Solasta - Released

Hm… so I'm having my first really annoying bug. In a conversation I can use the persuasion check. The option shows the char with the best persuasion value. But when I select the option actually another char answers and makes the persuasion check (and fails).

Is that aknown issue?
Long ago something like that had been reported, I thought this was fixed. Don't hesitate to report it in the forums or on Discord. Just to be sure, have you seen the actual bonus used for the check in the log, doesn't it take the best of the party even if someone else answers?

I think there's another potential issue with the way they designed the dialogues, if there are several checks with the same skill, and since it's one answer per character, your best character can only answer one of those. Now I've seen several answers per character, so maybe this isn't happening anymore but I haven't been in that situation.

Just to be sure, have you seen the actual bonus used for the check in the log, doesn't it take the best of the party even if someone else answers?
Didn't check the log yet, will do so tonight.
However after you select the answer option you can see the dice roll and the bonus. And there it's the wrong bonus.

I think there's another potential issue with the way they designed the dialogues, if there are several checks with the same skill, and since it's one answer per character, your best character can only answer one of those. Now I've seen several answers per character, so maybe this isn't happening anymore but I haven't been in that situation.

That would be a really dumb limitation if true. I don't understand the one answer per character thing anyways. We should be able to choose who answers every time.

Didn't check the log yet, will do so tonight.
However after you select the answer option you can see the dice roll and the bonus. And there it's the wrong bonus.
Then it's bad, this should be reported. In the mean time if you want, you can tune the difficulty settings to always pass checks in the dialogues, there's an option just for that. Or you pretend to see the bug as an extra roll on selecting the right character ;)

In Pathfinder, I'm pretty sure that the skill checks are always done with the highest bonus of the party, whoever is talking or acting (Lann is so awesome for athletics). In fact, it's usually the main character talking, so it would quickly be a limitation.

In DnD5E, what I found in PHB pg. 175 is slightly different (note the "might"):
Group Checks
When a number of individuals are trying to accomplish something as a group, the GM might ask for a group ability check. In such a situation, the characters who are skilled at a particular task help cover those who aren't.

To make a group ability check, everyone in the group makes the ability check. If at least half the group succeeds, the whole group succeeds.

Otherwise, the group fails. Group checks don't come up very often, and they're most useful when all the characters succeed or fail as a group. For example, when adventurers are navigating a swamp, the GM might call for a group Wisdom (Survival) check to see if the characters can avoid the quicksand, sinkholes, and other natural hazards of the environment. If at least half the group succeeds, the successful characters are able to guide their companions out of danger. Otherwise, the group stumbles into one of these hazards.
I would argue that a conversation is not done with everyone talking at the same time, and that the suggestion above seems wrong in that case. Only one gives the answer, and the player should be able to choose who in function of the abilities (and the game could conveniently propose the correct choice...).

Back
Top Bottom