Divinity II: DKS - Review @ Computergames.ro

I have played DKS on hardest difficulty with warrior and so far combat is a cakewalk. Too easy. I havent even tried to avoid hits (dodge enemy after you score hit). Doesnt seem to matter if the enemies hit me or not I have plenty of hp and it autoreplenisesh quickly. I have fought against goblins only so perhaps game becomes harder in the long run.

I tried ranger/wizard at the start too and they seemed little harder but less interesting. But I played dd and bd with warrior so thats the natural choice anyways.

Othervice the game seems very interesting. Love the dialogues, characters, books, picklocking and everything. The game has lots of interesting places to go. Lately I played drakensang and while both are great dks wins.

Better than DS? How so, the combat?

Not combat really (its nothing special just like ds) but the characters & dialogue & world are more interesting in dks. I.E if you read peoples minds you find som funny stuff there. Also unlike in DS you can actually go inside most houses and find all kinds of stuff. DKS feels more deep on many levels.

I don't see how you can really compare an action-RPG like DKS to a strategy oriented party-based RPG like Drakensang.

Nobody ever answered my previous question. Is there much of a connection in story between DKS and Divine Divinity?

@zakhal

Well, I disagree, I though the combat in DS was better than most recent RPGs because it was control of a party vs. a singleton. Out the recent set of RPG games that I can think of, only NWN 2, DA, and Spiderweb games can compare (unless one counts KB/AP, too).

If the NPCs, dialog, and world design in DKS is really phenomenal (ala PS:T), then the combat wouldn't matter so much, but I have yet to hear anyone say it was so terrific and overriding. I understand that one spends most of one's time in combat, as DKS is an action RPG more than anything else. Or am I missing something?

EDIT: looks like JDR beat me to it. ;)

Nonsense. You spend a huge % of your time in combat, especially in Divinity II.
Actually so far Ive done much less combat in DKS than everything else. But combat is not the thing that interests me in these games. Im more interested of characters, exploration. quest plots and dialogue. Those are better in DKS. As for combat I dont care whether its party based or action based.

@zakhal

Well, I disagree, I though the combat in DS was better than most recent RPGs because it was control of a party vs. a singleton. Out the recent set of RPG games that I can think of, only NWN 2, DA, and Spiderweb games can compare (unless one counts KB/AP, too).

I understand that one spends most of one's time in combat, as DKS is an action RPG more than anything else. Or am I missing something?
DD was said to be ultima7 with diablo's combat. Its was the only crpg where I had to wash dishes. DKS looks so far to be more of the same except its 3d now.

I dont think DS combat as anything special and I dont rate CRPGs according to their combat system. Its everything else in the game that matters most for me. Combat just adds to that.

Maybe you're just postponing the inevitable deluge of combat?
I wish. Im currently in a small village that is full of interesting stuff and people. So far Ive spent atleast and hour or two exploring it without doing any combat at all. And Ive been through only half of the village so far.

The late game (just like DD) might have lots of combat but for now theres so much else to do that I have little time for it. If this is suppose to be an action game it sure has lots of non-action too (just like DD).

Last edited:
If someone has played through the whole game, I'd like to know the overall combat/other_stuff ratio.

The original DD had tons of combat. I'd say it was easily 75% of the game (for me, at least, since I HAD to completely clear every area). ;)

What I did like was that enemies DID NOT respawn (unlike diablo/2). I hope the same is true for DKS!

Back
Top Bottom