Game of the Year Awards 2016 - Best RPG

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here is the conclusion of the votes for Best RPG in 2016 according to our visitors. The actual winning vote was skipped and we made the entry at second place, the winner, because we like to do stuff like that.

If you want to find out the results, check out the article.

More information.

Here are the results of your votes.

Interesting. The Codex GOTY result should be published soon as well, but they were quite different.

Also, surprised to see 2 action JRPGs on the Top 5. Not what I expected from you guys.

Also also, Tyranny sucks. :mad:

Also, surprised to see 2 action JRPGs on the Top 5. Not what I expected from you guys.

You would see it makes sense if you considered the changes that happened over the last year or so with a new moderator or two pushing for JRPG's in spite of it being one of the reasons the .Dot was abandoned. And many of the old timers have moved on as well.

Isn't it better to have JRPGs than "none"?

DS3 and DD don't fit my traditional idea of what a JRPG is but I guess technically they are.

I voted for DS3, DX:MD and technomancer but DS3 was the only one I really enjoyed. I voted the other 2 because they were the only other games I'd played to any extent.

You would see it makes sense if you considered the changes that happened over the last year or so with a new moderator or two pushing for JRPG's in spite of it being one of the reasons the .Dot was abandoned. And many of the old timers have moved on as well.

Well as you noticed these games were voted by the players. So at least a number of people here seem to have played DS3 and DD, neither of which I voted for. I also think that these titles did so well is less reflective of newfound love of jrpgs, as the rather poor quality of western rpgs this year. I don't think that Tyranny will be remembered as a classic, Grim Dawn is a very well done hack & slay, but many people hardly consider it a crpg. And that's the problem. There were plenty of decent rpgs this year, but few anyone would call exceptional.

I knew those results would trigger the familiar mutterings. :biggrin:

Interesting. The Codex GOTY result should be published soon as well, but they were quite different.

Also also, Tyranny sucks. :mad:

Forget top5 and spot just top3.
Mainstream's The grinder of all grinders is not #1 and it's all that matters - to me. I thought someone from Codex will appreciate that too, but it doesn't look like it, somehow it feels you desperately wanted it to be #1 here and we "disappointed" you.

Btw I still didn't play Tyranny nor Grim Dawn and I didn't vote on any of these top 3 games but picked other ones. Are Tyranny and Grim Dawn better than that meh product? Watchers said yes and who am I to complain! So thumb up guys. :D

Kinda weird results to me, it doesn't seems to reflect the vocal minority on RPGWatch.

I'm surprised to see Grim Dawn at #2 a lot, I don't remember people talking about it around here outside the occasional news post.

Last edited:
Kinda weird results to me, it doesn't seems to reflect the vocal minority on RPGWatch.

I suspect that of a lot of the noisy groupthink negativity towards certain studios is disregarded by many resonable people.

To be honest, I'm a bit dissapointed with the results. To each his/her own, but for me it's too AAA, too ARPG and too JRPG.

I will do my own GotY... with Blackjack and hookers!

Yes, reading what the article said about 2016, I had to chuckle at the titles of the top three - Tyranny, Grim Dawn, and Dark Souls! And then only because the actual winner was nothingness. :biggrin:

Having none as the winner says something about last year I suppose. The list is definitely not the result I expected, but it is what people voted for.

2016 was a year of many releases and some smaller gems are among them (Ara Fell for example). But no game was really outstanding.

I have to disagree. There were outstanding games, but we were comparing everything with… with… Diablo 3? No, not that one… DA3? Not even that. Help me, which one?

And none came even close to that spectacle. Except maybe RoTR, but that one ain't RPG. So while maybe all felt like "meh", still some are better than others and sorry but IMO there were plenty of above average titles.

What is Ara Fell? And I just saw that The Quest was released in 2016. That's the RPG of the year for me.

Back
Top Bottom