character view not working properly.
Issues with ADD/DROP at adventurer guild (party suddenly switches to a separate location).
(***I have not been able to reproduce any of these so please send me any details you can remember if it happens to you)

Thanks for playing and for all feedback.

The first update to L2 is now available which addresses some minor bugs and UI/UX issues. Thanks to all EA players for your feedback. Thankfully nothing game-ending reported yet.

Is it still permadeath? If not, I may give it a look.

Is it still permadeath? If not, I may give it a look.

No it is not. You have the option to save at any time (or not and restore from previous save point). You would just want to make sure that autosave setting is off which it is by default. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom