Elden Ring Gameplay Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6pCyV7PnqI

Looking really good. But it also feels a bit like a mish-mash of different stuff. But if there's any team that can do it, it's fromsoft. I'm curios how large the world is.

And it's coming really soon. 21 Jan 2022. I'm surprised they already have a date. That's a good sign.

Looks like Dark Souls again and to me that's a big negative.:(

Shame on me for expecting something different from this developer.

ZjFrqKP.png

It's nice to finally see some decent footage.

And yeah.. it looks great at least from a visual standpoint. That footage must be from the PC version because there's no way that came from a PS4 or Xbox One.

I hope they also keep a mixture of the fast and versatile combat systems in bloodborne and sekiro. From the descriptions they also support stealth. I'll be curious how many styles of combat they'll support.

Now that I think about it, my only complaint is that it's too similar to Dark Souls. I think I would have loved something completely original, like Sekiro or Bloodborne were.

Now that I think about it, my only complaint is that it's too similar to Dark Souls. I think I would have loved something completely original, like Sekiro or Bloodborne were.

Well, they were clear from the beginning that it was going to be a fantasy setting.

I fine with what I'm seeing there. I just hope the difficulty is more customizable than their previous titles.

Well, they were clear from the beginning that it was going to be a fantasy setting.

Yeah, it looks very good. And I’m sure they’ll put a particular spin on this flavour of fantasy. I just hoped for something more unique. I think you could do a fantasy setting but make it drastically different. Anyways, useless to complain. I’m sure it’s gonna be good.

I wonder how the open world ties into the tight level design of their titles. I imagine it’ll lose some of that. But we’ll see.

I also wonder how mounted combat will work.

I think they are severely overestimating how high horses and goats can jump.

I think they are severely overestimating how high horses and goats can jump.
Logic has no place in a Japanese developed game.;)

At least it doesn't have school pantsu and other tropes.:lol:

I actually found Sekiro to be the most difficult. There were no easy options like summoning players or farming xp or upgrade materials. A few of those bosses were brutal. Especially early on I remember being worried I might actually not be able to beat a boss and it took a fair amount of determination to get past them. But I was glad I did. It's definitely very rewarding to finally beat them and move on.

Looks like Dark Souls again and to me that's a big negative.:(

Shame on me for expecting something different from this developer.
I dunno, maybe give it a chance? There's not enough amazing games out there to pass on Elden Ring.

I actually found Sekiro to be the most difficult. There were no easy options like summoning players or farming xp or upgrade materials. A few of those bosses were brutal. Especially early on I remember being worried I might actually not be able to beat a boss and it took a fair amount of determination to get past them. But I was glad I did. It's definitely very rewarding to finally beat them and move on.

I dunno, maybe give it a chance? There's not enough amazing games out there to pass on Elden Ring.

I constantly had the feeling that "this was it for me, I'll probably never be able to finish this boss". All the way to the end. I found that not being emotionally involved in the fighting made me perform way better, as was to be expected. If you fear losing something, you've likely already lost. But the level of frustration build-up after losing over and over does get tiresome. But it was all worth it. Fantastic experience in Sekiro. If it also had the victorian/cosmic-horror setting of Bloodborne it would easily be my favorite game of all time. This way it has to share it with BB and other games, as the best games I've ever played.

Dark Souls and Elden Ring from what we've read will allow for multiple ways to lower the difficulty indirectly. Either by being overpowered, maybe just enough to not make your play mechanics to be as critical to get perfectly. Or by summoning friends, and other such ways. And I'm also fine with that. The main thing I hope they get right is the interconnectedness of their games, and the level design that does this. Exploration is one of my favorite things about their games.

I just read an interview were it was stated there will be no villages, towns, or cities. Just six areas you have to travel and defeat the various bosses. My interest is gone.
Unlike many other open-world games, Elden Ring will not feature populated towns with non-player characters, with the world having numerous dungeon-like ruins in their place.
Creating a new type of game is a big challenge for us. If we would add towns on top of that, it would become a bit too much, so we decided to create an open world style game focused on what we are best at.”
I was correct it's just Dark Souls just more evolved.:(

I constantly had the feeling that "this was it for me, I'll probably never be able to finish this boss". All the way to the end. I found that not being emotionally involved in the fighting made me perform way better, as was to be expected. If you fear losing something, you've likely already lost. But the level of frustration build-up after losing over and over does get tiresome. But it was all worth it. Fantastic experience in Sekiro. If it also had the victorian/cosmic-horror setting of Bloodborne it would easily be my favorite game of all time. This way it has to share it with BB and other games, as the best games I've ever played.

Dark Souls and Elden Ring from what we've read will allow for multiple ways to lower the difficulty indirectly. Either by being overpowered, maybe just enough to not make your play mechanics to be as critical to get perfectly. Or by summoning friends, and other such ways. And I'm also fine with that. The main thing I hope they get right is the interconnectedness of their games, and the level design that does this. Exploration is one of my favorite things about their games.
Yeah, Sekrio was a really good game. :D

I haven't played BB but I think I did hear a rumour about a PC port? Far too early to get excited, but it would definitely be worth doing. I mean, whats there to lose? It was a PS4 game. It's no longer required to sell PS4s. If they're updating it for a PS5 remaster why not do the PC port and make some serious cash? No one can find a PS5 to buy, anyway. Pushing PS5 sales is pointless.

I think the interconnectedness in souls was, from a design perspective, just to cut out tedious legwork running back though an area you just finished and it just turned out to be extra fun because you had no idea where you were so you got that surprise when you end up back at firelink shrine or whatever. I think the dungeons will probably feature a lot of the "this door opens from the other side" thing but the open world with its horse for faster travel will probably be very different. It's still quite possible. Say, you get to the top of a mountain then turn on an elevator back down. One of the things I think I remember hearing about Elden Ring was along the lines of snow melting to reveal a cave so there could be some interesting connections revealed like that. Also, the day/night cycle could have some fun surprises.

I mean, its a From Software game and their most ambitious yet. How bad could it be? =)

BTW, did you play Nioh2? Even though it's just levels there were some pretty good ones and the combat was fantastic. Plenty of good boss fights! Also, its quite a long game because it reuses the maps for side missions. I managed to play normal mode for 130 hours but theres 4 difficulties which apparently add new enemy spawns, new items with new systems of progression, etc. Well worth a look!

Not getting the hype on this one, but am not a Dark Souls game fan. When I saw those huge "boss monsters" in the trailer, I inwardly groaned.

It has this certain look that a lot of AAA Eastern inspired games seem to have these days, where the world design is overly "theatrical", and just too fantastical for my taste. There has to be some
kind of realism in the look of the world for me to appreciate and be interested in the setting. Its kind of hard to explain what I mean here, but I tried.

Anyway, I basically hate almost everything in terms of rpg trends these days, lol, so please don't let me spoil anyone's excitement.

Back
Top Bottom