General News - 13 Biggest RPGs of 2020 @ GamingBolt

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Some of the big RPG releases of 2020 listed by GamingBolt:

13 Biggest RPGs of 2020 You Definitely Need To Play

Once long ago, role playing games were the purview of a small niche of a market, and were largely considered to be financially unviable. Fast forward to today, and role playing games represent the single most popular genre of games on the market, to such a ridiculous degree that elements of RPGs pervade and infect every other genre on the market - including former kings of the hill such as shooters or even fighting games.

But this list isn't about those. This list is very specifically about honoring the best role playing games - true role playing games, as opposed to games with role playing elements - that came out this year. As you might expect, there were a lot of incredible ones. But here are the ones that stand out as among the very best ones.

• Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  • Wasteland 3
  • Yakuza: Like A Dragon
  • Nioh 2
  • Demon's Souls
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Genshin Impact
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Defenitive Edition
  • Dragon Ball Z Kakarot
  • Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning
  • Crosscode
  • Persona 5 Royal
More information.

Pretty sad when the list of only 13 games includes a pretty basic 'remaster' (KoA), a remake of a 23 year old game - that doesn't even remake the whole game, another re-release for a new console, and another remaster for a new console ...

... that is basically half the list that is old games that are either ports to new consoles or remasters.

That list looks pretty rubbish to me, I tried Kingdom of Amalur when it first released, and hell no, no thanks! Three others on the list are of interest but I'm not sure if they are available for the computers yet, those being Crosscode, Persona Five and the Xenoblade offerings. At least Wasteland three is there.

Yeah most lists this year are terrible. Even on mainstream console sites.:(

Other than CP 2077 which I've already played, the only games of interest to me there are Wasteland 3, FF VII Remake, and maybe Demon's Souls.

Other than CP 2077 which I've already played, the only games of interest to me there are Wasteland 3, FF VII Remake, and maybe Demon's Souls.

Yes, those four games and I'll personally add KoA Re-Re (which, in fact, I already own) and AC: Valhalla (which I'll grab some time ahead, perhaps to my PS4 library).

Demon's Souls - This is a game that makes me want to own a PS5, a console whose purchase is, in fact, another project in itself (Brazilian prices are prohibitive).

Final Fantasy VII Remake - I played the PS4 demo and the combat is TOTALLY revamped when compared to the original's one. For people who think this is only an ordinary remaster (that kind of remaster which only adds new textures, 4K support and the like) I recommend downloading the free demo (I don't know if it's still available on the PS Store) and playing it.

Final Fantasy VII Remake - I played the PS4 demo and the combat is TOTALLY revamped when compared to the original's one. For people who think this is only an ordinary remaster (that kind of remaster which only adds new textures, 4K support and the like) I recommend downloading the free demo (I don't know if it's still available on the PS Store) and playing it.

Yeah, I've watched some footage, and it's very different from the original game. I would have tried the demo, but I don't have a PS4. It'll probably be one of the first games I check out when I get my PS5.

The notion that you "definitely need to play" Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning is hilarious...

Well, the list looks to be a bit console-centric with Persona 5 on the list but not 4. And, of course, no Troubleshooter:AC.

Well, the list looks to be a bit console-centric with Persona 5 on the list but not 4.

I don't personally think the re-release of any game belongs on a best of the year list. I'm obviously not including FFVII Remake in that because that was not a re-release, that was a totally new game, albeit based on an old one.

Right now I'm playing Valhalla and Yakuza Like A Dragon on PC - both are a lot of fun so far.

Lemme see...
AC Valhalla - currently playing and am not impressed.
Wasteland 3 - no mmo under my roof!
Yakuza: Like A Dragon - a masterpiece!
Nioh 2 - neverheard
Demon's Souls - neverheard
Cyberpunk 2077 - IMO the game of the decade despite it's bugs
Genshin Impact - episodic lootboxes, yes it's fun, but best RPG it is not
Final Fantasy VII Remake - neverheard
Xenoblade Chronicles Defenitive Edition - neverheard
Dragon Ball Z Kakarot - mediocre grinder
Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning - forgot this chest respawning abomination exists
Crosscode - neverheard
Persona 5 Royal - it's prequel on Steam is superboring so not buying this

AC Valhalla - currently playing and am not impressed.
Wasteland 3 - no mmo under my roof!
I know you have the strange fetish of labeling SP as MMO. But WL3? Really?
I've played and finished it but can't remember anything being even close to MMO when it's played as SP game.

AC: Valhalla is a lot more intrusive in this regard.

Easy GotY for CP2077, despite all its flaws. And yet another forgettable RPG year in general. At least it's better than "The Outer Worlds" year, so there is that.

Granted I haven't played CP2077 yet, but am playing the The Outer Worlds and Greedfall now shortly after WL3 and like WL3 the least. I haven't played any release this year that I liked as well as The Outer Worlds, Greed Fall or Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark, but I know that's a matter of taste. Anyways for me personally this is a terrible year for rpgs.

2020 is definitely a forgettable year for many reasons.

Lack of good RPGs is one one them.:nod:

So my 2021 hope is the pandemic loses strength and better RPGs get released.:please:

I know you have the strange fetish of labeling SP as MMO. But WL3? Really?
I've played and finished it but can't remember anything being even close to MMO when it's played as SP game.

AC: Valhalla is a lot more intrusive in this regard.

Wasteland 3 a MMO?... uh, something I'm missing here.

Wasteland 3 a MMO?… uh, something I'm missing here.
Nah it's simple since Wasteland 3 can be played as an online Co-Op game it's an MMO according to Joxer. Yes he makes no sense sometimes but he's good for entertainment.
Try flight simulators, 2020 was a gorgeous year for those (DCS, IL-2, MSFS2020)
It's a stretch to see that as an RPG though.
Not an RPG you can level up your pilot skills. That makes it an RPG.:p

I'm kidding by the way but that's how RPG elements make it into games.

Back
Top Bottom