Wasteland 3 - Already over 65% funded

I got an email with a link to the campaign giving a $5 discount because I've backed a previous title.
So I "preordered" this for $28 which is quite a good deal I think.
Chances for this game to be bad our not to be finished at all are very low imho.

Yeah, they say the price of the final game is going to be $50.

I picked up a collectors edition like I have for every single one of their previous kickstarters.

People who back within the first 48 hours get UnderRail or Stasis free for Steam. So if you intend to back might as well do it then.

At least people can get one good game out of this deal.

The investment option is not amazing...

Imagining the game sells as well as Wasteland 2/Pillars of Eternity, you will make about 40-50% on your investment in about 6 years' time.

The S&P over the past 6 years has risen by 85%.

Even if WL3 sells 1m copies, you end up with 80%.

It's not a bad investment per sé, and if you have money to spare and at the same time want to support a developer, it's not bad, but you are unlikely to beat the market by much, if anything.

I got an email with a link to the campaign giving a $5 discount because I've backed a previous title.
So I "preordered" this for $28 which is quite a good deal I think.
Chances for this game to be bad our not to be finished at all are very low imho.

I backed three of their previous titles and I didn't get anything :(

You're missing the point. The update says the game is 73% funded in 10 hours. Yeah, technically true, but the reality is that it was already sitting at something like 55% (from investments from whoever) for days/weeks before the campaign even started.

Currently, it's sitting at $429K raised from pledges. Also, an additional $200K or so has been raised from "investors" since the campaign opened. Neither amount is all that impressive, considering that Torment (as an example) raised around $1.5M in pledges alone on its first day. Even Bard's Tale IV had over $700K of pledges in its first day. Investing that happened long before the campaign even opened allows them to craft a narrative that makes the early hours of the campaign sound wildly successful. Reality is that crowdfunding interest in it seems down, for whatever reasons (maybe cause it's on Fig, maybe cause of the multiplayer/"cinematic conversations" focus that most of its core audience won't want, who knows).

Where did you get those numbers from ??

The Wasteland 3 backer number (now 10450 backers @ $473K) is from the Fig site, you have to click on the little "i" button to the right of the funding progress bar to see it.

The Torment/BT4 numbers are from Kicktraq.

Or if you're asking how I knew the campaign was already roughly 55% funded (from investors) before it even started, that's because those of us who backed previous inXile Kickstarters got "early access" to the Fig page.

I originally (a week ago or so) couldn't verify my Fig account at all because the outgoing email server Fig is using was, at least at the time, on SpamCop's blacklist, which would prevent many people from receiving their emails.

I pledged. Granted I have backed every Inexile project so far. Steam says I have 52 hours into Wasteland 2, though I have not completed it, nor do I think I am all that close really. I liked what I played so far though and look forward to seeing it through.

The Wasteland 3 gameplay trailer looks awesome.

Also, being a previous backer got me a $5 discount, that's pretty cool!

Well, to be fair, the stock market was also recovering from one of the steepest crashes in modern history. A 50% return over 6 years is not bad, something I might even consider pretty good, and pretty low-risk with this product. There is also always the chance that you invest in something like Minecraft that totally blows up.

It's an interesting system. I may consider it in the future, but right now I just want to lend support and get a copy of the game.

I backed Wasteland 2, and also the new Bards Tale from inXile, but think I am going to hold off on this one until it is released and see if they do a Directors Cut like they did with WL2. I had already played WL2 nearly a hundred hours before the Directors Cut came out, and by that time I really didn't feel like revisiting it.

Yea the "already 65%" was hilarious marketing lie for anyone that has early access to the campaign and seen that investors already invested even before campaign started.

It confirms my theory that KS is being used more for hype/marketing than anything, now.

"Let's make THEM pay for our advertising!" cough, cough "I mean... the game!"

I backed Wasteland 2, and also the new Bards Tale from inXile, but think I am going to hold off on this one until it is released and see if they do a Directors Cut like they did with WL2. I had already played WL2 nearly a hundred hours before the Directors Cut came out, and by that time I really didn't feel like revisiting it.

Yeah. I figure I'll replay with the Directors cut in a year or two, since I had already finished the game when the Directors cut released.

The investment option is not amazing…

Imagining the game sells as well as Wasteland 2/Pillars of Eternity, you will make about 40-50% on your investment in about 6 years' time.

Even if WL3 sells 1m copies, you end up with 80%.

It's not a bad investment per sé, and if you have money to spare and at the same time want to support a developer, it's not bad, but you are unlikely to beat the market by much, if anything.

How did you calculate that ?

Back
Top Bottom