InXile Entertainment - Trademarks Meantime

killias2

Disastrous Fate
Evidence has surfaced over at the RPG Codex forums that inXile's next game may be an update of the unreleased time-traveling Wasteland 1 follow-up Meantime. It is unclear, but this may be the mystery project recently referred to in the Life Beyond Release Kickstarter update. In said update, Chris Keenan discussed, "another RPG that has been passionately demanded of us for a while now!"

More information.

Ah...time travel...wished they abandoned this topic alltogether.

Hardly any good (movie/game) came out of it. The logic is just too broken in order to work in a serious environment.

I was hoping it might be this game that they were hinting at.

Meantime was the first game I was ever really excited about that kept getting cancelled. C64 version, cancelled. Then…woohoo a PC version! Cancelled. Then vague hints about it a few years later…nothing to even be cancelled that time.

And now they're teasing me again.

Edit: As for time travel not being a good idea for a game because the science/logic behind it is too broken? Um, yeah, but having giant mecha-scorpions is so much more believable...not. It's a video game, not a friggin doctoral thesis. It doesn't need to be logical (or realistic) in the context of OUR reality as long as it's consistent within it's own reality (and is fun).

time travel is awesome
Soul reaver nailed it. 12 Monkeys nailed it
looking forward

Ah…time travel…wished they abandoned this topic alltogether.

Hardly any good (movie/game) came out of it. The logic is just too broken in order to work in a serious environment.
(Clive Barker's) Undying.
Contains time travel. I suggest you try that game. Will be suprised how good tt part is made.

Well, it's a shooter. Doubt that the story gets lots of attention there (compared to a RPG or Adventure).

I think the good thing about 12 Monkeys was, that they didn't explain it at all, did they? They let it be in a shroud of mystery which is the only way to not make it too apparent that it doesn't make too much sense.
Never played Soul Reaver, cannot judge it.

It doesn't need to be logical (or realistic) in the context of OUR reality as long as it's consistent within it's own reality (and is fun).
I completely agree with that! Problem is, that the logic to explain time travel almost never makes sense in the world's own reality.

On some profile pages you can often read about "Favorite Movie: Butterfly Effect".
It's appaling that this one can be someone's favorite movie. It's the most broken Time Travel Movie I ever watched.
I am too much of a logic-nerd (if you named it that way) to let such errors in the story slide.

The two Time Travel movies/series I enjoyed most are Bill&Ted and Back to the Future. But just because they don't set the expectation to be logical/realistic.

Anyways, though it's one of the setting I like least I will probably give the game a chance if everything else seems right. But if you take away the story from Wasteland 2, the negative parts of this game would outweight the good ones for me.

Now if only they'd make it using the Wasteland 2 engine and add in perks/traits… then backport the perks update. :)

Van Buren?
My wallet opened itself... Where's the kickstarter project!

Well, it's a shooter. Doubt that the story gets lots of attention there (compared to a RPG or Adventure).

I think the good thing about 12 Monkeys was, that they didn't explain it at all, did they? They let it be in a shroud of mystery which is the only way to not make it too apparent that it doesn't make too much sense.
Never played Soul Reaver, cannot judge it.

I completely agree with that! Problem is, that the logic to explain time travel almost never makes sense in the world's own reality.

On some profile pages you can often read about "Favorite Movie: Butterfly Effect".
It's appaling that this one can be someone's favorite movie. It's the most broken Time Travel Movie I ever watched.
I am too much of a logic-nerd (if you named it that way) to let such errors in the story slide.

The two Time Travel movies/series I enjoyed most are Bill&Ted and Back to the Future. But just because they don't set the expectation to be logical/realistic.

Anyways, though it's one of the setting I like least I will probably give the game a chance if everything else seems right. But if you take away the story from Wasteland 2, the negative parts of this game would outweight the good ones for me.

It is funny to contradict yourself in a discussion about time travel.

Who demanded this obscure follow up that never materialized?

Van Buren could be just an expansion to Wasteland 2.

Primer is a pretty good indie flick about time travel. And a thumbs up for 12 Monkeys.

I hope Van Buren really is Fallout 3 as it was supposed to be before Bethesda bought the Fallout license. If it is something related to Wastleland 2 I will be disappointed but since I actually liked that game I would still buy it.

Here is a link for anyone wanting more information on what Van Buren was supposed to be.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Van_Buren

I hope Van Buren really is Fallout 3 as it was supposed to be before Bethesda bought the Fallout license. If it is something related to Wastleland 2 I will be disappointed but since I actually liked that game I would still buy it.

Here is a link for anyone wanting more information on what Van Buren was supposed to be.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Van_Buren

There are a few problems though. First, Fallout 3 is obviously owned by.. Bethesda. Second, the talent that worked on VB is employed by... Obsidian. Third, weren't a lot of the ideas from Van Buren put into New Vegas? My understanding is that New Vegas is basically Bethesda's Fallout 3 + the original plan for Fallout 3.

Maybe it's a cheeky joke for announcing Wasteland 3?

Well, Chrono Trigger was a pretty darned good time travel RPG back in the day, so it can obviously work ;) It would be cool if you could actually move between a few set time periods at will, and your actions in the past effect what quests are available in the future, similar to Day of the Tentacle. I can imagine this would be hard to program right, and it would have a lot of bugs to work out, but it could be cool.

Isn't it weird to pay for a trademark for "Van Buren", since that was just a project name placeholder? Or else they're actually going to call a computer game Van Buren.

They cannot use Fallout name but real fans will know what Van Buren means.

Now that they have an engine used for WL2 they can expand upon it and make a game more similar to Fallout 1 and 2. They can even put it into WL world but into another part of it and call it Van Buren so it known that it does not have Desert Rangers in it.

Back
Top Bottom