BattleTech - Let's Play Pre-Release

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
ChristoperOdd played the first 66 minutes of Battletech.

Let's Play BattleTech [Pre-Release] Part 1 Gameplay! BattleTech is about a war fought by noble houses through the use of giant Mechs! This is the campaign mode! Thanks to Harebrained Schemes and GOG for early access! 👇🏻 MORE INFO DOWN BELOW 👇🏻

[...]

Thanks Pladio!
More information.

Couldn't help myself and have watched a lot of the streams available.
If you want to watch somebody who knows what he is doing I recommend Bombadil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXwr0IjQleg&t=3649s

Of what I have seen this game indeed seems to have nailed it. Economy balancing might need some adjusting after release. Good players will likely swim in money at some point and newbs might go bankrupt after 2 months. You have to find a middleground somewhere. If it becomes to easy, there are always mods.

April 24th can not come fast enough!

Last edited:
Couldn't help myself and have watched a lot of the streams available.
If you want to watch somebody who knows what he is doing I recommend Bombadil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXwr0IjQleg&t=3649s

Of what I have seen this game indeed seems to have nailed it. Economy balancing might need some adjusting after release. Good players will likely swim in money at some point and newbs might go bankrupt after 2 months. You have to find a middleground somewhere. If it becomes to easy, there are always mods.

August 24th can not come fast enough!

*April 24th

Between this, Pillars 2, Pathfinder Kingmaker, WL3, BT4 I dunno how I am gonna find time to play all these games.

Bad Art Galore. If You can't color GUI just make it Ugly Stupid Black & White. Couldn't find anything to anchor my eye on this video during the quick skip-over.

Yeah, the obligatory patches should hit by around mid-May I think, that's when I'll be looking to delve into this one!!

Nah, this has to be day one for me. Bugs or not! Judging from the streams (which feature a 99 % complete version) there are almost no bugs. At least I couldn't see any.

I just wish they used some ragdoll physics for dead mechs and/or limbs to go flying off, bouncing down hills, etc. These animations are so delayed and stiff looking. They collapse onto invisible flat surfaces. It looks stupid to have a Blackjack melee with its gun barrels which would be useless if they got just a little bent. It's the game I'm most hyped for but it just looks like they've cut corners wherever possible. Whether they're being cheap or lazy or just plain untalented, who knows! How hard is it to put havok physics in your game?! Why does it seem so B grade production quality! Why do you start with a full lance of 4 and never get multiple lances? I was hoping to start with a single Jenner and work my way up to 8 or 12 mechs.

I just wish they used some ragdoll physics for dead mechs and/or limbs to go flying off, bouncing down hills, etc. These animations are so delayed and stiff looking. They collapse onto invisible flat surfaces. It looks stupid to have a Blackjack melee with its gun barrels which would be useless if they got just a little bent. It's the game I'm most hyped for but it just looks like they've cut corners wherever possible. Whether they're being cheap or lazy or just plain untalented, who knows! How hard is it to put havok physics in your game?! Why does it seem so B grade production quality! Why do you start with a full lance of 4 and never get multiple lances? I was hoping to start with a single Jenner and work my way up to 8 or 12 mechs.

The graphics don't bother me as much although it would have been cooler with mechs visually falling apart. I do agree on the full lance though, going from 1-2 mechs to a dozen over the course of the game would have felt more rewarding.

I agree that the animations aren't as crunchy and kinetic as they could be. Still looking pretty great to me. I have a lot of time for this studio.

Yes, some better physics for mechs falling on steep ground would have been nice. Although, more importantly they seem to have gotten the systems right. This matters more to me.

Multiple lances likely would have made things more complicated. I prefer them getting combat with one lance right first and then in success…

Since I've never played the pen 'n paper game, could someone explain what a "lance" is? I assume it's terminology for the way they're grouped together.

After watching streams, the product showed no bugs.

Why do you start with a full lance of 4 and never get multiple lances? I was hoping to start with a single Jenner and work my way up to 8 or 12 mechs.

The combat resolution time is already lengthy with four mechs on the battlefield. 12 meant seeing 12 times the animation every time.

Starting with one mech only makes no sense storywise, introducing the story of a guy building up to a lance would have taken too much time and the SP campaign looks beefy enough.

That being noted, the salvage system and trading allows to collect up to 12 or 16 mechs in the mech bay after adequate upgrades. Plus NPCs also join the battle field at time.

Quite a lot of content for streamers.

Graphics and animations don't look bad, but are very basic.

Back
Top Bottom