Fallout 4 Early impressions...

I prefer to first define my character (ie. Wulf is an anti-tech, anti-gun guy who is a charming brute of a man) and then make him the best within his character personality.
I tend not to play brutes, somehow I always fill that role by adding sidekicks.
Charming thieves were always my "fetish". ;)

Of course, it doesn't mean such character should be master crafter, but also doesn't mean otherwise either. So I can't max upgrades on weapons/armors (dunno what's required anyway), but I can upgrade them a bit and the difference is already visible.

Ok, one other thing.

I just found power armor (mech suit) on the way to an early quest not hidden way out of the way or anything. As far as I can tell I can move just as fast and stealth works just as good. It also gives me more strength and I'm almost invincible now.

Why would I get this so early and why would I wear anything else now. All the other armor I've found and it's tons seem useless now.

Eh that's incredibly crappy rain worn piece of power armor though. It's great against bullets but electrical damage will ruin you super fast. An entire class of enemy does quite a lot of electrical damage - you'll run into them soon. It also runs on a very limited supply of fusion cores.

Also the game does track and apply benefits to special scores boosted over 10. Power armor (at least that which I've found) isn't going to boost most of them. Clothing and some lighter stylish armors can significantly boost agility and charisma in particular. If you're having a hard time persuading people, you actually will have an easier time of it if you get dressed up in fancy duds first for example and the difference it makes is far more significant than in previous fallouts.

The light armor my character is wearing right now (incuding head and eye pieces) gives me a perception over 10. Seems like it makes a pretty big difference.

Here's the first mod I've seen that allows you to adjust your rate of XP gain if anyone else is interested.
Not interested.
Seems not needed as so far mobs are not respawning in my game so I don't get crapload of XP on grinding over the unkillable trash.
If those do eventually start to respawn and annoy me in already cleared fasttravel destinations, please notify me when norespawn mod gets added.
Eh that's incredibly crappy rain worn piece of power armor though. It's great against bullets but electrical damage will ruin you super fast. An entire class of enemy does quite a lot of electrical damage - you'll run into them soon. It also runs on a very limited supply of fusion cores.
Great vs bullets and - melee.
And I didn't run into anyone with el. damage yet (except minuteman where one of the power armors is on the roof, but he was on my side). So it's soon in one case, not so soon in another. ;)

As you said, noone will be (ab)using it often because of lack of juice.
Unless someone finds and spoils everyone with a location of Zero Point Module (ZPM) if it even exists in this game.

Not interested.
Seems not needed as so far mobs are not respawning in my game so I don't get crapload of XP on grinding over the unkillable trash.
If those do eventually start to respawn and annoy me in already cleared fasttravel destinations, please notify me when norespawn mod gets added.

Great vs bullets and - melee.
And I didn't run into anyone with el. damage yet (except minuteman where one of the power armors is on the roof, but he was on my side). So it's soon in one case, not so soon in another. ;)

As you said, noone will be (ab)using it often because of lack of juice.
Unless someone finds and spoils everyone with a location of Zero Point Module (ZPM) if it even exists in this game.

I agree the power armor feels overpowered at first, but that changes really quickly when you run into some of the nastier things out there or one of the lightning rifle wielding packs. Not sure if that sort of turn around is intended, but it worked for me.
I do mean really soon. Pretty much as soon as you make do your next big quest for the main plot or progress down one particular main faction at all. If you stick to wandering yeah it'll probably be a while before you encounter them but there is a prominent type of enemy that are especially well suited for taking out people in power armor. They do at least take the "haha, I'm an armored GOD!" train of thought and send it into a fun and unexpected turn to "oh shit oh shit."

There are a ton of places where it is very easy to get owned. Feeling tough? Head east and die....

I tried to go west… Stumbled on invisible wall. :whining:

I actually found two.
Just a quickie question - am I alone who found two?
And I'm only 13 hours in the game.

pic.jpg

Just a quickie question - am I alone who found two?
And I'm only 13 hours in the game.

pic.jpg

I saw a guy on reddit who had like 6 of them after a few hours. They aren't exactly "rare" from the look of it.

Although, NPCs might hop into them if they are close by and empty when they are under attacks and leave with it (basically stealing it).

where is the game manual?

All I can find is the in-game help, which does not clarify everything (as noted by some other here who did not know certain key presses etc). I missed some tutorial stuff and the 'help' is less complete.

PS I really *hate* the trend of 'modern' games where they simply forego a manual. All too common. I love reading. Clearly they think reading wil cause your head to explode.

Although, NPCs might hop into them if they are close by and empty when they are under attacks and leave with it (basically stealing it).
Haha, that's great.

All I can find is the in-game help, which does not clarify everything (as noted by some other here who did not know certain key presses etc). I missed some tutorial stuff and the 'help' is less complete.

PS I really *hate* the trend of 'modern' games where they simply forego a manual. All too common. I love reading. Clearly they think reading wil cause your head to explode.
In today's software design it is common for end user applications to be so user friendly and intuitively usable that a manual is no longer necessary.

The problem is that developers aim for this but fail and the user suffers.

I saw a guy on reddit who had like 6 of them after a few hours. They aren't exactly "rare" from the look of it.

Yeah looks like basic rusted power armor isn't exactly rare. Mostly finding raider mad-max looking salvaged suits so far. Found about 4 of them. I guess since modding power armor (you can add a jet jump pack, integraed stealth boy, medical equipment, etc.) is kind of a thing there have to be more parts around to do it.

Yes the basic power armour is not rare. I have found 6 so far and at least 11 fusion cores. Raiders have them often. But the basic armour is low quality I found out, upgrades (a few fun ones too) complitely change it. The management of more then one armour is anoying, per station only one armour can enter, so I have stashed the different sets on different parts of the world. I wanted to experiment with different power armour parts.

I wrote that I found it too easy^^ until I encoutered masses of Superhumans.. I had to use the power armour with minigun and the junk gun to just barely survive and flee. Superhumans are off limits for now.

Yeah, it's strange that there's manual for FO4. I'm guessing they'll add it at some point.

There should have been a better tutorial for crafting. I spent nearly an hour looking for concrete to craft something as part of a quest before I realized that you can scrap just about anything by simply bringing up the crafting menu while focused on an object. i.e. ruined houses, etc.

Yeah, it's strange that there's manual for FO4. I'm guessing they'll add it at some point.

There should have been a better tutorial for crafting. I spent nearly an hour looking for concrete to craft something as part of a quest before I realized that you can scrap just about anything by simply bringing up the crafting menu while focused on an object. i.e. ruined houses, etc.

Yeah there's a sort of tutorial quest for settlement building that one of the guys (not preston) in your first settlement gives you but it does not explain stuff like that. It really should be more in depth.

Well, at least fusion batteries don't seem to be all that rare, I think I have eight or so now under lock and key.

And damn this game for too many nice options! There I was, all nice and happy with my uber sledgehammer and, during the course of ONE quest I get two awesome rifles....some weapon that seems to hurl junk at the opponents and a laser gun named Righteous Fury. With names like that who can refrain from using them?!?!?!

I can't make up my mind about agreeing with you or not. Lack of or insufficient tutorials is inconvenient. OTOH finding out by myself that I could scrap entire houses for materials was very satisfying.

pibbur who still holds Myst as one of his all time favourite adventures.

Can Dog die? I've yet to see a companion go down.
So far I had only dog, robot and minuteman available and neither can die.
Lydia syndrome. ;)

However, if any receives too much damage, they're not available in the fight any more till you clear hostiles yourself or heal them.

Back
Top Bottom