BioWare - 2011 VGA Teaser

They've always said COD was their target, looks like they're cloning it.

What was that 1 second footage of a dragon in the beginning from?

So it's a unrelated war game with the Bioware name strapped on it ?

-Sergorn

I'm betting this will be the first Bioware game that we don't cover.

I was really hoping for something like Autoduel. I doubt it now.

Ah, so the BioWare brand is being whored out for any kind of game now? Not that BioWare wasn't doing their damnedest to ruin their name prior to this anyway.

1. Giant publisher acquires critically acclaimed studio that is admired by fans.
2. Promise the fans that nothing is changed. Corporate overlords will expand the studios possibilities, providing better games in the future.
3. Subsequent games seem to be stripped of the greatness and ambition evident in earlier games.
4. Start up other development teams and simply slap the studio brand on the games they develop.
5. Profit, for a while.

There is no ?????.

I'm not bitter about it though. Right? Riiight? ;)

How did they go from being my favorite game studio to one of my least-favorite in the span of about 5 years? This can't be all just EA's influence either, as some of these changes have to have been going on for quite some time. I suspect the two doctors are just tired of the RPG genre and happy to get out.

For me personally, I can only wonder how a company I enjoyed so much could fall so far so fast. I know others love their new games but I just can't get behind them anymore. I had hope with DAO, which I loved. I was willing to give them a second chance after DA2 ... but if they turn to making war games and continue streamlining they won't be games for me.

Even SW:ToR is a bit of a let down. I have been in the beta for two months and while the game is good its not special or great. The story telling is nice and different for an MMO. But there is no pizzazz to the game, nothing that stands out to make it any different then any other MMO.

Overall Bioware has apparently just moved on to other things it seems.

I knew it. They had a job opening for a new console project and it was stated you must have experience with console fps's. Guess there chasing that billion dollar standard set by Activision.

I know it was only a glimpse, but looks kinda RTS-y

This thread of comments so far is priceless. BioWare hasn't made a single game that I haven't enjoyed greatly (starting from Baldur's Gate 1 in the late 1990s) and yet a 3-second clip gets the haters out in full force. Lol.

I hope that BioWare sticks to RPGs such as Mass Effect and Dragon Age as that is what I enjoy, if they make some other kind of game (whether or not it's just their name slapped on it) I might not enjoy it at all unless it's of very high quality.

This thread of comments so far is priceless. BioWare hasn't made a single game that I haven't enjoyed greatly (starting from Baldur's Gate 1 in the late 1990s) and yet a 3-second clip gets the haters out in full force. Lol.

I hope that BioWare sticks to RPGs such as Mass Effect and Dragon Age as that is what I enjoy, if they make some other kind of game (whether or not it's just their name slapped on it) I might not enjoy it at all unless it's of very high quality.

The old Bioware is gone and we have to accept it. Am I a hater who knows. I go between loving the company to outright hating them sometimes with every new release.

In the words of Mr. Gaider"You cant just rest on our laurels". Brand name wont keep the money coming but blind allegiance will. COD proves that.

Call me a hater if you must but I'm not falling into the hype again. Who knows I may be proved wrong and its good but I'm not getting my hopes up again.

I hardly hate Bioware. I think they have made great games and will probably continue to do so. I just indicated they don't seem to be making the type of games I like anymore.

Nor was this based on a 3-second clip. I think most folks are just speculating for the fun of it. I lost some interest in Bioware when they moved into the ME games and Jade Empire. It returned big time with DAO which I adored. However DA2 was a major let down for a whole number of reasons. I didn't hate DA2, in fact I played twice (although that was partly due to not having any other games at the time), but it was a major downgrade to the franchise IMO and revealed a lot of things about their direction and what they consider important … which isn't on par with my own play style.

My own feeling that they are moving away from games I like and becoming more corporate is based on many things - games I have played, reviews, interviews, comments in forums, business decisions, any number of things.

The 3-second clip of war scenes could mean nothing at all (it did say New Direction - New Branch). It could mean they continue to make fantasy action/RPG games with one branch, an MMO in another, and are now moving onto a FPS comando style with a third.

Hardly any fun if they reveal a clip and no one says anything. Forum would be pretty dry and dead in that case. So speculating on clip combined with DA2 experience, and other sources mentioned, it seems like they are moving away from the more RPG focused games into action and FPS styles.

Bioware deserves every word. Nithrakis's post earlier said it all. The Bioware name appears to be set to become a cash-in name brand stuck on all manner of games, integrity has gone out the window in the pursuit of the almighty dollar, the doctors/co-founders apparently don't care about anything else. On the other hand, I'm sure Dragon Age 3 will prove us all wrong and be a classic return to Bioware's old school hard core rpg roots, and I also will then believe in the tooth fairy when that happens.

As far as I'm concerned, Bioware is Bioware Edmonton and the studios which are actually related to them like Austin's TOR.

Just because they put the Bioware names on unrelated studios doesn't make these Bioware games IMO. So basically whatever that game is, I'm certainly not gonna make a call on Bioware's future based on that - I'll look with what they do with Mass Effect and Dragon Age instead.

-Sergorn

As I said before. BioWare is heading in another direction. Not RPG's but more action games.

Back
Top Bottom